Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: I finally came over to the Dark Side  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Prospector

• View Profile
I finally came over to the Dark Side
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:53:09 PM »
Well, I finally did it.  After lurking around here on the Colt forum for a couple or three years, I was finally won over to the dark side by all you Colt lovers.  No, I have not sold my Remmys.   But you all did finally break down my resistance, and I finally got a Pietta Colt replica.  I am not yet ready to admit that the Colt is superior in every way, but CaptainKirk finally won me over with his posts about the pointability of the Colt vs the Remington.  So I had to get a Colt and try his challenge.  Sure enough, it seems as if he is right (but don't tell him I said that, i don't want him to get a big head about it).  When I took up his challenge of looking at an object, then closing my eyes and drawing the revolver and pointing it toward the target, then opening my eyes, it seemed that it was pointing closer to the target with the Colt than with the Remmy many times.  I still have not determined if I can shoot the Colt more accurately or not.  I will have to shoot it more to determine that. 

At any rate, most of you know me already from the 1858Remington forum, so what can I tell you that you do not already know?   I like my Remmy, but I think I am going to like my Colt replica also.   Which one do I like the most now?  Whichever one I happen to be holding at the time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:28:01 AM by Prospector »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: I finally came over to the Dark Side
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 10:05:25 PM »
Know what? Close your eyes and repeat after me; "It's OK to like more than Remmies....It's OK to like more than Remmies...It's OK to like more than Remmies...It's OK to like more than Remmies..."
There. You've said it.
Don't you feel....uplifted?
Welcome aboard, and thanks for confirming what most of us already know; the 1851 Navy is the pointin'est revolver on the planet!
You didn't say so, but I'm assuming yours is a Navy model?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:08:21 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Prospector

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:21:59 PM »
Well, yes and no, Cap'n.  It is the Pietta "Fantasy"  1851 Colt in 44 Caliber.  I know that Colt never made any of these, I got it for such a good price that I could not pass up, and I  figured that since I already had 44 caliber Remmies, it would simplify things if I did not have to go out and buy 36 caliber molds or ready cast balls/bullets.   As far as pointability goes, do these point as good as the 36 caliber ones?  I would think that there would not be much difference in pointability or shootability.  was I wrong?  I know all the purists out there are just cringing when someone talks about these.  However, I know that none of the replicas are EXACTLY like the originals (hopefully the metallurgy is better in the new ones), but have I stepped over the line here?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:26:00 PM by Prospector »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 10:29:40 PM »
My son has one of those I sold him....a brasser, no less. It points (and shoots) as well as my .36 cal Navy although I'm really not a fan of what Pietta does with the 'bell-bottom' grip. Mike Beliveau did a video on how to make the Pietta grip more realistic:

Offline Prospector

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:26:19 PM »
Thanks for that Link.  I found that video a while back, and I have even purchased a used grip frame and wooden grip.  I have not seen if the used grip will fit it, but if I can make it fit, I will do any modifications to the old used grip frame and grip, and save the new one for returning it back to the original Pietta configuration if I ever would want to, or decide to sell it, or in case I really mess up the grip modification.  Besides, my revolver has the chrome plated grip frame, and any filing or cutting on it would really look ugly.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 11:28:22 PM »
Besides, my revolver has the chrome plated grip frame, and any filing or cutting on it would really look ugly.

I've never seen chrome. Nickel and silver, yes. Chrome, no
Can you post a few pix of it?

Offline Prospector

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 11:51:05 PM »
I may be wrong about it being chrome.  It may be nickel plated, I cannot remember.  I do not think it is silver.  I got it from Cabelas, but they no longer carry it.   They called it the "PIETTA 1851 NAVY CIVILIAN .44 CAL. REVOLVER,  Item : IK - 214504" .  I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 04:11:27 AM »
...(but don't tell him I said that, i don't want him to get a big head about it)...

Too late!

...At any rate, most of you know me already from the 1858Remington forum...

Never heard of it, but, welcome to the forum. 

Grab a chair and get your own coffee, the stuff here is a bit, let's say - old.  Join the conversation when you are comfortable and post pictures.  SOme of the members have a hard time with letters.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 05:11:36 AM »
Welcome to the Colt world Prospector.   Lots of familiar names here and plenty you haven't met yet too.   We need to see photos of that '51 you have.  Just to prove you've actually broadened your scope a little.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 06:02:45 AM »
Well, Welcome Prospector! Great to see ya on here!  :-*

Offline Prospector

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 09:56:19 AM »
I looked up the description of this revolver and it did say that the backstrap and trigger guard are silver plated.  Now, how do you keep silver plating looking like new and not tarnishing or flaking off?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 10:55:57 AM »
Hi Prospector, IMO you have left the dark side and have now arrived on the bright side.  )lI )lI )lI

Welcome to the group. Here you won't have to tread through posts one mile long telling you how the best revolver ever made was the Pietta 5.5" 1858 that uses Pryodex pellets.  I also have an 1851 .44 that I enjoy very much. If you watch on eBay, there is always a short barrel available for that revolver. Then you can on one frame use both the long and short barrels. You can use extra 1860 cylinders and also buy a .45 Colt conversion cylinder for your revolver. Here is my Pietta .44 with a conversion cylinder and short barrel:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »
Welcome Prospector, glad to see you here!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »
I looked up the description of this revolver and it did say that the backstrap and trigger guard are silver plated.  Now, how do you keep silver plating looking like new and not tarnishing or flaking off?

I have found Flitz to work well on all types of metals, and it adds a protective coating the prevents oxidation for up to six months (or so they claim) My own experience with brass is more like two months, but your mileage may vary. Beats a sharp stick in the eye, anyway...

Offline Prospector

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 08:16:32 PM »
Thank you everyone.  Thanks Staraw Hat, Mike, MD, and Mazo.  I never felt so at home so quickly on a new (to me) forum before. 

Richard, I am glad you mentioned about getting a short barrel for your 1851, and the barrel to show what it looks like. 

Thanks Captain for the tip on using Flitz.  I just now looked up Flitz on WalMart.com, and although it says it can be used on silverplate as well as other metals, at the bottom the description says,

not for: electroplated finishes.

It apparently contains an abrasive which can remove the plating along with the tarnish. 

I then found something called "FLITZ PREMIUM POLISHING PRODUCTS BU 03515 Multi Purpose Cream"  the description says that it is a non abrasive formula, and this product does not have any warning about using it on electroplated finishes.  However, the description on WalMart.com does not describe what it does to or for the metal finish, or how it does it, either.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=Flitz

So which Flitz product do you use?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:21:12 PM by Prospector »