Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Difference between Pietta and Uberti 1862??  (Read 20437 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: Difference between Pietta and Uberti 1862??
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 03:55:17 AM »
The geometry on the cylinder is wrong for cartridge conversions using modern cartridges.  Too much liablity for manufacturers to accept.

I have wanted a conversion for any of my Pocket Police revolvers since I got my first one decades ago.

Hi StrawHat, doing a little research shows that one can install a Uberti 1849 .31 cylinder (also .32S&W conversion cylinder) and barrel on a Uberti 1862 Police. There's little value in doing so, but I'm going to test that out.

Regards,
Richard

Richard, if you start with an 1849, you save the cost of buying a new barrel.  Also, the conversion cylinder will look better on the 1849 frame.  The Pocket Police or Pocket Navy frames are cut for the rebated cylinder.

I wish there was an easy way to convert the Pocket Police, I really like mine.  Yes, it was done by the factory but they were skating on thin ice.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
Hi, my new Uberti 1862 is still stuck in a snow drift somewhere. I just opened my driveway of over 3 feet of snow. We have had 6-7 feet of lake effect snow over the last 3 days. My steel targets are under at least 7 feet of snow and it may be some time before I get to try the 1862 out. Next time I will wait until July before buying a new revolver.  *6' *6'

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 04:04:49 PM »
1862's are great little revolvers I had Goon rework my 1862[5] ASM Navy (1862 frame and cylinder with the "old style" loading lever and octogonal barrel. Colt started making these in 1865 because of the fire they could not keep up with the demand for the new model 1862 pocket (36 caliber) so they modified some 1849 pocket (31 caliber) tooling to make more hybred 1862 revolvers (really a 1849 in 1862 caliber with a rebated frame and the cylinder had the stagecoach scene). If I ever financially get over last seasons buying spree (bought 6 conversions, 2 L&R's, and a few assorted other guns) I am going to get someone to reline a 1862 new model barrel to 31 and mate it to a 1849 frame to make a new model 1849 (a gun that never existed) similar to what Colt did with the 1851/1861 Navy
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 03:53:03 AM »
...reline a 1862 new model barrel to 31 and mate it to a 1849 frame to make a new model 1849 ...

I like that idea!  I prefer the 36 BUT you can get a conversion cylinder for the 31.  Hmm, I have a spare Pocket Police barrel ...

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
Hi, well, an 1862 revolver arrived today. However while I ordered an 1862 5.5" barreled Police, I received an 1862 6.5" barreled Navy. What's strange is that Dixie Gun Works doesn't even list an 1862 6.5" barreled Navy on their website, only the 5.5" barreled Navy. The Police I ordered was on sale for $275 while the price for the Navy is listed at $340.

Frankly, I like the octagon barreled Navy better than the round Police. Now what to do? Can I just keep this revolver or does it need to go back? Am I responsible for Dixie's error?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
Hi, well, an 1862 revolver arrived today. However while I ordered an 1862 5.5" barreled Police, I received an 1862 6.5" barreled Navy. What's strange is that Dixie Gun Works doesn't even list an 1862 6.5" barreled Navy on their website, only the 5.5" barreled Navy. The Police I ordered was on sale for $275 while the price for the Navy is listed at $340.

Frankly, I like the octagon barreled Navy better than the round Police. Now what to do? Can I just keep this revolver or does it need to go back? Am I responsible for Dixie's error?

Regards,
Richard

Why am I not surprised?   :-*
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 05:20:58 PM »
Hi Fingers, why aren't you surprised? The box has the same number as what I thought I ordered, RH0422, as does the invoice. However, it's a different revolver than I ordered. See:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1032&osCsid=kio06spaa9o76pgc30tlspkdb5

Regards,
Richard

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 08:32:12 PM »
I've had similar results from Dixie in the past.  I don't do business with them any more.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 04:45:32 AM »
I quit doing business with them in the 70s.  Poor quality in merchandise, poor knowledge and crappy customer service.  Lot's of stores have the products, I prefer clerks that know the subject.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »
You can do with it what you want - I have two of the 6.5" barreled ones they are fine shooters but if you want a 5.5" send it back. The one I used to have and want again is a 4.5"
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 04:12:57 AM »
...reline a 1862 new model barrel to 31 and mate it to a 1849 frame to make a new model 1849 ...

I like that idea!  I prefer the 36 BUT you can get a conversion cylinder for the 31.  Hmm, I have a spare Pocket Police barrel ...

I just noticed, I do not have a Baby Model to mate to the barrel!

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »
I don't know, i've never had a problem with Dixie.  I have one of their .44 snubbies and it's awesome!  (even better thanks to Goons Gun Works!).  I have two of the Pietta "62 Polices", not real big on historical accuracy but they are nice guns.  I actually carry one from time to time.  I pondered the Uberti, but my quality experience with them has been hit and miss.  (percussion revolvers, crappiest i ever owned; cartridge Cattlemen, among the best.), so i opted for Piettas, as i have yet to get a bad one out of around 15 or 20 of em.  Either way, the navy .36's are some fine revolvers to shoot! (@+
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 07:12:53 AM »
Hi, the snow is flying so I thought I would spend a little time revisiting my Pietta 1862 revolver that has been relegated to looking pretty in my living room display case. While the Uberti 1862 is a safe queen because of being the queen of all cap sucking Colts, the Pietta 1862 is more accessible to handle. These are the two revolvers:

When I first got the Pietta 1862 I installed a reduced power spring and modified the hand to be able to use Howell Pietta 38 Colt/38 Special 1851 conversion cylinders. Today, I installed one of the conversion cylinders and noticed that there was zero cylinder/barrel gap with the wedge pushed in finger tight. Even with the C&B cylinder there is less than 0.0005" gap. Inspecting the arbor, I see that Pietta ground fitted the arbor to only allow the small gap. It's either remove ~0.001" from the cylinder faces or build up the end of the arbor. I choose to add some material on the arbor end. JB Weld has been mixed and after cleaning the arbor end with acetone a thin layer has been put on the arbor end. The epoxy is now in the process of curing. If the epoxy coating is too thick I will file it down tomorrow to produce a cylinder/barrel gap of ~0.002".

The more I handle the Pietta 5.5" barreled 1862, the more I like the feel of it. Since it is really a 6-shot short barreled 1861, all the Pietta 1851 parts fit on it. 

It's too bad I bought the Uberti 1862 since it is nothing more than a safe queen collectible. IMO a pair of the Pietta 1862s would have been a far better choice.

Regards,
Richard

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 07:34:22 AM »
A steel washer in the hole woulda been better. Not sure JB alone will last. As I've said before, finger pressure on the wedge will not pre-stress the assembly. After you  "fix" it, tap the wedge and see if it is still "fixed". 

The whole idea ultimately is to have the same revolver every time you assemble it.

Good luck.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 08:49:49 AM »
Hi Mike, I agree that using a steel washer would be best, but then I would have had to reduce the length of my arbor a good fraction of the washer thickness. JB Weld has a compression strength of 10,733psi. Thin sections in plane strain should have even a greater compression strength. If the JB Weld works, it works, if not I will do something different. I will know tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Regards,
Richard