Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: $30 Gun Show Navy  (Read 7933 times)

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
$30 Gun Show Navy
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:50:53 AM »
A few months ago I went to the local gun show and while standing in line to buy a ticket bought this non-working Navy model from the guy standing in front of me for  $30.  Tore it down, cleaned it, replaced the hammer and mainspring, works great.  It's a Pietta model, from 1971 or so.  Since it's a brasser and thought it might make a neat Confederate style revolver, I decided I'd take off the blueing (vinegar and water), put some mustard on it and let it bake outside for a day or so then cleaned it up with some steel wool.  Then, I built a presentation case and painted a little known State of NC Civil War flag on the outside of the box. 

Kind of a neat project for $30.  Lot of satisfaction in finding something that just needs a little TLC to be useful again.  It is a great shooter and has a really smooth action.  Here's a few pics below.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:58:28 AM by 99whip »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: $30 Gun Show Navy
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:02:01 AM »
Nice! What you have there is actually an "accidental Schneider & Glassick" due to the bare cylinder...which makes it a bit more desirable that your run-of-the-mill brass Navy...see this post over on the Collector's forum:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php?board=15.0

Nice work, and great 'find'!  ;)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:07:08 AM »
Excellent save and display!!

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:23:43 AM »
Great all around job, 99whip !
I knew about the vinegar with or without water to remove the blueing, but not the mustard. What effect does it have on steel and brass ?
The box looks good too. Did you really build it yourself, or fit it out ?

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:01:03 AM »
Good save on the revolver. I really like your display box also. Where did you buy the lining material for it? 8)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 10:22:19 AM »
Nice save whip. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 10:49:45 AM »
Ringo,
I used the mustard after the blueing was gone to give the gun an older look.  I only used it on the steel, not sure what affect it would have on the brass, but basically it just darkens it and gives it some "age".  I only did one application of it, but, you might get better results doing it a few times over.  To be honest, I know almost zero about it, it was the 1 and only time I've ever attempted it.  Also, I did build the box myself.

DD1,
I got the lining for the box at Hobby Lobby.  The flash from my camera makes it look bright green, but it's a very dark green color in reality.  I didn't have it in this pic but I eventually put a copy of the original colt's loading instructions on the top half of the box.

Thanks for the additional reference CaptainK, I had read that somewhere but wasn't exactly sure. 

Nothing like a $30 gun...that's just crazy to me.

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 12:24:38 PM »
Thanks for the answer, 99whip.
I might try the mustard trick sometime.
I wish I was able to build a box as you did. Unfortunately, I am not very gifted, and I don't have that many tools.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 12:43:10 PM »
Most brassers have a much smoother action than their steel counterparts, I've found.....
Since there's no finish on it, now might be a good time to defarb it. A lot of the original confederate revolvers I've seen bear the CSA stamp on the various parts (frame, cylinder, barrel, TG and BS) Hard to tell about the S&G as there are, I believe, only a handful of originals ever recovered.
Mine is too nice to abuse but I've thought about doing another one, stripping the bluing, defarbing and giving it a real beat-up look just because. I've found a lot of nice deals, but never a $30.00 revolver! Nice score!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »
Yea, I figured for $30 it would be a good learning experience no matter what happened.  I think the guy I bought it from got it used when he was a teen, shot it till it broke, put in a drawer and never fixed it.   

Ringo - building those boxes isn't terribly difficult. A decent table saw is needed, and a router is helpful, although not required. 

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 01:43:07 PM »
Hard to tell about the S&G as there are, I believe, only a handful of originals ever recovered.

Only three known and one of them is iron framed.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 01:45:52 PM »
Hi 99whip, Great job on that.  L@.

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 01:48:27 PM »
Ringo - building those boxes isn't terribly difficult. A decent table saw is needed, and a router is helpful, although not required.
I haven't got a table saw or a router. I only have hand tools, and I am not very handy with them. I guess I'll just continue scanning Ebay for nice ready-made boxes...

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 05:26:18 PM »
I haven't got a table saw or a router. I only have hand tools, and I am not very handy with them. I guess I'll just continue scanning Ebay for nice ready-made boxes...

Ringo; check out this link from our sister forum (1858 Remington):

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=6804.msg107506#msg107506

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »
Nice work, thanks for showing us your handiwork.