Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: This One Came Home  (Read 12553 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
This One Came Home
« on: January 17, 2012, 05:19:51 AM »

Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: This One Came Home
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »
Nice, but which one came home? The gun or the watch?  *6'

Who cares........They're both sweet.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:28:11 AM »
The revolver came back after leaving 20 years ago.  It was built in Italy in 1978 and imported by Navy Arms.  The only identity mark I remember is "Jager", found on the barrel.  It picked up some baggage in the meantime, the ACP cylinder is newer, it left as a 45 long Colt.  I did the stocks using a piece of the densest elk antler I have ever seen, sure wish I could find more of that!  Everything I have used since has been porous and lighter in weight.  The front sight is an 1888 Indian head penny, [didn't everyone have to do that to at least one revolver?]  I will be working up blackpowder loads for the long case and smokeless ones for the short case.  Bullets will be 260 and 280 grain lead.  It should be fun.  I will try to get one load in each length to hit point of aim at 25 yards.  That will be the hard part, two cartridges, one sight setting.  No one ever said it was easy!

The watch is a lot older than the revolver.  It left Elgin Illinois in 1870 or thereabouts.  Built by The National Watch Company, it still runs but needs some adjustment.  Key wound and key set, it is a 30 hour movement so I wind it daily.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:18:12 AM by StrawHat »

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »
I took a little time today to look at my bullet molds.  In 45 I can cast from 235 to 280 grain bullets.  I will try the Lyman 454190, (255 RNFP) and the 454423 (235 grain Keith SWC) first.  The Keith was designed for the 45 Auto Rim but it should prove it's worth in the ACP case.  I also have mold that drops a 235 grain full wadcutter.  If I can find a good load with that bullet moving about 900 fps, it should make a great game load!  A couple of other molds but nothing lighter than 235 grains.  I used to go with lighter weight bullets for the caliber but found penetration and long range accuracy to be lacking.  So now I stay with heavier bullets and am happy.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »
Looking good there StrawHat!  ;)