Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Chain firing... Anyone here had it happen?  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
Chain firing... Anyone here had it happen?
« on: June 01, 2016, 07:34:08 AM »
I am using. . 375 balls and lubed wads...haven't had a problem... Just wondered if it's a real concern

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
Re: Chain firing... Anyone here had it happen?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:11:59 AM »
I had it happen with my Walker. That was many years ago, and my own fault. I didn't get hurt, but I learned a thing or two about loading it properly... especially getting the caps on for a snug fit.  (l"  It took place during a night shoot. It was truly spectacular and a thing of beauty to behold...  (jh  It happened to me and one other individual who wanted to shoot it. I have never had any since then.  8)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »
My buddy had it happen...twice...with a Lyman Navy someone had "bubba-fied". I was a wonder to behold from where I stood but scared the living shit outta him...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »
I haven't been shooting cap and ball for very long and have had no issues.  I think good fitting caps and a shaved ring of lead really minimize the chances of it occurring. 

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 11:01:21 AM »
Had a lot of them with my first revolver back in 69. It's the only one I've ever had any with but it will still do it if I don't use either wads or over ball lube. Cap fit doesn't matter. I can leave them all off save the one I fire and it won't chain. A chain fire isn't particularly dangerous as the only ball with any force behind it is the one that goes down the bore, The rest just go a few yards and drop.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 03:38:49 PM »
I had it happen once, when I thought it would be a good idea to press some "bullets" out of powder and load them into a navy Colt to shoot off for the 4th of July,  not one of my better ideas!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 04:43:51 PM »
Other than when a teenager & was using tin foil wads for bullets, Only happened once when I capped the wrong chamber.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 05:51:39 PM »
I had it happen once, when I thought it would be a good idea to press some "bullets" out of powder and load them into a navy Colt to shoot off for the 4th of July,  not one of my better ideas!

Wow...

Just...wow...

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 07:12:29 PM »
So if I use the right size ball , get that ring on loading  and have the caps down tight ... It shouldn't be an issue

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »
So if I use the right size ball , get that ring on loading  and have the caps down tight ... It shouldn't be an issue

It "shouldn't" be a problem. It has been theorized and it makes sense that particles of powder can get trapped between the ball and chamber wall and leave a trail right into the charge. It's a good idea to use lubed wads or over ball lube JIC. Plus the lube helps keep fouling soft. 
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »
had 1 chamber chain fire in a 60 army, no big deal. sounded like a 2 shot burst from a machine gun.      mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 03:15:24 AM »
Suntiger,

There is an article written about how they occur, http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps1.html (a whole series of good reads).

I also read on a forum where a guy had a brass framed Colt, with the Ring on the front of the frame all hammered up from the cylinder slamming into it, caused number 2, 3 & 4 chambers to go off when he fired it. He showed pictures where you could see the capped nipples hit the frame because the Ring no longer supported the cylinder. He then removed the Ring, soldered in a washer of some sort (which I thought looked like a good fix) then decided to scrap out the revolver. This was caused by overloading the brass frame revolver.

I think the article by John Fuhring makes a good argument for combustible cartridges.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:17:50 AM by AntiqueSledMan »