Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Poll

What is your favorite Colt, or Colt repro?

Paterson
0 (0%)
Walker (or variation)
0 (0%)
Dragoon (or variation)
3 (13%)
Pocket model (please specify)
0 (0%)
1851 Navy (or variation)
15 (65.2%)
1860 Army
2 (8.7%)
1861 Navy
3 (13%)
Open Top
0 (0%)
Other model or variation (incl. Confed. models)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: What is your favorite BP Colt or Colt repro?  (Read 14957 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
What is your favorite BP Colt or Colt repro?
« on: March 08, 2016, 05:44:25 PM »
This is a brain teaser...it's hard to pick a favorite Colt, but one of them has to stand out in your mind as better than all the others. So, not only am I asking you to vote in the poll as to which is your favorite, but also to explain to all of us as to WHY?
Interestingly enough, there have been a bunch of threads here as to which is your favorite Colt to shoot, but I'm also including the "eye-candy" factor and the "fondle factor" as valid points of contention equal to handling and shootability (is that a word?)
I've set the poll to allow you to change your mind if you so desire.
This should be interesting......
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:51:53 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite BP Colt or Colt repro?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »
This one is really, really hard for me. I love my Dragoon, but it's heavy and unwieldy. I love my '60 Army and it's such a close second it's not funny. Baby Dragoon is cute but really too small. The brassers are cool bling but not up to the punishment of a steelie.
So, the trophy has to go to the 1851 Navy, partly because it uses less powder, minimal to no recoil, well-balance, the most pointable revolver ever made IMHO, the looks scream "Civil War!" from across the room, but most of all; because of all of the above, it's a tack-driver!

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 06:01:48 PM »
 L@J  That is tough....Love my Walker and my 1860 but the 51 Navy is the most perfectly balanced and just enough power. Plus as the Capn said they are tack drivers.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 06:27:57 PM »
The 51 navy is best in my experience. I never had a 61 navy but I think if I had the 51 would still be it for me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »
My all time favorite is the 1861 Navy; but, the 1851 Navy is awful close.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 08:47:12 PM »
The 51 navy is best in my experience. I never had a 61 navy but I think if I had the 51 would still be it for me.

Reasons?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:23:44 PM »

Reasons?

Aesthetics mostly. I'm a sucker for octagonal barrels, always have been. That's the main reason I bought my first Remington, that and it was a .44. It was years before I even thought about buying a Colt but the 51 was a .36 and I just couldn't get into a .36 caliber for a long time even tho I loved the way they looked. Once I got that first one tho I pretty much weaned myself off of Remingtons. I like the 60 pretty well but not as much as the 51.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 03:50:53 AM »
My first pair of C&B revolvers were Colt's 1861, way back in the early 60s.  They were nearly 100 years old then and I enjoyed shooting them.  The 1860s were a bit more then I could handle at that time.  Eventually, I was offered a lot of money to put them into a collection, so they were sold.  Fast forward to 1971, I go to the Log Cabin Shop for powder and there in the case is a pair of Uberti 1861s.  They were closeouts from Replica Arms and priced to sell.  They sold!  I still have them and shoot them infrequently.  When it comes to C&B revolvers, the ones I shoot the most are probably the Pocket Police models or the 1860s.  The Walkers are a nice novelty piece, the Dragoons only slightly more practical.

But that is not what the good Captain asked.  He asked what is the favorite, so, for me, it really is the 1861.  The balance is better than any other revolver, they shoot well with no noticable recoil and they have a good history with me.  Oh yeah, they have fluted cylinders which my first ones did not but the flutes are still a whole lot of cool!

Kevin
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:55:44 AM by StrawHat »
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 04:29:36 AM »
Hi, this is too tough for me to choose just one, it's like asking which of your children you love the most. I love all my Colts!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 05:21:12 AM »
The 1851 is the one for me (no surprise there). I also am fond of the old model pockets (scaled down 1851s), 1861s (1851s with 1860 barrels), and 1862s (both based on 1851s). The fact is to me the 1851 is the epitome of the Old West. Even though most silver screen cowboys used SAAs (John Wayne included), the 1851 is still my fantasy revolver, the one all my western heroes have worn and shot.

Offline Major

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »
Not at all difficult for me,  1860 Army , followed closely by the 51 & 61's 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 06:41:12 PM »
Not at all difficult for me,  1860 Army , followed closely by the 51 & 61's
Ahh...but WHY? This is an essay question!

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 06:44:48 PM »
This just isn't right.  You're making my head hurt. :'(  It is almost like being asked which one of your children is your favorite, and doing it in front of them. ^j)

How about a list, one through five, or six. No wait, seven... Ten is a good round number. Answer A, B, C, D, E... All of the above.  (7&

I will say it all started for me with the Colt 1851 Navy.  8)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »
Guys, guys....I'm not trying to make you pick your favorite kid! (&+
I'm trying to get you to nail down what makes the Colt of your choice your favorite....be it looks, feel, balance, etc! :-*
There's gotta be a reason. And Colts don't get their feelings hurt so ya don't gotta lie..... L@J

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 08:39:05 PM »

Reasons?

They are both natural point shooters; grips 'fit' my hands better than any other models.  The Improved belt pistol of navy caliber ('61 Navy) over the Old Model Belt Pistol of Navy Caliber ('51 Navy) only because of the round streamline barrel; ratcheting loading lever; and larger loading lever catch. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce