Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Interesting engraved 1851 frame  (Read 3040 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Interesting engraved 1851 frame
« on: March 01, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »
Hi, while looking over GunBroker offerings I notice an engraved Pietta 1851 frame for sale. It is for the .44 caliber, but I never saw such a deep engraving on a Pietta. The typical engraving on the Piettas is a shallow laser engraving. This is the listing:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544785710

Has anyone seen this deep engraving from Pietta before?

If it was for the .36 caliber I would have bought it.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting engraved 1851 frame
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:33:58 PM »
No, I have not, but I think some changes may be happening at the Pietta factory.

The same seller is offering a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 steel frame with some very nice, deep case colors, date code CN (2015), better than I have seen on other Piettas:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544785463

The Pietta G&G (date code CN) that I bought from Cabela's 2 months ago exhibits a more "traditional" Navy backstrap/triggerguard/grip than the previous years of the "tail" type of configuration.

Hmmm...

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
Pietta offered that engraving pattern through Cabelas last year.   They had both the Laser engraved and the pattern in the GunBroker ad.   I believe they were offered in the 1851 and 1860 models.   Not sure if there were any Remingtons engraved like that.   They only had them for a short period so I think they were a limited run by Pietta.   There were more Laser engraved models available than the others.    There was still one on display at the Cabelas store north of Denver around Christmas time.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:29:21 PM »
Mike, Good to know. There are so many minor details involved with this stuff that we would not know without individuals like you on these varied forums.

I spend a lot of time printing out the little post gems for my scrapbook. I am on my second large binder so far and I have

Thanks!

Jim
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:59:48 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo