Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: A pocket with some juice  (Read 20732 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
A pocket with some juice
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:28:22 AM »
Hi, I now own a pocket revolver with some juice. I have both the Uberti 1849 .31 Pocket and Wells Fargo, and have now added a Uberti 1862 .36 Pocket Navy to my collection. The 6.5" barrel of the .36 Pocket Navy should be able to push a ball close to 1000fps. Interesting on how Colt was able to get such improved performance from the .36 using the same frame as the .31 caliber guns. A photo:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
Re: A pocket with some juice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:07:36 AM »
Sure wish you hadn't done that. Now I may have to get one, too. Presently have a 49 and 2 48's and 2 51's but that is a neat little pistol.      ???      Also have a 58 remmy, but I won't admit to it.           L@J.          Mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 01:24:16 PM »

The 6.5" barrel of the .36 Pocket Navy should be able to push a ball close to 1000fps. Interesting on how Colt was able to get such improved performance from the .36 using the same frame as the .31 caliber guns... Regards,
Richard...

I have several 6 1/2" Pocket Police Models and with a maximum load of black powder, I do not approach 1000 fps.  but, I do not own nor would  I use, a chronograph. 

As for the improvement over the 31 with the same frame, consider the 1861 (or the 1851) and the 1860.  Rebateing the frame and making the front of the cylinder correspondingly larger does a lot for a revolver!

Nice little collection or rather a nice collection of little!
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 07:04:47 PM »
Richard, thinking maybe you have the makings of a new "mini-series".... *6'
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 07:40:01 PM »
Another nice revolver Richard.  You still need a '62 police though.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 04:31:32 AM »
Another nice revolver Richard.  You still need a '62 police though.

Hi Mike, my new Navy is going to have to serve as my Police. After ordering a Police and receiving a Navy, I'm not sure what I would get if I ordered another Police? Maybe a screwbarrel pistol?  *6' *6' *6'

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 08:21:23 AM »
Hi, I got to fully inspect my new Uberti 1862 Pocket Navy. Other than one area, the fit and finish are perfect. No steel particles or other debris inside the action. The only problem I see is that the arbor doesn't bottom in the barrel arbor hole. Tightening the barrel wedge can close up the barrel to cylinder gap such that the cylinder will bind. A couple of 0.025" thick brass washers (0.050" total) dropped in the barrel arbor hole seem to be just about right for a perfect fit. I am thinking of JB Welding those two washers on the end of the arbor and then doing some minor filing to produce the correct arbor length. The cylinder chambers measure 0.3725-0.3730". I hope the 0.375" balls I purchased will work, but I guess I should have purchased 0.380" balls.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 05:17:17 AM »
Hi, the cylinder to barrel gap of my new Uberti 1862 Pocket Navy is now properly set. I JB Welded 2 0.025" brass washers on to the end of the revolver arbor, see:

The barrel to cylinder gap is now ~0.005" and doesn't change no matter how deep the barrel wedge is hammered in. I could produce a tigher gap if ever desired by filing a few thousands off the end of the arbor brass washer.

If for some reason the JB Weld epoxy fails, I'll soft solder the washers on.

Regards,
Richard

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 06:13:47 AM »
A common problem with the Uberti Colts.  The wedge should NOT be used to set the gap.  Yours is a good solution.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 07:11:50 AM »
Hi, not being too happy with my stacked washer arbor length solution, I bought some brass rods to replace those stacked washers with a single button on my 1849 revolvers. The buttons were cut to a diameter of 0.303" and 0.060" long. A small hole was drilled into the center to allow removal from the barrel arbor hole with a paper clip when sizing. This is a photo with those buttons being JB Weld to the arbor end:

The button length is sized to allow a barrel/cylinder gap of ~0.006". The final arbor length will be filed on the arbor button for a 0.002" gap.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 07:41:42 AM »
Kinda hard to see what you did there, Richard. Any way you could get a close-up of the arbors?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 08:47:23 AM »
Hi Kirk, I'll post some close ups after the epoxy sets and the arbor buttons are filed to correct length. I like giving a full 24hrs for JB Weld to cure before doing any machining. Photos tomorrow.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 06:05:17 PM »
Hi Kirk, I'll post some close ups after the epoxy sets and the arbor buttons are filed to correct length. I like giving a full 24hrs for JB Weld to cure before doing any machining. Photos tomorrow.

Regards,
Richard
Roger that! L@.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 08:15:31 AM »
Hi, the barrel/cylinder gap has been set for both 1849s to 0.0025". I took photos, but PhotoBucket has been down for most of today so I can't upload them. My photos are a little over 500kB each so I can't easily attach them to this message that has a limit of 192 kB max. I would need to resize them so the jpegs would fit. That would lose detail so I will wait until PhotoBucket is back up.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 12:27:48 PM »
Hi, these are the two photos of the finished arbor length mod:

Notice in the second photo the difference in thickness of the brass buttons. Uberti arbors or barrels for a given model aren't created equal.

Regards,
Richard