Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: P53 Enfields  (Read 6526 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
P53 Enfields
« on: March 24, 2016, 09:15:44 PM »
Top is an original dated 1861. Bottom is an Armi Sport I bought back around 1980. The repro will tear hell out of a five gallon bucket at 300 yards with 70 grains of Pyrodex and a 510 grain minie. The destructive power is unbelievable. I haven't shot the original that far because the rear sight ladder is missing.

The bayonets are both original.

This is a recovered minie after it buried itself  in the soft dirt of a pond bank from 300 yards. It left a hole four inches across and nine inches deep.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: P53 Enfields
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 06:44:13 AM »
Beautiful! How did you wind up with two?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:00:15 AM »
I've always been a C.W. buff and IIRC it was in 1980 I bought the repro. I just looked at the date code and it's AC so I bought it in 77, so much for memory  (7+". Then in the early 90's I was making enough money to buy pretty much what I wanted and started going to C.W. reenactments. In 95 I went to one in Corinth MS. From there it wasn't far to the Shiloh battlefield park and there was a relic shop/museum on the edge of it. That's where I met Rafe and Lori Eledge. You may have seen Rafe on Antiques Roadshow. Anyway it was a small place chock full of original pieces and it was a hands on museum you could buy stuff from. He had the original there and I bought it for 900 bucks. After that I'd make two or three trips a year just to shop for C.W. stuff. Then in 99 my world went to shit in a hand basket and I don't have much of my C.W. stuff left but I do still have the Enfield.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 10:26:19 PM »
The rear sight is the most glaring difference. The lock markings are noticeably different and there's a few subtle differences I doubt a soldier during the war would have noticed.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:32:15 PM »
The rear sight is the most glaring difference. The lock markings are noticeably different and there's a few subtle differences I doubt a soldier during the war would have noticed.

So....spill the beans. What are the differences?
I really enjoyed the Uberti/Pietta show & tell (a.k.a. Find The Differences?)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 11:39:07 PM »
The repro has a kind of a rounded version of the 73 trapdoor sight and the original looks more like a non windage adjustable Buffington rear sight. You can't see any detail in the pics but you can tell there's a major difference.

Offline old fogey

• Ass-hat Extrodinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 08:29:54 PM »
Shoot Hawg, show a few more pictures of yer Enfields (both the real and repop - I'm liking both [the original naturally has a edge] and would like more pictures please!).

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 12:10:23 AM »
I'll see what I can do but might be a few days. Not feeling too sporty.

Offline old fogey

• Ass-hat Extrodinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 10:48:16 AM »
Truly sorry to hear that. Flu? Whatever the cause, hope you get back to feeling yerself shortly!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 02:32:15 PM »
Truly sorry to hear that.

yeah, feeling pretty miserable.

Offline old fogey

• Ass-hat Extrodinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
Re-read this thread;
Captainkirk:
                    *** So....spill the beans. What are the differences? ***;

+ 1
- Was thinking meybe onna these days saving up enough moola fer onna them Pedersoli Enfields or (if'n I's ta hit the Lottery -) a Whitworth!(Enfield a heck of a lot more probable!)

So, how bout spillen them beans with a little photo display of the differences 'twixt the gennie and a faux?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:47:04 PM by old fogey »

dromia

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 12:06:37 AM »
Here are some of my reproduction Enfield Muzzle Loaders, all UK made Parker Hales.

Left to right P61 Artillery Carbine "Musketoon", P58 Naval rifle, P53, Volunteer two band, Volunteer three band, Whitworth.