Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: After Market Grips  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
After Market Grips
« on: July 12, 2015, 06:00:02 AM »
  Who makes grips for a Euroarms steel framed 1851 Navy Colt made in 1973? I just want to jazz her up some. I am thinking about doing the same for a 1860 Army Colt Pieatta.   Thanks!!
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: After Market Grips
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:59:03 AM »
You'll have to buy unfinished blanks and fit them to your revolvers.   Even the best ones need to be fitted.   Dixie and Track of the Wolf should have blank ones.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:19:56 AM by mike116 »

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 09:32:23 AM »
Larry Little of Gripmaker.com ( www.gripmaker.com ) makes a variety of grips. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 10:08:24 AM »
Hi Fingers, Thanks for that link.  ;)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »
Gripmaker.com has some very nice grips made from polyurethane.   They are all made oversize and must be fitted to each individual gun.   I always assume when talking about grips that wood or other natural materials are being used.   I always forget about the synthetic ones. 

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »
  Hey Fingers,thanks,that is what I was looking for. I like the Crossed Sabers for the 1860 Army. And you know which one for the Navy.  How does one go about fitting them?  My guess is using a Drumel to match the couture of the grip frame.
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »
"PUT THE DREMEL DOWN AND STEP BACK FROM THE BENCH"

A Dremel tool takes off material to fast for fitting grips.  A couple files and sandpaper is usually all that is required.  Larry includes instructions for fitting and finishing his grips.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 03:26:48 PM »
Ok,thanks.