Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My Range  (Read 23696 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
My Range
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:06:41 AM »
Hi, some photos of my steel target range.

Steel targets from the 100yd marker:

Steel targets from the 75yd marker:

Steel targets from the 50yd marker:

Steel targets from the 25yd marker:

Steel targets up close:

The backstop is made up of two layers of railroad ties with a six foot deep solid concrete block box filled with sand.

This is what you see when doing chronograph tests (the chronograph on a photographic tripod is placed behind the steel chronograph shield):

When I shoot high powered rifle, I remove the two steel plates from the center so that the rifle rounds end up in sand. Paper targets are used with high power rifle.

I also have two steel targets located 50yds from my house deck. The backstop is an old snowplow blade. These steel targets let me step out on my deck for some quick convenient shooting.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Re: My Range
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 07:15:17 AM »
Nice! Right now, if you were here, it would be illegal to use your range, even on your own private property, due to fire restrictions.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:34:52 AM »
Very nice, Richard! It would be so nice to step out in the back yard and pop off a few when I felt like it, but alas....... *Z$
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:41:40 AM »
Nice! Right now, if you were here, it would be illegal to use your range, even on your own private property, due to fire restrictions.

Hi Electric, does that even go for shooting modern smokeless? What state are you in and is that restriction only temporary?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 02:41:45 PM »
Richard, that is a very nice range, indeed. I can shoot in my yard also, but I am limited to just under 100 yards and slightly up hill at that. However, my backstop IS that hill, 100 feet high! I also have a level area 20-25 yards that also uses that same hill as a backstop.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 03:37:05 AM »
Richard, that is a very nice range, indeed. I can shoot in my yard also, but I am limited to just under 100 yards and slightly up hill at that. However, my backstop IS that hill, 100 feet high! I also have a level area 20-25 yards that also uses that same hill as a backstop.

Hi mazo, I would love to have a 100ft high hill behind my targets. A couple hundred yards beyond my targets and backstop is a road. All shots MUST end up on targets or in my backstop, or else. IMO 25yds is the most practical distance for target handgun shooting. Defensive handgun shooting only needs 7yds. Could you excavate the hill a little to get a level 50yd range?

I really enjoy shooting steel targets. The clang when they get hit provides instant feedback that helps practical handgun shooting proficiency. When the paint on the targets wears uneven, it's time for sandblasting the steel targets with a 12ga., fun.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 07:02:08 PM »
I got a kick out of your comment about sandblasting with a 12 ga.  *6'

More like "bead blasting"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:18:04 AM »
I got a kick out of your comment about sandblasting with a 12 ga.  *6'

More like "bead blasting"

Hi Captain, many years ago I purchased a number of cases of 12ga with #9 shot for ~$0.50/box. I never found much use for those shells until I put up my steel target range. Two boxes of those 12ga cleans off the old paint so well, the targets then look like new. Besides cleaning off the steel targets, doing the blasting is a hoot.

What's nice about shooting steel is that the targets are renewed after a day's shooting with just a few shots of spray paint.

Shooting steel has allowed the most significant improvement in my shooting skill in the shortest time. Unlike paper, the immediate feedback shooting steel allows the fastest benefit for practical shooting accuracy. While shooting from 50yds on paper is problematic for seeing results while shooting, the clang of the steel targets provides instantaneous feedback.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 11:17:45 AM »
Hi, got my tax refunds and going nuts buying gun stuff. I just ordered an 18" 3/8" AR500 gong for shooting at 100yds at my range, see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371359623171?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards,
Richard

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 07:11:44 PM »
What a great setup Richard.  I'm envious.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 09:29:03 AM »
Hi, got my tax refunds and going nuts buying gun stuff. I just ordered an 18" 3/8" AR500 gong for shooting at 100yds at my range, see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371359623171?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards,
Richard

Hi, the new 3/8x18" gong has been up for a couple of weeks and works very well. The new gong is the round one lower right:

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 09:35:48 AM »
That is one fine looking range, Richard.

Offline rbertalotto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 11:35:28 AM »
Richard,

Where are you located.....We're all com'n over!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 03:09:15 PM »
Hi, I had pretty much exclusively used my AR500 steel target range for handgun shooting. If AR500 steel is hit with any projectile with a velocity over 1800fps, the bullet will leave a slight dimple in the steel face. Shooting tactical handgun at close range with dimpled steel could have some lead splatter back at the shooter. Therefore I take the center steel targets down when shooting rifle and use paper targets. The older I get the lazier I become. I ordered some 4" AR500 gongs that will be used exclusively for high power rifle. They are cheap enough that even if eventually destroyed, good value is obtained, see what I ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361337082303?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

BTW, this seller also has a nice gong assortment for anyone wanting to set up a steel target range for low cost, see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281801921592?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'll post what I think of the quality of the 4" gongs when they arrive.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »
Hi, I received the 4 x 3/8" AR500 steel gongs. They are very nice, especially for the low cost. The gongs surface was a little dirty, but cleaned up easily with paint thinner. The gongs will be painted white and placed on the range for high power rifle shooting.

Regards,
Richard