Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: How do you earn a living?  (Read 65895 times)

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
Re: How do you earn a living?
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2021, 07:34:49 PM »
I can wire your house get your plant up and running or whatever you need but in southern Idaho it's mostly irrigation. Got to grow them crops.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2021, 07:48:34 PM »
Jolting.

When I have an electrical issue I contact a pro.  No do-it-yourself stuff when it comes to that.  Amateur wire-job homeowner guys have about burned down my whole county, twice.  Hot tubs, both times.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2021, 04:47:41 AM »
so in the "what did you do today" thread, I posted up the Christmas cheer I spread to the boss.

He wasn't the only one who got a truck for Christmas... only mine is a 1:1 scale, not a 1:25 scale.
Sure, it's just another "company truck"; but my name is listed as "partner" on the companies filings.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2021, 01:41:37 PM »
Can't beat the full size version! Great lookin' truck....
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2022, 05:26:25 AM »
I Fix/Install Wood and Pellet stoves in people's homes. Big ones, small ones, old ones and new ones. Been at it for 9 months now. It's good honest work. Though I gotta admit, I  never gave it much thought till I started doing it.  I always figured if you bought a stove, you just installed it in your home yourself.
"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" - Fletcher

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2022, 06:08:52 AM »
I Fix/Install Wood and Pellet stoves in people's homes. Big ones, small ones, old ones and new ones. Been at it for 9 months now. It's good honest work. Though I gotta admit, I  never gave it much thought till I started doing it.  I always figured if you bought a stove, you just installed it in your home yourself.

Woodsrunner79, IIRC you are up in Vermont somewhere. I imagine your line of work is in very high demand up there!! I'm sure that keeps you pretty busy? Just curious, I remember being up there in mid October back in 1985 and a place my wife and I were staying at had radiated heat. Do you see uch of that in your neck of the woods? A lot of folks down here in the south will also close up fireplaces and install natural gas log setups.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2022, 07:13:17 AM »
Good on'ya! Wife and I run all heating by fire wood (since 40 yrs). Stove in the work shop across the yard and a culvert to the house. Also have an old Husqvarna wood stove in the kitchen, for emergencies. Then there is this extra benefit, i.e. tha free gym of handling the logs, cut, split and stack.

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2022, 07:29:51 AM »
Zulch  - It's actually funny you mentioned Radiant heat. Before the Pandemic shut the state down in 2020 I was building Radiant Floor heating systems. Got laid off for a bit, then let go all together cause they're just wasn't enough work for 4 of us. Kicked around doing odd jobs till I hit upon the stove thing and haven't looked back.

Len - Thanks! It's very satisfying work. I was even able to rescue a circa 1912 Glenwood Oak parlor stove that was destined for the metal dumpster. It's in my shed, as I'm gathering part to restore it to It's former glory. Thing's MASSIVE too. Stands about 5'5" and takes a 26" log.

We still cut, split and stack for my parents, my wife's grandparents and lug pellets for various family members. My grandfather used to say that firewood warms you 3 times. Once when you split it, twice when you stack it and thrice when you burn it.
"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" - Fletcher

Offline Baron Von Kesselwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2022, 05:26:27 PM »
my income stream comes from past years as rocket engine pump/valve assembler and then some years as aircraft stuff , drilling holes in perfectly good airplanes 747-8 and other classified projects, a good time and still have all my digits -  :usa-flag-89:

now the bad news is the out going stream of income gets divvyed up between all sorts of things
65  ford mustang FB  289 4 spd
1982 Honda ATC 250R  death machine
17 ft bass boat
honey do s
an Black powder shooting supplies
an 7  grankids

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2022, 05:23:20 AM »
Baron, they gitcha comin in and they gitcha goin out. The taxman, I mean. Careful now , no sharing classified information now😬 I’m sure you remember the briefings? Even non classified can be aggregated. Just sayin’

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2022, 09:47:56 AM »
Baron, they gitcha comin in and they gitcha goin out. The taxman, I mean. Careful now , no sharing classified information now😬 I’m sure you remember the briefings? Even non classified can be aggregated. Just sayin’

I still have a clearance (contractor with AFIT).  I magically forgot everything I was read out of.   :-X
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2022, 02:02:44 PM »
For Daily Bread I pound a keyboard and talk.  The advantage is that I'm always just a couple of clicks from Colt Country which gets visited several times a day, weekends too.  I'm in for the duration, boys.  You'll just have to put up with me.  Please.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2022, 08:33:18 AM »
For Daily Bread I pound a keyboard and talk.  The advantage is that I'm always just a couple of clicks from Colt Country which gets visited several times a day, weekends too.  I'm in for the duration, boys.  You'll just have to put up with me.  Please.

It's comforting to know you ain't going anywhere G.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2022, 08:38:53 AM »
  I'm in for the duration, boys.  You'll just have to put up with me.  Please.

No please to it. If you try to leave we'll hunt you down and drag you back :-*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2022, 08:52:15 AM »
  I'm in for the duration, boys.  You'll just have to put up with me.  Please.

No please to it. If you try to leave we'll hunt you down and drag you back :-*

Maybe we shoulda explained to him, that this is the Black Powder Mafia. Once you're in, you're in. There ain't no leaving. At least not on this side of the dirt.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln