Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Time to modify post  (Read 5954 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Time to modify post
« on: May 26, 2014, 05:14:48 AM »
Hi, it would be nice if the message board allowed more time to modify a post after posting before the edit message is posted. It would also be nice if we could edit our posts some days latter. Being much less than perfect I need more time to get my communications right.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Time to modify post
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 06:18:28 AM »
I don't see why it would really matter if it shows you edited your posts. After a post has been up for a day or so it will usually have some responses. Changing the posts content after that may make some responses not make sense or seem out of place. 
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »
I don't see why it would really matter if it shows you edited your posts. After a post has been up for a day or so it will usually have some responses. Changing the posts content after that may make some responses not make sense or seem out of place.

Hi Hawg, the other two "Simple Machines" message boards allows for editing just as I ask for here. I have never seen that editing and modifying feature abused.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »
Richard, I will look into it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »
I think you can edit on mine til the cows come home.  *6'
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »
Richard, I just re-set the window from 15 minutes to two hours. We'll see how that works for you.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:01:34 AM »
Richard, I just re-set the window from 15 minutes to two hours. We'll see how that works for you.

Hi Captain, thank you, us old guys need the extra time. Could you also set up the message board to edit posts over a day old? For example, I referred to the 1851 Yank as having a birdseye grip. That is not correct and I would like to change that to birdshead grip. I can't currently make a change (modify post) to an older post on this message board, but can on the 1858 Remington and Black Powder Times message boards.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 04:48:22 PM »

Hi Captain, thank you, us old guys need the extra time. Could you also set up the message board to edit posts over a day old? For example, I referred to the 1851 Yank as having a birdseye grip. That is not correct and I would like to change that to birdshead grip. I can't currently make a change (modify post) to an older post on this message board, but can on the 1858 Remington and Black Powder Times message boards.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, I guess I wasn't too clear. There must be two editing settings in this message board. This is what I would like to see:

Time available to modify one's post = forever.
Time before an edit message is attached to a post = 5 minutes.

Are those settings possible in this message board?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 06:15:27 PM »
Its possible.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »
Richard, the Remmy forum is set up with NO limit on editing. Don't know why; that's just the way it is. This one was set up with a 15 minute window, which I changed to 2 hours. I don't have an issue with allowing the OP to change/edit his post other than if you do alter or delete info, it can make subsequent posts become confusing or make little or no sense. I will ask the opinion of the other mods before making a decision, but I don't really have an issue other than what was mentioned.