Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Not much going on here  (Read 13568 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Not much going on here
« on: February 24, 2014, 05:42:59 PM »
No one is posting anything here lately so now you have to look at some more of my stuff. 

This one is for a S&W J frame 4 inch bbl

Here is another Ipad cover a girl ordered.

Surely some of you guys have some leather you would like to show off.  Lets see some.  Whether you bought it,  made it, found it, or inheirited it, show us some photos.  Doesn't need to be a holster.  How about knife sheaths and possible bags, or ball bags, breifcases,  pistol rugs, boots, moccasins, cowboy cuffs, snuff can holders, belts, dog collars, arrow quivers, anything.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
Re: Not much going on here
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:47:49 AM »
Here's a holster wife and I did for East Texas

"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 03:49:48 AM »

This is one we did for any of my 51's or knockoffs. 

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:51:03 AM »

and one for the wife's Uberti Model P clone

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 04:31:57 AM »
I knew someone had to have some pictures.  Nice work Dave.   
I don't know why the picture posts are so large this time.  I guess I will reduce mine down next time.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:20:47 PM »
Mike, your work is top rate! Being a lefty, I pick up holsters where I can, have a bunch. They have come in handy on occasion as I modify them to fit my need. Here are three such modified holsters.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:41:15 PM by mazo kid »

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:28:11 PM »
Here are two that I did make, but used Chrome tanned leather as that was what I had at the time. For my SIG P238
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:32:29 PM by mazo kid »

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 12:50:31 PM »
I hope I am not taking over this thread!!?? I made this rig over 55 years ago, my first ever leather work.  I made this at the EM Club, Warner Kaserne, Munich Germany. They had all the leather, tools, patterns, etc. I didn't even have a Colt SAA at the time but it was something to occupy time. I had picked up an empty 45 ACP round at the range so I used that to make the bullet loops. The lacing is starting to come apart now as it is getting brittle. Also, I need to find a different buckle as the only thing they had to make one was sheet German Silver, thin stuff. I don't think I could make one like this ever again! I have more holsters to post if there is any interest, a couple I made, and some I have picked up along the way.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 02:07:44 PM »
cool holster rig Mazos!  Man, Germany is so different now. It used to be, every couple miles there was a U.S. Kaserne, now, pretty much all the troops are just in a few small locations. 

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 03:43:08 PM »
Scooby, you have done some nice work there!

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »
Dang!  That is some right nice looking leather all around there fellers.

Being a little bit of a cut up in the leather department myself I have a few things here and there.  I made this little J Frame sized holster for a three inch barreled Taurus Model 85 that I used to own.  The pattern came out of a Tandy Pattern Pack for Border Patrol Style Holsters.  It is designed to be able to snap on and off the belt easily.  My buddy who now owns the little gun still uses the holster.

My daily carry Ruger P-90 .45 ACP rides in this clip on the belt thumb snap rig I made up.  The belt clip does not come off my 2 inch wide leather belt without some effort, it is actually easier to just slide it off the end of the belt.

The last knife sheath I made was for my Arkansas Toothpick that I wear on the gun belt and holster for my short barreled Remington 1858 .44.  I also cooked up a bullet pouch for that as well.

Those are a few of the things I have done here lately.
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 07:48:01 PM »
Well, you are no slouch when it comes to leather work yourself! Uniform stitching separates the good from the ordinary, and it takes experience for that. I still struggle with that.

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »
I must admit to cheating a bit in the stitching department, I have a 5 to the inch and a 6 to the inch pounce wheel.  After dragging the grooving tool along the edge of the leather where it needs to be stitched up I run one or the other down in the groove depending on the thickness of the leather once joined.  The thicker the leather the 5 inch comes into play, lighter leathers can get away with the 6.  Once the impressions are in the groove, it is a simple matter to just use my stitch awl to poke them through and sew it up.  I made a homemade stitching horse to hold the stuff that needs to be sewn or laced even though I am a little anal about these things and tend to glue and stitch most things.  I like to line my projects so they have the heft and feel of quality leather goods inside and out.  A few things like powder flask carriers don't really need the thickness of a lined project though.

The same can be said for magazine pouches, I tend to like to carry two spares for my semi autos so they sort of off set the weight of the firearm on the other side.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 09:04:33 PM »
Nice work guys.  I like to see the things everyone makes for themselves.  It gives me insight into what people like.

Dave, you have some good designs going there.

Scooby,  nicest bags I've ever seen.  Did you make the horns yourself too?

Mazo,  I like the laced buscadero rig. You seem to have as many holsters as you do guns.  I only have two holsters. 

Jay,  looks like you didn't just start doing leatherwork yesterday.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 09:25:14 AM »
I haven't tried any bark tanning yet, but have a friend who tans and also does leather work. Here are two projects he did for me (the leather work):