Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 38 Colt conversion cylinder for 1851  (Read 35626 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: 38 Colt conversion cylinder for 1851
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 09:00:05 AM »
Hi Tom, I assume that the back end of the projectile is what you are showing? If so, the hollow base doesn't look too deep. The hollow base of the 0.358 bullets that I use (Speer and Magnus) go up to 1/2 the distance of the bullet length. If you get to shoot what you have, I would like to know on how well they work for you.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
No that's the front end, those are what Federal first loaded as a 38 special Hyrashok bullet, they shoot great out of my snub nose , I'd load the proper way. These expand to the size of a .50 cent piece when shot into duct seal with that little post intact, still have a box left.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 10:18:23 AM »
Are these "historically" correct?  Since we are being so adamant about the caliber and the bore size .  .  .  .  why not the bullet itself? If that's gonna be thrown out, I see no point in the whole thing. This is why I don't let "historically correct" drive me. You end up compromising at some point some stage anyway (usually).  Center fire, rim fire, powder, barrel twist.

Heck, I'm  happy with my non-correct, fast twist,  modern steel, .45C shooting,  gated conversion, extremely accurate, Uberti copy of Whitneyville and 1st Mod. Dragoons!! They deliver just as great a shooting experience today that the originals did for their owners that went down this "conversion" road.

Of course, I don't have the time or will or the first gen. arm (or the money for a first gen. Dragoon that I would do this to or one already converted!!).  That's just me though.

I'm reading though,  it's interesting enough .

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 06:05:25 AM »
Hey Richard, I want to see a few pics of your 1851 conversion with the Howell cilinders.

Mark my word, I am going to slap together an 1851 conversion from a percussion model using either a Kirst or Howell cylinder.

Hi Scooby, sorry, but I only noticed your request for photos yesterday. I got the Pietta 1851s together for a conversion cylinder family portrait, see:

The top two are 38 Colt/38 special conversion, the next two .45 Colt conversions, and the bottom brasser a .22 conversion. All the conversion cylinders other than the .22 are Howell, the .22 is a Kirst.

I have also used that Kirst .22 conversion cylinder in the 1851 Yank snub, see:

Later this week I expect to have the Howell 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder for my new engraved Uberti 1851 Navy. I'll post a photo of that conversion assuming that the Pietta's won't discriminate against the sole Uberti 1851.  )lI )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:08:22 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 07:53:28 AM »
I'll be dog!! It just dawned on me!! (Now I feel like a D.A.  (not the attorney one!)) This is about conversion "cylinders"!!
When I hear (or see) the word " conversion" in conection with Colt, I think "gated" or "ported" (like the factory did). In my mind thats what i see. The Remington is perfect for that (thats what they did, along with "gated" versions).

So, I reckon wadcutters would be just fine.

I'm gonna go give myself a whipping!!!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2016, 10:55:52 AM »
Hi Mike, Please don't give yourself a whipping. I just finished watch High Plains Drifter. Clint didn't like the whipping and you won't either.  )lI )lI )lI

I know you don't like inserting a wedge with only finger pressure, but these 1851 with conversion cylinder don't have any issues using finger pressure on the wedge. The 38 Special HBWC and .45 Colt loads are so light that only finger pressure is required to change cylinders. The wedges stay fixed and finger pressure is all that's required to change a cylinder. I can change out an 1851 faster than any 1858.

BTW, I use a number of conversion cylinders with my many 1858s.

While I really like my 1858s, there isn't a more satisfying shooting experience than when shooting Colts. The Colts are natural pointers where I often shoot my Colts @75yds. I limit distance with my 1858s to 50yds.

Regards,
Richard 

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
That was close !! Thanks Richard!

You are right though, I smack the wedge in so the setup will have the "tuned" clearances. Finger tight won't set the clearances properly.

I had the belt out and ready!!  Good thing I checked here one more time!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2016, 08:19:26 PM »

I had the belt out and ready!!  Good thing I checked here one more time!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Mike, if'n ya already went to that much trouble, go ahead... J*j
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 03:46:58 AM »
... I had the belt out and ready!!  ... Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Go ahead, like your Dad used to tell you, if not for this, than for something else you did I haven't found out about.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2016, 03:56:58 AM »
Boy! What a crowd I hang out with!!!

Buncha Freekin sadists!!!  (7+"

( ooouch, oouch, oooouch Ooouch !!!!!!!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 06:25:21 AM »
Hi Mike, these guys are a pretty good bunch. They could have suggested hanging?  (jh (jh (jh

Regards,
Richard

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2016, 06:34:06 PM »
Hi Mike, these guys are a pretty good bunch. They could have suggested hanging?  (jh (jh (jh

Regards,
Richard

I did request a hanging, for the Captain if I recall correctly.  Something about he owns a Remington or some such.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2016, 03:58:58 AM »
Hey Richard, I want to see a few pics of your 1851 conversion with the Howell cilinders.

Mark my word, I am going to slap together an 1851 conversion from a percussion model using either a Kirst or Howell cylinder.

Hi Scooby, sorry, but I only noticed your request for photos yesterday. I got the Pietta 1851s together for a conversion cylinder family portrait, see:

The top two are 38 Colt/38 special conversion, the next two .45 Colt conversions, and the bottom brasser a .22 conversion. All the conversion cylinders other than the .22 are Howell, the .22 is a Kirst.

I have also used that Kirst .22 conversion cylinder in the 1851 Yank snub, see:

Later this week I expect to have the Howell 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder for my new engraved Uberti 1851 Navy. I'll post a photo of that conversion assuming that the Pietta's won't discriminate against the sole Uberti 1851.  )lI )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard

Hi, the engraved Uberti 1851 with 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder can now be added to the converted 1851 family, see:

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2016, 10:13:27 AM »

Regards,
Richard

I did request a hanging, for the Captain if I recall correctly.  Something about he owns a Remington or some such.

Kevin

IIRC, my sentence was commuted due to owning 6 Remmies. I was deemed insane.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2016, 07:01:13 PM »

Regards,
Richard

Kevin

IIRC, my sentence was commuted due to owning 6 Remmies. I was deemed insane.

Your being insane has nothing to do with what you own.  And it is only a stay of execution, I am still looking for 5 more ropes!

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com