Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cap Sucking Colts  (Read 94328 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Cap Sucking Colts
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2018, 07:29:35 PM »
The dance doesn't work unless you sprinkle chicken blood around your shooting bench.

Say...you don't suppose the Dance Brothers...ahh, nevermind.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2018, 08:41:33 PM »
Lol!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2018, 09:05:11 PM »
I've done some pretty good dances and chants when I got a hot spent cap down my shirt sleeve.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2018, 10:00:15 PM »
I've done some pretty good dances and chants when I got a hot spent cap down my shirt sleeve.

(7+"
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2018, 06:58:37 AM »
Hi, a new cap sucking video:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2018, 12:48:26 PM »
“Pietta’s are ugly”.  Well, Mr. Frazer, I’ll contest that.  Motion to dismiss without leave to amend or refile.  Another point of critique is that employing knives or screwdrivers to remove caps is much less safe than using a nonferrous tool like a little edged piece of wood.  Ol’ Duke tends to miss more than he hits and then blames the gun.  His vids are still fun though and he seems like a good guy.  He got his hat cleaned too - bout time.      ::)

Good post, Richard.  Thanks.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2018, 06:20:25 PM »
Hi G Dog, I always get a kick on how he manages from a rest to get 3" groups at 7yds, but the group at 15yds is 15".  (jh

Bottom line is he can't shoot worth a s**t. He still hasn't learned that most BP revolvers shoot high.

Even still, he has the balls to do videos to share with others that are mostly interesting, and I have to give him a lot of respect for doing so.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2018, 07:51:48 PM »
Thanks for posting that  video Richard,

That is exactly what the Action Shield prevents!!  I had a customer call me yesterday  (he was the recipient of the first competition revolvers to have the A.S. installed )  and he said after about 90 rounds through them he had a cap frag get past the cap post on one of them and the Shield kept it from entering the action !! He wanted to let me know it worked perfectly  "as advertised" lol!! Happy shooter!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Oh, he's sending 3 more this week!!  GOOD CUSTOMER!! Lol !!

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 25, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »
This is not a reply, it's a question.
When did the Colt became really popular? Was it during the cap days, or was it after the conversions appeared?
It seems to me, that all the Wild West notorious guys (and the Hollyweirds) were into conversions and that they never experienced a cap suck when in a tight situation.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 25, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »
I think Colt's have always been more popular but the 1849 was definitely the apex.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2018, 03:07:41 PM »
Len,

Colt revolvers or "Colt's" as they called them back then first became really popular in the 1850s. There are many references to Colt's revolvers from the late 1860s and early 1870s, heyday of the "gunmen."  Outlaw John Wesley Hardin used many Colt cap and ball revolvers in his career and was found carrying one when he was arrested in 1877. Of course Wild Bill Hickok was well known for his 1851 Colt's Navy's. I think conversion Colt's are more popular in movies because of their ease of loading for films than they were back in the day among gunfighters, although some historians believe Doc Holiday was carrying a Colt Navy conversion at the OK Corral gunfight in 1881.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:09:52 PM by Bishop Creek »
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 26, 2018, 08:02:14 AM »
Hi, one of the first Colts was the Colt Paterson introduced in 1836.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 26, 2018, 09:35:06 PM »
Another thing caps were thicker back then and made from copper. I doubt they had as many cap jams.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »
Nice snow fall, 30*F, no wind. Shot my original Colt Navy. After a couple of rounds I realized that the hand wasn't stopping the cylinder from going CCW. Thought the hand spring had sprung (i.e. become a former spring, an ex-spring, a no-more-spring). Had one unfired chamber and unscrewed that nipple and pushed the ball out.
So, time for the annual strip and clean. And there, behold, was an obviously rather old fragment of cap deep down in the innards. It had probably been around for some time, doing the tourist tours of the interior.
Hand spring was OK, but had somehow been obstructed by that fragment.
When all was cleaned and greased, the gun was good to go again.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »
Caps back in the day were thicker and made of copper. Cap jams did happen but not nearly as much as with the thin brass ones of today. Even so I can't remember ever having a cap get inside of a Colt to the point of locking it up.