Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My Ruger New Model Blackhawks  (Read 4412 times)

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
My Ruger New Model Blackhawks
« on: March 01, 2014, 10:36:36 PM »
Hi All,

While I would love to have something with a rampant Colt engraved on the grips or frame at the moment the closest I can come to that is with my Ruger New Model Blackhawks in .357 Magnum.  I also have a Uberti Hombre in the more traditional .45 Colt caliber but being an Hombre with it's matte black finish it doesn't even look like a Colt with the Color Case Hardened frame and parts and that drop dead gorgeous blue finish.  The Ruger New Model Blackhawks are a tried and true design that most everyone is familiar with.  Using their transfer bar ignition system allowing for filling the cylinder up safely with 6 rounds, adjustable sights as on the New Frontier Model Colts and in the case of both of mine, nice wood grips, they have a lot going for them.

The 4 and 5/8" barrel version came to me free.  A buddy who is involved in the Veteran's Organization that helped get me into my current mobile home and also lives in the same park had a room mate who was an older gentleman.  He passed away and among all the stuff that was left behind was this Ruger New Model Blackhawk without a cylinder.  Lon looked high and low for it all to no avail and not being very interested in what he considered a "partial" firearm he brought it over to me, the only "certifiable" gun nut he knows.  I was plumb tickled to get it.  I called the New Hampshire Factory where they assemble and work on these revolvers and asked if it would be possible to fit a new cylinder and replace a couple of minor missing parts, the cylinder pin release spring and nut.  They told me to send it to them and they would give me a call back to tell me how much it would be total.

I boxed it up in a USPS shipping box, addressed it and enclosed a letter with my name, address, phone number, and all the particulars concerning the revolver.  About a week later I got a phone call from a nice young lady who told me that for $175 they would refit a new cylinder and the missing parts, test fire it and ship it back to me.  I was rattling off my credit card number so fast she had to have me repeat it for her!

While I was waiting for my newly refurbished Ruger to get repaired and returned to me I happened to go up to a little gun shop up in Henderson that I go to for reloading supplies.  They have better pricing than most other places on primers and powder in the area and I like to support the little guys, well in this case, gals when I can.  After picking up a box of CCI Small Pistol Primers I browsed around the gun cases in the back part of the store where they have the revolvers.  The front display cases are mostly all semi autos and the three of those I have are sufficient to my needs.  In the furthest back case rested a 6 and1/2" Ruger New Model Blackhawk .357 with a spare 9MM cylinder in a little red cloth bag.  It was used, but hardly looked it and the price was right at $300.  I asked to look at it, checked it out closely, noticed that while it had been shot some to all intents and purposes, it might as well have been a new revolver.  Temptation got the better of me and after filling out the paperwork and giving up the plastic it followed me home.

A couple more days later the big green UPS truck rolled up to my place late in the day and the driver was pounding on my door.  He had a box marked with a Ruger in big red letters on the side of it.  The box was big enough that you could have stuffed a 7 and 1/2 inch barreled revolver in it.  Admittedly I was a little curious about that as I signed for my box and took it inside.  As soon as the door shut, the Buck was out and I was slicing at the paper tape that sealed the box shut.  Inside was my newly refurbished New Model Blackhawk in .357 Magnum with it's 4 and 5/8" barrel.  They had stuffed some cardboard and paper inside to absorb the extra space the much larger box had over the size of my short barreled revolver.  When I had sent the revolver in the bottom edge of the housing that held the cartridge removal rod and spring had been scrapped clean down to the aluminum by the cylinder retaining rod for a good 1/8" along most of it's length.  Careless handling by the previous owner had accomplished that.  The factory tech who had refit the new cylinder had taken care of that, it was now a uniform black overall.  The missing parts were replaced and the cylinder was just as if it had been the original.  I was tickled!  So now I had a pair of New Model Blackhawks, okay so one was longer in the barrel than the other, so what.

Taking them out to the desert with an assortment of hand loads that I like I soon discovered that they both shot great.  At 25 yards they both shot a little high so it was necessary to hold at the bottom of the number 8 ring on the 100 yard small bore rifle targets I was using to put them in the bull.  At fifty yards a little higher hold was okay and at 75 they were right on the money.  Trying out the 158 grain Semi Wad cutter's with gas checks showed that the 6 and 1/2" barreled on like them best when pushed to about 1350 FPS.  The shorter barrel liked them as well but seemed to do a bit better with a Lyman 150 grain semi wad cutter design at almost that speed.  The 150 grain version did not have a gas check either.  The best groups I was showing with their preferred bullets was hovering right around 1 and 1/2 to 1 and 3/4 inches if I did my part on the other end off a rest.  Standing up in the breeze, 2 to 2 and 1/2 inch was the normal grouping off hand.  I would like to try a heavier weight with them to see how that goes, I haven't even bothered to try anything but cast lead as it is my preferred bullet material.  Although it would be interesting to see what they would do with some zippy light weight jacketed hollow points.
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: My Ruger New Model Blackhawks
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
Nice write-up on your nice guns. I have had 2 SBHs, both in 44 mag. I sold the first one several years ago and traded off my latest one last Fall to a friend. I do have 2 Old Model Vaqueros which are built on the SBH frame but with fixed sights. One is in 45 Colt and the other in 44-40. Oh, and great shooting with your guns!

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:45:42 PM »
I like the Blackhawks only have one right now a 5 1/2 inch on 45 colt loves numerous handloads.

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:50:46 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have been looking around to try and pick up a .45 Colt or two New Model Blackhawks.  Currently the only .45 Colt calibered revolver that I have is my Uberti Hombre.  While it is a "Plain Jane" and lowest priced version of Uberti's Colt clones, it is actually a pretty handy little revolver.  Being as plain as it is with the matte finish, taking it out and about on regular runs to the desert is high on it's list of things to do.  I never had any experience with the .44-40 caliber, the .45 Colt being one that I was first exposed to in an old S&W Model 25.  While about as untraditional as it could get in the double action "N" Frame S&W, it did prove to me just how accurate a .45 Colt can be.  Since I have reloading dies and bullet molds in the caliber, it will continue to be on my list of useful and useable calibers.  Now if the Gun Show Gods will be kind to me and produce a New Model Blackhawk that is used but not priced as a new one is or heaven forbid, a new one priced lower than list, I will be all set. :-*
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:00:46 PM »
Very nice Ruger's Treadhead.  )k* Some guys have all the luck.  )l_

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:01:15 PM »
Gorgeous guns, Tread. I too, have a soft spot for the Ruger SBH and have the stainless model chambered in .44RM. I would love to see a write-up on your Hombre as well.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »
If you hand load there is usually a couple of pages under 45 Colt titled "Ruger or T/C only" I shoot a bunch of 250 grain JHP with a bunch of Winchester 296 powder.

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 09:30:48 AM »
Thanks Cap'n,

Hi Tom, being a long time hand loader and caster I have checked out the Ruger and T/C Contender sections of the reloading manuals for the .45 Colt a lot.  That sturdy frame and cylinder design gives reloading buffs a real option when it comes to that caliber in Ruger handguns.  I also followed Elmer Keith as a youngster, reading and studying up on what he did with the .44 Special in his quest for more power, turning it into the .44 Magnum.  While the new gunsmiths who are venturing into .454 Casull territory have opened up the old .45 Colt case design to a whole new world of handgun power.  Lengthening the case for proprietary .454 Casull caliber was a smart move as it not only ensures singling out the caliber for those bruiser loads, it also limits what folks can do with the .45 Colt caliber to a certain extent.  Owning a Colt .45 Clone such as the Uberti Hombre does mean that once I acquire a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in that same caliber I will have to be super careful about not mixing loads up.  Doing so would turn the older design into an instant hand grenade with the hotter loads the Ruger can digest with ease.
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!