Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Poll

Which brand of BP gun does your LGS favor?

Remington replicas
1 (12.5%)
Colt replicas
2 (25%)
No cap & ball revolvers
4 (50%)
Other
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: What brand of gun does your LGS 'favor'?  (Read 12046 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
What brand of gun does your LGS 'favor'?
« on: July 30, 2015, 01:52:09 PM »
I was wondering why most new BP revolver shooters tend to gravitate towards buying Remington replicas over Colts (at least it appears that way to me) and wondered if it had to do with favoritism of one brand or the other at local gun stores (not Cabela's or other internet stores; they seem to be pretty evenly matched)
For example; I chose Remington, because the two LGS's I frequent always have a Remmy on the shelf (usually a brasser in a blister-pak) but seldom a Colt repro.
Your views on this?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: What brand of gun does your LGS 'favor'?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »
There is only one gun store in Denver that carries any BP supplies or firearms at all (aside from Cabelas, Gander Mountain and other big box stores).   Jim does not stock any new handguns at all.   Only used revolvers and pistols are in the gun case at his store.   He will happily order any new BP revolver you desire but you have to know what you want.   He does stock a few new long guns.   So in answer to your question,   I have no idea what my LGS store favors.   All the normal neighborhood gun stores just laugh when you mention anything besides Glock, Kimber, or some other autoloading pistol or rifle.   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »
Well, if you walked into the local Bass Pro to buy a C&B revolver right now, you'd walk out with a Remmy. I wonder if that's somewhat behind the popularity?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
If you walked into the Bass Pro in Denver to buy a BP revolver you'd walk out empty handed.   They only carry in-line rifles and accessories for BP.   No revolvers or traditional muzzleloaders at all.    Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse have BP revolvers but none at Bass Pro or Gander Mountain.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:05:59 PM »
Now that just sucks.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 05:09:37 AM »
I hope you are wrong Scooby but it sounds like Idaho is in the same situation as Colorado when it comes to black powder shooting.  Hard to find anyone who is even familiar with the subject around here.   The gun shops here don't even want to handle modern revolvers,  only a few on the shelf.   The rest of the store is full of black rifles and Glock handguns.   If you are looking for a used gun pawn shops are a better bet than gun dealers.   They just don't have many anymore.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 05:42:01 AM »
The Log Cabin usually has a good supply of both the Colt styled revolves and the other ones.  I have been there in a while but the last inline thing they had was a few years back.  If you want a fine custom built rifle, they often have a dozen or more on the wall.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 09:27:51 AM »
I feel sorry for it setting there like a bastard calf.

LMAO! *6'

Fellers, as a whole, we are a dying breed overall with our particular interests.

If the Johnnie-come-lately's jump off'n the bandwagon, all the better. That will leave the sport to the few of us who actually 'care'. So many have gotten into it for the sole reasons of:

1) Being a convicted felon and still owning a gun, and;

2) Having an un-registered, off-the-radar firearm, and;

3) buying it only to convert it to cartridge per #2 above.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
All the normal neighborhood gun stores just laugh when you mention anything besides Glock, Kimber, or some other autoloading pistol or rifle.

Same sort of deal here.  I have even been asked once, upon inquiring about black, why I didn't get a real gun (and no, I did not slam his face into the counter, I didn't do it).  Gun shops and their staff are definitely not what they used to be.  Lots of turn over too.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:47:45 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 07:03:28 PM »
I get the same attitude when I inquire about 'traditional' archery supplies. Instead of polite service or re-direction, you get smug mockery...which is the same attitude many of the modern gun shops are sporting these days.
I'll be honest; I'd rather shoot a BP firearm any old day of the week these days. Never been "automatic Al" or "rapidfire Ron" anyway, and frankly, if the young kids don't get it, fine by me. They could be a bit nicer, though.
It's always nice to have young kids interested in it because you can also give them the "Cliff's Notes" version of where it fits in historically....which most of them have never heard with today's retarded, paranoid common-core educational system in which most educators are 'afraid of guns' (candy-asses).
Boys like guns. Boys who get introduced to guns and history and their role in it grow up with a healthy respect of what they've done in history, and what they can do if misused, unlike the homey in baggy pants down to his knees and checkered boxers floppin' out on top, with his ass-crack smiling at the sun... who points the gun sideways. I think most of us on this forum probably learned that  respect from watching westerns on TV (back when TV was worth a damn and monitored by the FCC) or shooting with a responsible, mature adult.
Now that I think on it, nobody introduced me to BP other than TV shows and books.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 07:04:55 AM »
My LGS here in Portageville, MO., they are real nice people(to me). They don't have any Black Powder pistol. They do have a few Black Powder rifles. Not much Black Powder stuff. Like powder, balls and etc.
They can order what you need or want. I can walk in and they never put down any guns in front of me. I mean, they never say anything bad about any guns. Nice people.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 11:12:54 AM »
Exactly as it should be.  I dislike daudlin’ service from a surly shopkeeper …  won’t tolerate it.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »
Oh, I forgot to vote...I voted "other"...because my shop is easy to deal with.  ;)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 04:56:22 PM »
There are only 2 small gun shops near me, and neither has anything in the black powder line. Cabela's and Gander Mtn., yes.

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 12:34:41 AM »
I have been seeing a brass frame '51 Navy look n  thing in hardware stores. Packaged in a plastic form tray container with starter kit junk.