Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1851 Uberti London Navy  (Read 20866 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: 1851 Uberti London Navy
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
Well Richard,
  Your opinion is your opinion.
My opinion is that the shooter of an "un-corrected" revolver is flirting with damaging said revolver if he allows the wedge to be the only mediator between the two assemblies for any length of time. Even more so if the wedge is allowed to become totally loose.

For what it's worth, I didn't say anything about a jackhammer either. (Must be the Evelyn Woods speed reading course .  .  . )  As far as I know, the jackhammer wasn't around in the 1860's. It was usually one man holding a drill while another man (the smarter of the two) hit it with a sledge hammer.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline r5868

• View Profile
    • ANZACSONS
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 08:42:47 PM »
You guys seem to be looking at the same coin but from different sides. You both agree that it should be done. It's just a matter of when.

• Richard - when you get a chance.
    Mike - before you shoot it the first time.
I've enjoyed reading your repartee and have learned a lot from the discussion. Main thing I've learnt is that the wedge is a consumable and ultimately will need replacing. It's designed that way to prevent wear in the frame or the arbor. The object is to make it last longer and for the revolver to be consistent ever time it is fired.

It's great to learn more about what is going on when the pistol is fired and why it reacts the way it does.

Thanks again to both of you for your input.
Kerry

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 09:06:25 PM »
You are right Kerry.
Except for the "consumable " part. The wedge you have will be fine unless it gets beaten up. I add an adjustable bearing that allows you to keep adjusting the wear out of your wedge so you can keep it.  You can also decide the placement of the wedge in the slot - in further to clear holsters or as far out as a new one.
 Many of the first generation open tops still have their original wedges. "Replacement " wedges are a newer thing (for a reason).

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:08:02 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 09:09:10 PM »
The wedge can shake loose whether the arbor length is correct or not, hence the reccommendation  to tap the wedge in until it is tight, which makes it harder to shake loose. On a gun with too short of an arbor, tapping the wedge in until it's tight can bind the cylinder. Not tapping it in all the way(using the wedge to set the cylinder gap) can make the wedge easier to shake loose, which in turn has all sorts of negative effects, like battering the wedge, battering the recoil shield and changing the cylinder gap. On a gun with an arbor of correct length the cylinder will not bind when you tap in the wedge all the way and the wedge will be less likely to shake loose because it is in tight, which helps protect the gun from the aforementioned negative effects. Is that a fair summation Mike?

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2016, 10:28:01 PM »
Excellent!!

Thank you Sir!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:29:42 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline r5868

• View Profile
    • ANZACSONS
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2016, 06:59:13 PM »
Hi guys, just got back from our holiday in Canada and USA and am wanting to shoot the Colt. As no one seems to make .380 balls, I ordered a mould, along with a few other bits of gear, from my favourite Black powder supplier. Rang two days before we left for overseas and asked for a price so that I could pay before we left. No reply was received before we left but found the parcel waiting for me when we returned. Invoice said -" pay when you get back. Have a nice holiday". Great firm to deal with.

Now I just needed a furnace to melt some lead. Contacted LGS and had to order a Lyman Big Dipper as they had none in stock. Another couple of weeks to wait. I suppose I can use that time to source some lead from our plumber. I've got 1.25kg of lead sheet already but will get a supply of flashing offcuts from the plumber.

Totally frustrating to have the pistol here and have no way of trying it out. It seems so tiny after handling my 1858.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2016, 07:58:11 PM »
It will grow on you. Trust me.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 09:32:22 AM »
As no one seems to make .380 balls, I ordered a mould, along with a few other bits of gear, from my favourite Black powder supplier.

You can get .380s from the Log Cabin Shop (http://logcabinshop.com/catalog.php?route=product/product&path=184_157_15&product_id=24935) Stonewall Creek outfitters (http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com/shooting-supplies/bullets-balls-and-slugs/) and others
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline r5868

• View Profile
    • ANZACSONS
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 08:10:07 PM »
Unfortunately Fingers, the cost of shipping lead to Australia would make it uneconomical. I can get them from the supplier mentioned previously but postage would be too high. It would more than double the cost.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 08:41:50 PM »
Unfortunately Fingers, the cost of shipping lead to Australia would make it uneconomical. I can get them from the supplier mentioned previously but postage would be too high. It would more than double the cost.

I can see where that might be a problem.  Didn't dawn on me that you were in Australia.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline r5868

• View Profile
    • ANZACSONS
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 12:03:36 AM »
Went to our monthly competition shoot today and took the Colt to show the other members while I shot my Remmy. After the shoot, one of the members gave me three .375 balls to try. Loaded 15 grains of 3F (nearly filled the chamber), a sprinkling of coffee grounds to fill it and the .375 ball. It cut a very fine ring off each of the balls. Fired at some metal gongs at 25m. Worked perfectly but didn't hit anything. No idea where the balls went. Will try again with paper targets to work out the POI. Good crisp action and a delight to shoot. Lets hope it is accurate and reliable.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 04:38:37 AM »
Hi r5868, IMO if a current production Pietta or Uberti 1851 the balls went ~8-10 inches over your target. In any event you at least know your 1851 functions and goes bang. I look forward to seeing your shooting report after you get a sufficient supply of lead balls.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline r5868

• View Profile
    • ANZACSONS
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2016, 10:32:58 PM »
Finally made my .380 balls and went to the range today. Was not sure where it would shoot to start off with so set a target at 15m. I'd heard that it could be up to 10 inches high and to the left or right. Fired 6 shots, two handed with a rest, and all landed in the black. Pleased with the results, I moved the target out to 25m and fired off 15 shots with the following results.

The two shots not in the photo were a little further to the left. The white dot was my aiming point. Point of impact - correct elevation but slightly left of point of aim.

I was using Remington No.11 caps and these worked well for the first cylinder but had more and more misfires the more I shot. The nipples appear to be quite short allowing the skirt of the cap to touch the base of the nipple. Next time I'll try No.10s seeing they have a shorter skirt.

I tried to be consistent with have the sprew flat uppermost when seating the ball, however for the last cylinder I tried, one handed, without seating them upright and the shots started to scatter. Still on the paper but dropping my score to 48.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »
Hi r5868, very nice for your first time shooting with correct sized balls. I'm a bit surprised that your poi=poa with your Uberti. This is what I needed to do to get poi=poa with my Uberti 1851:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1580.msg15126#msg15126

What powder loading did you use?

From what you are reporting, Uberti must have gotten their 1851 London sight properly regulated. I would be interested in seeing a close up photo of your front sight to confirm it is taller than the other Uberti 1851 models.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »
Sounds like you are dialed in pretty close!
You will be much happier using the #10 Remington caps.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"