Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: backwards?  (Read 9444 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
backwards?
« on: January 31, 2015, 07:24:54 PM »
i got these today and was looking them over and realized the 60 has the naval scene on it and the 51 does not...

i'm no colt guy other than the walker, so from what i have always thought wasnt the 51 the one with the naval scene and the 60 had the plain cylinder or did it not matter? did the previous owner swap the cylinders?

l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: backwards?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:05:42 PM »
Bruce, I believe all the Armies had the naval scene. Both mine do. I think the unmarked cylinders is a Pietta thing
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 08:10:07 PM »
Hi Bruce, both my Pietta 1851s and 1860s have the naval scene on their cylinders. Cabelas recently had 1860 cylinders on sale. The two I purchased were plain, no naval scene. Extra 1860 cylinders purchased in the past had the naval scene.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:23:46 PM »
I've seen them both ways on either revolver.  I have one '51 with and one without.  My 1860 came with a naval scene and I have a spare cylinder for it without the naval scene.   Don't know why they are made both ways but they are.

Offline caferacer

• Ornary cus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »
the naval scene had nothing to do with the navy, it was an early attempt to prevent counterfeiting,
colt figured people may copy his revolvers, but they would not bother to copy the engraving,
it was an easy way to tell a fake from the real thing,
a dirty gun
is a happy gun

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 08:20:01 PM »
the naval scene had nothing to do with the navy, it was an early attempt to prevent counterfeiting,
colt figured people may copy his revolvers, but they would not bother to copy the engraving,
it was an easy way to tell a fake from the real thing,

so my brass frame .44 pietta '51 is not a replica of a real 1851 colt but a replica of a fake 1851 colt...lol...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 06:37:49 AM »
It's a replica of a fake Colt, anyway. It's a brass frame.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 12:38:45 PM »
The only Army/Navy replacement cylinders I’ve seen from Pietta via Cabelas have been plain.  Buy the whole gun and both models come with the standard naval scene.

The Remington replacement cylinders come unmarked too.  On one .36 Remington (Pietta/Cabelas) the cylinder was plain.  Contra wise on two .44's which had some proof stamps.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 09:45:52 PM »
The Naval Battle Scene on the cylinders of Colt Navy and Army revolvers was a personal tribute from Sam Colt to his friend Commodore Edward Ward Moore, the commander of the Texas Navy during the Battle of Campeche fought on 18 May 1843. The battle was fought off the coast of Yucatan, Mexico between the Texas Navy and the Mexican Navy. In actual fact, the Texas Navy had been "rented" by Yucatan rebels that were in rebellion against the dictatorship of General Santa Ana.

To confuse matters further, several of the "Mexican" ships were were commanded by British naval officers and the crews a mixture of British and Mexican sailors!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Battle_of_Campeche

Long before the battle, Commodore Moore had traveled to the United States to recruit American sailors for the Texas Navy. By pure luck, he stopped by a sporting goods story in the North East that had a display of Paterson Colt revolvers and Paterson Colt long arms.

Intrigued by the concept of repeating pistols and long arms, Commodore Ward placed a sizable order for Colt firearms directly from Sam Colt for the Texas Navy. So, Colt arms were aboard the Texas ships in the Battle of Campeche. After the battle, as the Texas Navy was sailing North to Galveston, President Sam Colt of the Republic of Texas declared Commodore Moore a "Pirate" and when the ships docked in Galveston, Houston had Moore arrested, to be tried for a long list of charges Houston had placed against the Commodore.

Commodore Moore was cleared in his Court Martial, but Houston ordered the ships of the Texas Navy sold. The Colt arms aboard the ships were boxed up and shipped to a government warehouse at Washington on the Brazos.The Paterson pistols remained in storage until they were found by Captain Hays of the Texas Rangers who was recruiting and commanding a new company of Texas Rangers.

Hays ordered the Paterson Colts issued to his Rangers, figuring that their firepower would come in handy in any battles with the Comanche Indians. Well, to make a long story short, the new revolvers played a major role in the hands of Hay's Rangers in defeating a superior force of Comanche Indians:

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/btw02

One of the Rangers involved in the Battle of Walker's Creek was Samuel Walker.

A few years later, Texas had joined the Union and the Mexican War was starting.Samuel Walker was organizing a force of Mounted Rifles for the Mexican War. He talked General Zachary Taylor to allow him to return to the Eastern United States to not only recruit
additional troopers for his unit, but to secure a supply of Colt revolvers for his soldiers.

In the meantime, the Colt Paterson company had failed and Sam Colt was living in poverty in New York. Walker actually tracked Sam Colt and together they designed a "new and Improved" revolver: the Walker Colt.

Sam then handed Colt an Ordnance Department contract for a large number of those new pistols. Colt got the Whitney Company to produce the revolvers and Sam Colt was back in the gun business!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Walker

Oh yes....GUESS which Texas battle (between Indians and soldiers) is depicted on the cylinder scene of Colt's Dragoon Revolvers!

That was Sam Colts tribute to Sam Walker!

So, now you know about the battle scenes on several models of Colt revolver cylinders and about both Commodore Moore and Sam Walker!!!!

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 07:06:52 AM »
thank you for the history lesson, what does the battle scene on the walker depict?
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »
Hi Bruce, IMO the battle scene on the Walker depicts the heated discussion with my wife on whether I can buy a new Walker.

)lI )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 02:07:45 PM »

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 06:03:55 AM »
Hi Bruce, IMO the battle scene on the Walker depicts the heated discussion with my wife on whether I can buy a new Walker.

)lI )lI )lI

Regards,
Richard
*6'

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 07:39:59 PM »
sam, you getting that walker yet?
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »
Hi Bruce, I'm working on it Bud!  ;)
I made my Dad mad at me. ::)
So, I don't think my Dad is going to buy me anything...Oh, Well......
Anyway, I'm 50/50% chance that I will buy the 1847 Colt Walker on Cabela for $399.99
Just trying to get some bills paid here and then Kimmy will SEE how much money is left over.  ;)
So, I'm being real nice to Kimmy here!  L@.