Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: A very nice day  (Read 5726 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
A very nice day
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »
Went shooting at my son's place yesterday.
 I had several guns that I had never had a chance to fire before yesterday.   As it stands today I don't have any firearms that I have not shot at least once.    Spent about 4 hours on the range at the ranch.   It is a private range and there is never anyone else around.   Very peaceful in the middle of 22,000 acres of cattle range.  There is also a separate 1000yd rifle range with steel targets at various range increments.   We did not utilize the rifle range yesterday since we figured 75 yards on the pistol range was adequate with the rifles for now.
I get bored quick shooting paper so we shot the steel gong target mostly but I brought along a new synthetic "self healing" orange gong target to see if they were any good,  so no paper target photos. 

I didn't take any photos while we were shooting but took a pic of all the guns I fired yesterday and a shot of the new orange gong. 

Here a pic of the guns fired yesterday.  Except for a wipe down after shooting they are all still dirty.  Took a while to clean them all.

Here's the revolvers, (clockwise from top left)  Uberti Patterson,  Pietta 1860 Army,  Uberti 1873 SAA Bisley BP, and a Heritage Rough Rider 22/22mag revolver.

The rifles (from the top) Marlin 1895 in 45-70,  1892 Winchester in 44-40,  and a Henry 22.

The Patterson and 1860 were both loaded with Goex 3F.  The Marlin with a full case of Goex and the 44-40 was fired with both Goex 3F rounds and cartridges loaded with 7.5 grains Trail Boss.   Although it is harder to clean up I like the BP loads better than any BP subs or smokeless such as Trail Boss.  There was no discernable difference in the Trail Boss loads and the BP loads in the 44-40 cases.  I just like the sound and smell of the BP.  Next I'll have try some Swiss.

The orange gong.   I kinda liked shooting at this target.  It's easy to see at 75 yards and flips around about 10 times when hit with the 45-70 rounds.   It looks like it might last awhile too.   I always take my 1911 along too no matter what, just to shoot it more and try to get used to it.

As much as I enjoy the guns I also got to visit with my 7 week old grandson for a couple hours.   That is better than a shooting a truck full of guns.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:28:29 PM by mike116 »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: A very nice day
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:26:44 PM »
I am in LOVE with that straight-stock Marlin! (jh
And you're right...nothing better than grandkid time! (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »
Don't let the looks fool you she kicks like a mule.  I'm a glutton for punishment though.  I put 30 rounds through it myself yesterday.  All BP loads. 

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 06:34:57 AM »
...I always take my 1911 along too no matter what, just to shoot it more and try to get used to it...

Good luck with that!  I am convinced the only way to accomplish that feat is to sell everything that isn't 1911 and start from scratch!

...As much as I enjoy the guns I also got to visit with my 7 week old grandson for a couple hours.   That is better than a shooting a truck full of guns...

I do not have grandkids, I am envious.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 07:46:24 AM »
I take the 1911 and shoot it because it irritates me to have to work so hard with it.  It functions well,  others can shoot it well but I am just so-so with it so I know it is me and not the firearm.   I am getting better.

I have five grandkids.  They are the delight of my life.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 06:00:20 AM »
Hi Mike, how do you like your HRR pistol(the one with the white bird head grips)?
Did you shoot the .22mag or the .22lr cylinder?
I have not shot in .22mags in mine, yet.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »
I really like the Heritage .22s  I have had a couple different ones.   I saw this one for sale the other day and liked how it looks.   They are good guns for carrying around in the truck and such.  They don't cost much,  you can beat them up and they still work, and since they don't cost an arm and a leg if they get scratched or beat up a little it's not a big deal.

I shot both the 22LR and 22mag on Friday.  Both cylinders work really well.  They 22mag shoots a little higher than the 22LR.   

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 11:24:59 AM »
Yep, I can just imagine how a 45-70 round in that light Marlin would recoil! What make is the '92 Winchester? I have Rossis in 45 Colt and 44-40.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 02:03:15 PM »
Hi Mazo,   The'92 is a Puma by Chiappa.  First gun I've owned or shot made by them.   I am impressed with it.  It's nicely finished and shoots very well.  Dead on at 50 yards right out of the box.   Next time I'll try out the flip up ladder sight on the longer rifle range.  I'm curious to see how far I can hit some thing with it. 

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 05:38:31 AM »
...Yep, I can just imagine how a 45-70 round in that light Marlin would recoil!...

The Marlin 1895 weighs just what the Winchester 1886 Lightweight weighed when they made those.  Not for benchrest, for hunting.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com