Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Nice 1862 Pocket Navy video  (Read 7588 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Nice 1862 Pocket Navy video
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »
Hi, if you have an 1862 Pocket Navy or are interested in getting one, this is a nice video of the 1862 Pocket Navy:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Nice 1862 Pocket Navy video
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 10:48:19 PM »
Of course I'm interested! It's just now my funds are all wrapped up in a..... (it's a secret...I can't tell you!)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 01:25:41 PM »
Richard:

I know I am late to the show, but that guy makes some very good vids. I have seen others by him before.

I'm pushing this to the top as I want to know what others think of this .36 cal Pocket as opposed to creating a new thread. I have P. L. Shumaker's book on Colt 1848/1849 Pockets and he actually goes into much detail about it. I am thinking this is my next (2016) project (Uberti).  Have never owned a Uberti and am hoping that others will chime in with their personal experiences. Surely can't afford an original Colt. I think firing a .36 Pocket would be somewhat of a handful. I might even think about swapping my 1848 Pocket squareback TG to it if all comes to fruition.

My problem is that I have too many pipe dreams in my head...

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 02:07:36 PM »
Hi sourdough, the only negative about the 1862 Uberti is that there are no conversion cylinders available for it. The Pietta 1862 is actually an 1861 colt, however, the 1851 conversion cylinders work with it.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »
Hi sourdough, the only negative about the 1862 Uberti is that there are no conversion cylinders available for it. The Pietta 1862 is actually an 1861 colt, however, the 1851 conversion cylinders work with it.

Regards, Richard

I'm not looking for conversion cylinders at this time, and I know that the Pietta is not correct.

I will work on this with help from all of you knowledgeable folks. Stay tuned.

I am currently working on my 1851 Navy project with variants and will try to stay tuned.

You folks are great. If I don't respond in a few days give me a kick in the butt.

I currently have several relatives residing here on "vacation" and am scrambling for bedrooms and food.

I moved to the boontoolies to get away from them and now they are all gravitating to me. Sign of the times? Sheesh...

Great forum!

Jim

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 04:33:28 AM »
I have a bunch of the Pocket Models, Navy and Police.  I describe them as the 36 caliber C&B revolvers that actually recoil!  Not a lot, but enough so you know you have pulled the trigger.

I believe all of mine are Uberti and span several decades of production.  The earliest ones, from 1973, have the stiffest mainsprings I have ever felt on a C&B revolver of any sort.  The newest, 2007, has a good trigger pull and is an accurate revolver.  I have 5 1/2" and 6 1/2" barrels.

I looked into having one converted to a centerfire cartridge and it is possible.  Damned expensive, but possible.  Lot's of work would need to be done and reloading would have been required, but when I hit the lottery, I will get it done.  For now, I really enjoy using the little revolvers as C&B.  When I need a carry piece, I grab something else.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 05:03:44 AM »
I have both the Navy and a Police .36 cal pocket revolvers.   Fun to shoot and it actually seems like you are firing a weapon.  I have to agree with Strawhat on the older Uberti model.   The spring on mine (police model) is very stiff but other than that it's one of the nicest C&B revolvers I have.
The Navy model I have was a piece of junk when I bought it but has been brought back to a respectable little shooter.   I'm still not sure of the maker since the only mark on it was Dixie Gun Works on the top of the barrel.  I used Uberti Parts for repairs but had to do a lot of fitting.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 01:11:27 PM »
Cap&Ball puts out some good videos.  His new vs old comparisons very interesting.

The .36 cal Pocket Models are fun to shoot.  I only have 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 inch models but they hold a good group.  One of these days I'll pick up a couple 6 1/2 inchers. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:12:58 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 02:40:33 PM »
Of course I'm interested! It's just now my funds are all wrapped up in a..... (it's a secret...I can't tell you!)

OK, Captain ... it has been 6 months. Did I miss it? I hope not, but my addled brain may have.

Pour forth, sir!

Jim

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »

OK, Captain ... it has been 6 months. Did I miss it? I hope not, but my addled brain may have.

Pour forth, sir!

Jim

Yes, it's safe to tell!
I purchased (but have yet to pick up due to a hectic schedule and long drive) a 1874 Sharps from Mazo Kid chambered in .45/70 Gov't.
Here's a link to the photos Mazo posted on the Remmy forum!!

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=9010.0

Beauty, ain't it?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Steamburn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 09:44:38 AM »
I got the Uberti Colt 1862 New PoliceModel in .36.
Nice little pistol.  My wife claimed it hers as soon as she handled it.
It shoots high, 8 inches at 25 yrds. but it is precise, with groups of about 3 inches.
It is a big cap sucker.  And for that I will be installing Slix nipples as soon as I get some time to reduce their middle part diameter (they don't fit this model unless the diameter of the middle part (the widest part) gets shaved a little).

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 10:28:40 AM »
It shoots high, 8 inches at 25 yrds. but it is precise, with groups of about 3 inches.
It is a big cap sucker.  And for that I will be installing Slix nipples as soon as I get some time to reduce their middle part diameter (they don't fit this model unless the diameter of the middle part (the widest part) gets shaved a little).

Hi Steamburn, I agree that the 1849 and 1862 are horrible cap suckers. I ordered the same nipples as you, but had to send them back when they didn't fit. I eliminated my cap sucking frustration by now only using the 1849s with 32 S&W conversion cylinders. There is no available conversion cylinder for the 1862. While cap suckers, these small handguns are still a joy to handle.

Let us know how the nipple modification works out for you.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Steamburn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 08:16:38 AM »

I installed the Slix nipples last week and this weekend went to the range.  Regreatably the cap sucking persists.  I found no difference.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 08:24:46 AM »
Hi Steamburn, thanks for your report. Yes indeed, these small 1849 framed Colts are terrible cap suckers. That's why I now exclusively use my 1849s with 32 S&W conversion cylinders. Otherwise they would just be safe queens.

Too bad there isn't a conversion cylinder for my Uberti 1862 .36 Navy. I enjoy handling the 1862, but shooting it is an exercise in frustration.

Maybe some day there will be a cap produced that doesn't break apart?

Regards,
Richard

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 04:03:59 PM »
Hi Steamburn, thanks for your report. Yes indeed, these small 1849 framed Colts are terrible cap suckers. That's why I now exclusively use my 1849s with 32 S&W conversion cylinders. Otherwise they would just be safe queens.

Too bad there isn't a conversion cylinder for my Uberti 1862 .36 Navy. I enjoy handling the 1862, but shooting it is an exercise in frustration.

Maybe some day there will be a cap produced that doesn't break apart?

Regards,
Richard

In regards to capsucking, might I suggest contacting Mike at Goons Gun Works http://www.goonsgunworks.com/services/  .

6.  Installation of a cap post - This keeps spent caps and/or fragments out of the action. It also restricts any blowback past the post, which allows for a much lighter "cartridge" type action (Colt and Colt type safety pins are not affected).

I know he does this service for 1851 Navy replicas and others; not sure about Pockets. I have heard nothing but positive comments about this modification.

Jim