Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New G&G  (Read 10612 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
New G&G
« on: December 18, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »
I've always said the only brass frame revolver I would want is a Griswold & Gunnison. Well thanks to a member on another forum(58) I now have a brand new one. It still had the packing grease on it when I took these.

It does make smoke tho. 15 grains of Swiss 2F because that's what I had in the flask with a .380 round ball topped with a dab of bore butter.

It's pretty accurate at 20 steps offhand. That's 12 shots, black spot is two inches wide.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: New G&G
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 03:16:18 PM »
Now we have proof you own two brass frame revolvers.  We have seen pictures of both of them.   Great deal for you Hawg.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 03:39:55 PM »
Now we have proof you own two brass frame revolvers.  We have seen pictures of both of them.   Great deal for you Hawg.

Don't rub it in.  *6'  At least this one is historically correct.  That's my main beef with them. I just look at this one as my .22 of the bp world.  (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 04:35:32 PM »
Congrats on your new toy & welcome to the club

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 05:30:29 PM »
Thank you Fingers.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 06:35:07 PM »
Way to go Hawg.  Nice score. 
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 09:33:55 PM »
Hate to say it Hawg, but it might just grow on you.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 03:13:41 AM »
Hawg, like you, the G&G is the only one I would consider.

Good looking revolver!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 05:37:08 AM »
I just realized I can swap the barrel and cylinder with my navy and have a Leech & Rigdon or the barrel from the navy and have a Schneider & Glassick. The grip frame may have to do double duty as it doesn't have the Pietta tail.  (7+" Just got to get the shiny off of it. I hate shiny brass.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »
Although I haven't owned a brass framed revolver since I bought my first one in 1969, that is a mighty fine looking piece their Hawg and has got me interested in the G&G.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »
It does have a cool factor.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »
Hawg,

I have been following your threads on this forum and the sister site

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=9753.0

and find them extremely informative. I see the wood on both your Pietta 1851 and Pietta G&G are the proverbial "plain" straight-grained European walnut which, only IMHO, I find "blah". That is not to denigrate your pistols. I just like better figured wood. I know many folks like to stay with "original" type wood, even going to the extreme of sanding the grip down to simulate ill-fitting wood-to-metal fit as is found on many used original Colts. There are all sorts of genres in this hobby, and I appreciate them all.

After all, this is a replica hobby and one must do as to his/her satisfaction or not.

I purchased a Pietta 1851 Navy round brass TG (date code [CM] 2014) at the end of last year from Cabela's and added a Pietta brass squareback TG to it from Taylor's. I also purchased a nicely figured European hardwood grip from an EBay seller (who parts out Pietta revolvers) as a replacement for the plain-jane original Pietta grip. No fitting needed.

When I purchase my new Pietta G&G from Cabela's in about a week, I will have to discern what the TG and backstrap dimensions are, as I want another nicely figured piece of wood for it, probably from EBay. The problem with Pietta hardwood grips is they have a thin surface stain and any mods to the wood to fit a different configuration must entail removal of wood and a completely different stain/finish.

Well, we'll see.

I will keep you folks posted.

Merry Christmas!

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 07:02:22 PM »
You must have gotten lucky on the grips because most don't interchange. Uberti and Pietta both do the final fitting of the grips and grip frame together. So no two sets of grips match.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 07:44:49 PM »
Thanks Scoob. Yeah we would have some fun. I can't wait for the shiny to get gone. I like my brass a nice mellow yellow. (7+"

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 06:14:49 PM »
Hawg:

I got my G&G tonight and it is exactly as you described insofar as the grip/backstrap.

It will take a few days to check it out/sort it out. The wedge is very tight but seated in farther than my Pietta 1851 originally was, so, work to do.

I want to show a few combinations using this, so should I start a new thread elsewhere on this forum, or...?

Jim
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 06:17:13 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo