Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: A new used Uberti 1851  (Read 18637 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: A new used Uberti 1851
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 09:10:08 PM »
Hey Cap,
 I didn't take it any other way, that's why I answered the way I did. Some folks question and I try to answer if I can. You always respond. That let's me know you at least read it and (hopefully ) even consider it. The things I mention sometimes have to do with what I do to make this a living for me. Even so, I put it out there but, there's been a few occasions after doing so, it's like a slap in the face when they go right ahead without acknowledging a reason why or why not. So, I've decided to let them start with a wooden wheel every day. I like to learn but if I can't get feedback, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Glad you can see where I'm coming from, Mike. It took Colt a full 25 years to come to the conclusion that Sam's method of big, fat arbor, wedge and removable barrel was not equal to the stronger and better engineered 1868 Remington top strap design, and when they did, they created the "better mousetrap" of the 1873. Don't take this as blasphemy, either...I love the Colt open tops as much as the next guy and they are a true work of art. But the wedge system is really pretty "Rube Goldberg" in comparison to the 1873 or other full frame revolvers of the day.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 04:15:58 AM »
... It took Colt a full 25 years to come to the conclusion that Sam's method of big, fat arbor, wedge and removable barrel was not equal to the stronger and better engineered 1868 Remington top strap design, and when they did, they created the "better mousetrap" of the 1873... [/quote]

the revolver that Colts submitted to the Army for testing in 1872 was an open top.  It was returned to Colt and at the Army's insistence, a top strap was added and the chambers were reworked to use an inside lubed bullet.

The arbor and wedge, from a mechanical view, is the stronger of the two systems.  I will now need to dig through my library to find those reports.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 07:26:42 AM »
Kevin beat me to it!
I'm not one that believes the Remie is as strong as many say.  I've posted before about that. In short, the force these revolvers put on their design (mainly  where they put the force) is most easily handled by the tensile strength of the arbor (the big fat ones! Lol!!! ( sorry Cap. I had too!!!). It is a really good design. (I actually BENT a brass Remie just loading it!! Never heard of anyone bending a brass open top!)  The best design feature of the Remington is the screw in barrel. If it had been designed with a more Colt type action (two screw pins instead of one like Spiller&Burr did)  it would have been tops!!!
Just think!! A great action (Colts geometry), easy drop cylinder (Remie mainstay! And the problem with S&B, & ROA) and ease of manufacturing!! They all hit around it and S&B almost got it!!

But, getting back to topic , I like Remies and they need help too (just like  open tops). That said, the Colts top strap Root revolver predated the Remington/Beals by a few yrs. so, they could have !!!! Personally, I think they are ugly. That said, there was also the Root  revolving rifle and a revolving shotgun!!! Like those!!!

OK, gotta get in the shop!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:28:59 AM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 11:59:07 AM »
Hi, the Howell 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder just came in the door. It dropped right into my engraved Uberti 1851 Navy and the timing is excellent. This is different than adding a Howell 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder to a Pietta 1851 Navy. With the Piettas an adjustment of the hand is always required, the Pietta hand must be shortened a few thousands. There is only one issue I have to resolve with the conversion cylinder in the Uberti, it is ~0.005" longer than the C&B cylinder that came in the revolver. If you remember, I set the barrel/cylinder gap to 0.005", tap the wedge in too hard and the conversion cylinder binds. There are two potential paths to resolve this issue, either shorten the conversion cylinder a thou or two, or file the forcing cone end of the barrel. Since I probably won't own any more Uberti 1851s, shortening the conversion cylinder may be the better option.

The Uberti replacement screws arrived yesterday. I discovered why the brass handle frame screw was buggered, it's not the correct screw. There are two shorter frame screws, one that fits the front of the trigger guard and the other is for the handle frame. Replacing the long frame screw with the shorter one now has this revolver a perfect Uberti 1858 Navy.

Now if the weather would only improve, I could test out this new (used) revolver.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:01:06 PM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 04:04:20 AM »
Hi, slow hand sanding of metal off the face of the 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder now has the cylinder with a barrel/cylinder gap of 0.002", perfect. The cylinder face was polished and cold blued. This is the engraved Uberti 1851 Navy with Howell conversion cylinder:

Can't wait to shoot it!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2016, 06:30:42 AM »
Hi, now that I'm familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the Uberti 1851, fitting new bolt and setting a correct arbor length, it's time to move forward. To optimize my investment in new Uberti parts and conversion cylinder, another Uberti 1851 has been ordered from Dixie, see:
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1027&osCsid=3c1j9rs9rc2lrkkmug91b7nbc0

What's better than one Uberti 1851?  Two Uberti 1851s. This will balance the two Pietta .36 1851s already owned.

This leads me to another conclusion. If you just want an 1851 to shoot and not have to mess with, the Pietta is the answer. It's almost perfect right out of the box and lower cost than the Uberti. Uberti Colts never come working properly right out of the box. However, if you just love messing around with gunsmithing, the Uberti 1851 is the ideal candidate. Pietta Colts were built for shooting lovers, the Uberti Colts for masochists.  ($! ($! ($!

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 09:04:20 AM »
Hi, look what just came in the door. It's a LeatherSmith Mike's lined holster for 1851 revolvers. The new engraved Uberti 1851 fits in the holster like a glove, it's perfect. I had some cheap Cabela's holsters that I used for my 1851s, but now I can carry in style. Mike sure does good work, the workmanship on this holster is excellent. The engraved 1851 in the new holster:

Regards,
Richard

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 09:30:44 AM »
That's the kind of elegance I like : plain and simple.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 07:07:38 PM »
Very nice.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2016, 03:57:03 AM »
Mike sure knows how to stitch and stamp leather.  That is a classy holster.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 04:04:09 AM »
Yap, real nice.!! Congratulations!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com