Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: wells fargo  (Read 15758 times)

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
wells fargo
« on: May 18, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »
just took possession of an ASM brass wells fargo. hadnt been shot much, if any at all. so far ive taken it apart and took some of the burrs off. its quite a bit smoother. also chamfered the muzzle and chambers. ive also started a paterson style loading tool, but was wondering how you all load these little rascals with out a tool. i used a hammer but dont really want to carry one in the field or even to the range unless im adjusting something   ;)    i did load it with a full charge and 00 buck and was pleasantly surprized with the apparent power and accuracy.    mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: wells fargo
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:24:42 PM »
Most guys use an off-gun press, Mark.

http://www.blackdawgecartridge.com/catalog/bd_cyl_loader.html

You could also make one yourself fairly easy.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »
thanks capt, but that seems harder to pack around than a hammer.    :-*    mark

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »
thanks capt, but that seems harder to pack around than a hammer.    :-*    mark

Well, yes...but you asked..... )lI

Some folks use the frame and arbor as the "press" but that sounds like a huge PITA to me, and if you slip.... (jh
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 09:39:44 PM »
i had thought about trying that, too, but wasnt sure it would work. i did try pushing the cyl down on a ball but couldnt do it. maybe if i used smaller and softer balls either idea would work. or maybe ive just lost too much weight lately.      )k*    thanks, mark

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 04:33:35 AM »
Since there are no pics of this newly aquired revolver I have to assume that the gun doesn't exist and so there is no need to dicuss how to load it.

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 06:07:09 AM »
being severely electronically challenged all i can do is beg forgiveness.    ^j)      mark

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 06:58:29 AM »
OK, forgiven.  But I think you should work on it.

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 08:03:06 AM »
thank you, and i will.     L@J   mark

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »
just took possession of an ASM brass wells fargo. hadnt been shot much, if any at all. so far ive taken it apart and took some of the burrs off. its quite a bit smoother. also chamfered the muzzle and chambers. ive also started a paterson style loading tool, but was wondering how you all load these little rascals with out a tool. i used a hammer but dont really want to carry one in the field or even to the range unless im adjusting something   ;)    i did load it with a full charge and 00 buck and was pleasantly surprized with the apparent power and accuracy.    mark

Hi omarkw, the Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo has an arbor with a cup on the end for loading balls in that revolver. I use the Tower of Power loading tool where I made some fittings the right size for loading the 1849 pocket revolver cylinders. 0-buck is perfect size to easily press into the Uberti cylinder. However, the fit is so loose that a stiff overball lube is required to ensure that the balls remain in the cylinder on recoil. Buckshot uses hardened lead where it's difficult to load a 00-buck without a loading tool. Even cast soft lead 00-buck is a chore to load. The hardened lead 0-buck is easy to load.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 06:28:18 PM »
ssb, guess thats one more thing better about uberti than asm,my cyl pin is flat.  :'(     guess ill countersink it a little. i knew about the buck being hardened and hoped the 0 buck would fit better. do you know the actual chamber size of the uberti?     thanks everyone, mark

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 04:18:39 AM »
ssb, guess thats one more thing better about uberti than asm,my cyl pin is flat.  :'(     guess ill countersink it a little. i knew about the buck being hardened and hoped the 0 buck would fit better. do you know the actual chamber size of the uberti?     thanks everyone, mark

Hi omarkw, be careful that you don't change the length of the arbor. IMO if it is flat, leave it alone. Trying to find the correct sized projectiles for the Uberti was a real challenge. See this thread for that adventure:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,358.msg1885.html#msg1885

Specific to your question on the Uberti, see:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,358.msg1913.html#msg1913

IMO the only efficient way to load the Wells Fargo 1849 is by using a loading stand. That short loading lever of the standard 1849 is almost useless on loading anything larger than 0-buck. If you have a lathe you could make some brass rod loading tools where you use a plastic mallet to drive the balls home in the chambers.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 08:17:43 AM »
Hi omarkw, you may find this video on loading the 1849 Wells Fargo Pocket useful:

Regards,
Richard

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
thanks ssb, i was hoping for a loading procedure that would be a little more practial in the field instead of carrying so much stuff. mine is the model without a loading lever or i woud carry a small pipe for leverage. youre right, the 00 buck is pretty hard and i would be leary of the strain on the arbor using it. (brass frame). i slugged the barrel and 1 chamber and the chamber is about .005 smaller than the barrel. .316 compared to .321. doesnt seem conducive to accuracy. thinking about trying lees .319 mold but hate tying up $ without knowing. also thought about lees buckshot mold in 00 with pure lead, but again dont know how that would work because of the size. by the way, i did countersink the arbor but didnt take enough to alter the length. wouldnt matter anyway because mine doesnt bottom out, the arbor is tapered. i may put a set screw in to adjust the barrel to match the frame, which is pretty close to right at this time, to be determined later. another oddity, the serial no on the backstrap is E677xx while the one on the barrel is E577xx. anyhow it is an interesting little gun. anyway, thanks everyone for your help and advice

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »
Hi omarkw, don't lose heart. Once you get a good sized projectile, the accuracy can be excellent with the Wells Fargo. See this 7yd group I shot using a 32 S&W conversion cylinder in my Uberti Wells Fargo:

Discount the my first shot in the 8 ring, I then moved poa up for the rest of the group. I have shot 2" groups at 25yds with 32 S&W. The diameter of the bullet is so small that there is only ~0.002" rifling engaged in the projectile. These 1849 Pockets are inherently very accurate revolvers, the most accurate I own.

Regards,
Richard