Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What's Next?  (Read 7099 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
What's Next?
« on: October 12, 2014, 04:36:04 AM »
Fall is in the air and soon winter will arrive.  Also, gift giving season is fast upon us!  What guns or related stuff are you hoping to receive and what are you planning to give?
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: What's Next?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 05:31:00 AM »
It's a busy time for me.  Lots of family members want leather goods for Christmas gifts.  Spur straps,  holsters, wallets, chaps,  I make a lot of gifts for others to give also.

As for me,  this year I'd like to see gift cards.  Normally I'm not a fan of gift cards but this year I want to get started with some reloading.  I don't know exactly what equipment I want yet so Cabelas, or Sportsmans Warehouse gift cards would work out well.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:41:48 AM »
Just realized that I did not answer my own question.  For my brother, I put him on to a S&W M22-4 for a super price.  It was offered to me and I was able to steer it to him.

For me, time.  Time to spend with my wife, time to work, and time to shoot.  It seems I am always short of time.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 12:24:52 PM »
Not strictly gun related, but I hoping to get a nice stem-wind pocket watch and chain. I do Civil War re-enacting and my dumb quartz pocket watch just doesn't cut it for me while in uniform. Been looking at nice used 1880-1920 gold plated watches on fleeBay, but just out of MY reach, so if I ask for Christmas, just maybe. Sure would be nice.   :-*   <-L
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 01:25:08 PM »
SWMBO tells me that the pair of .45 Cal Colt SAAs and SS GWII takes care of Christmas, Birthday and Anniversary.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 03:50:46 AM »
Not strictly gun related, but I hoping to get a nice stem-wind pocket watch and chain. I do Civil War re-enacting and my dumb quartz pocket watch just doesn't cut it for me while in uniform. Been looking at nice used 1880-1920 gold plated watches on fleeBay, but just out of MY reach, so if I ask for Christmas, just maybe. Sure would be nice.   :-*   <-L

Not to pick nits but the stem wound pocket watch was invented in about 1851 and not in common use until maybe the early 1900s.  For a CW era watch, I would recommend you look for a key wound and key set watch.  Even so, they were neither cheap nor common prior to the 1870s.  By the 1870s, the prices had come down to where many town folk would be able to afford one.  Most folks relied on the ability to judge time by the sun.  Or the local clock tower and chimes.

A good KW/KS should be available for under $200 from a store.  From eBay, ???.  If you find you need a watch maker to effect repairs, I have a very good one.  PM me for more information.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 05:39:07 AM »
I want a henry rifle, but what I need to do is replace the $500 plus bifocals i accidentally destroyed at work.  I been wearing a pair with an old single script lens to get by, but really need the real deal.  Wish my prescription wasn't so expensive, but that's what it is.  From Walmart, no less
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
Man, I hate when that happens, Dave. Specs oughta not cost the same as a Henry. That's just wrong.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline HighWall

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 01:49:51 PM »
I want a henry rifle, but what I need to do is replace the $500 plus bifocals i accidentally destroyed at work.  I been wearing a pair with an old single script lens to get by, but really need the real deal.  Wish my prescription wasn't so expensive, but that's what it is.  From Walmart, no less

Have you tried Costco?  I accidentally dropped and then stepped on a pair of their progressive glasses.  Scratched them up pretty bad.  When I took them back for repair, I was informed their glasses have a one year no-fault guarantee and the replacement lenses would be free.  Not only that, they gave me preferential treatment and I got them in 5 days.  I've become a Costco optical customer for life...

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »

Not to pick nits but the stem wound pocket watch was invented in about 1851 and not in common use until maybe the early 1900s.  For a CW era watch, I would recommend you look for a key wound and key set watch.  Even so, they were neither cheap nor common prior to the 1870s.  By the 1870s, the prices had come down to where many town folk would be able to afford one.  Most folks relied on the ability to judge time by the sun.  Or the local clock tower and chimes.

A good KW/KS should be available for under $200 from a store.  From eBay, ???.  If you find you need a watch maker to effect repairs, I have a very good one.  PM me for more information.

Actually looking for a lever set. But as a Chaplain (and a pastor) the stem set would not be out of the question. A large number of pastor could afford and had the latest watches so they could time services and appointments. Yes, they did that back then, it is not a new fad to make timed appointments. How-some-ever. ah ain't gonna argue about the winding and setting method, just so it ain't no "quartz" watch with arabic numerals.   :(
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.