Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cap Sucking Colts  (Read 93749 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Cap Sucking Colts
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 08:24:54 PM »
Which mod?

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

The cap rake, Mike.
You still want to have a crack at that '60 Army we spoke about?
PM me....
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 09:02:05 PM »
Gently smoothed the slots of the hammer faces.  No metal removed to speak of  …  but Pietta Colt hammer face slots can have tiny burrs on the edges of them which I smoothed a bit.  Just a little.  Spent caps nearly always stay on the cones till I flick them off with my fingernail or a little piece of wood stick.  I have always had good luck with caps staying  put. 

I’m no smith and my guns are way well short of being Goonerized but they work pretty well in their own little way. 

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:07:32 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 04:46:17 AM »
Gently smoothed the slots of the hammer faces.  No metal removed to speak of  …  but Pietta Colt hammer face slots can have tiny burrs on the edges of them which I smoothed a bit.  Just a little.  Spent caps nearly always stay on the cones till I flick them off with my fingernail or a little piece of wood stick.  I have always had good luck with caps staying  put. 

I’m no smith and my guns are way well short of being Goonerized but they work pretty well in their own little way.

Hi G Dog, I speculated on the rough edges of the hammer slot before, see:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=960.msg7396#msg7396

I own a very narrow stone that I wanted to try on my most cap sucking colts, the 1849s, but never did to date. Your result confirms my conjecture.  The next time I have an 1849 out I will first stone the hammer gap and see what happens. Thanks for your post.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 09:48:39 PM »
Well, can't say whether my '60 Army was a cap sucker or not, never having fired it. But it will be returning from the Goon with a cap rake, so we will definitely know if it is afterwards!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 05:03:06 PM »
Has anyone had any success with anything other than a cap rake for preventing cap sucking? I'm going to avoid the JB Weld hammer trick but wouldn't be opposed to trying brazing to fill in the groove.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »
Has anyone had any success with anything other than a cap rake for preventing cap sucking? I'm going to avoid the JB Weld hammer trick but wouldn't be opposed to trying brazing to fill in the groove.

I never had a problem with cap sucking. Yeah I get one now and then but it's not like there's a lot of them. It irks me more to have caps not split and practically weld themselves to the nipple.
'
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 05:28:32 PM »
They've only been mildly problematic for me as well. Others here seem to be plagued with it. I attirbute most of my good fortune to the Remington #10 caps.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 06:34:15 PM »
My pics are too big here but I have pics at gunslingers gulch.
 Go to forums, then down to builds and re- builds,  then the thread  Bolt Block Hammer stop etc.. First page shows an arbor set screw, action stop, bolt block and of course the cap post.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »
Very nice, Mike. If those pix are on a server they can be resized to show here. If you can't do that, with your permission of course, I can copy and resize and post one or all of them here.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 09:13:48 PM »
They've only been mildly problematic for me as well. Others here seem to be plagued with it. I attirbute most of my good fortune to the Remington #10 caps.

I mostly use CCI caps so there goes that theory.  *6' If I had a cap sucking problem I would just live with it. A cap post would bug me to no end and I would never use the gun because of it and I won't JB Weld one because I use the safety pins.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 09:53:09 PM »
Cap! That'd be great!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 04:50:37 AM »
Quote from: Hawg link=topic=960.msg14664#msg14664 date=1457673228 ...A cap post would bug me to no end...  [/quote

Hawg,

Why would the post bother you? 

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 07:22:37 AM »
Because it's something that shouldn't be there. I'm too much of a traditionalist. I can live with a few mods but nothing extreme like adding parts that shouldn't be there. The washers in a Uberti arbor hole I can live with but that's about it.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 08:00:34 AM »
Because it's something that shouldn't be there. I'm too much of a traditionalist. I can live with a few mods but nothing extreme like adding parts that shouldn't be there. The washers in a Uberti arbor hole I can live with but that's about it.

Hi Hawg, that's where I am. I like firearms as close to stock as possible. I went through years of wasting money and time adding performance parts to my 1911s, but returned them to stock. Seems that the stock handguns always shoot better than me and the performance parts added unreliability. I even put faux ivory grips on my Colt 1873, but returned to the original grips. I like seeing that pony. If I want to return the Uberti Colt revolvers to "as built" I can even knock off the brass washer off the end of the revolver. If I ever offer for sale any of my arbor length mods for sale, I will offer the buyer that I will  remove the arbor extension if they choose.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline old fogey

• Ass-hat Extrodinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 03:16:54 PM »
Seem to recall a post over at The Open Range forum about "Making A Colt Cap And Ball Revolver Work" where a feller spelled out how exactly to do the mod if yer still wanting that info (just click on the link)!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 03:19:06 PM by old fogey »