Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Question on pietta navy  (Read 5620 times)

Offline 603doug

• View Profile
Question on pietta navy
« on: June 14, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »
Bought a "yank" 1851 36 cal and it is a blast to shoot but after cleaning you have to give it a tap on the barrel to seat it on the locking pins. All my other pietta and uberti colts line up fine and seat tight. The navy other than that is fine.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:10:46 PM by 603doug »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Question on pietta navy
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 07:52:59 PM »
Hi doug, the Pietta 1851 that I bought before Christmas for my son-in-law has the same issue. The barrel comes off easy, but it takes some effort to reinstall the barrel. We found that "bending" the barrel on the arbor during assembly lets the pins go with moderate force. I think that the arbor is not exactly parallel to the water table of the revolver. IMO that condition will ease with time where it's easy doing the assembly. I would avoids striking the barrel for assembly.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 603doug

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 08:10:04 PM »
i should of said a tap with a small rubber mallet, probably could use my palm of my hand but after a couple times that would start to smart. Tried the bending and she was real stubborn. Going to keep a close eye on it and if i have to exchange it i think i will go to cabelas in maine and check out their stock. The wooden grips look real nice on this one and it shoot well so that will the last resort. For the money they are a heck of a deal.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 10:15:06 PM »
I would just tap it and not worry about it. It will get easier the more it's installed and the parts wear in.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 03:09:59 AM »
Hi Hawg, IMO it's better tight than loose for a new gun. Kind of like a first girlfriend?  (7+" (7+" (7+"

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 06:20:34 AM »
Hi Hawg, IMO it's better tight than loose for a new gun. Kind of like a first girlfriend?  (7+" (7+" (7+"

Regards,
Richard
Yeah but when it comes to girlfriends I'd rather have one that knows her way around the block instead of one that can barely get out of the driveway. (7+" (7+" (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 02:52:22 PM »
Bought a "yank" 1851 36 cal and it is a blast to shoot but after cleaning you have to give it a tap on the barrel to seat it on the locking pins. All my other pietta and uberti colts line up fine and seat tight. The navy other than that is fine.

I would like to know what the manufacture date is for your Navy. If you just purchased it, I'm willing to wager that is at least a 2015 [CN] or later.

Last Christmas I purchased a Pietta 2015 [CN) G&G (brasser) so that I could swap barrels and cylinders between it and my Pietta 2014 [CM] 1851 Navy steel.

I find that when installing either barrel on the G&G frame, I have to moderately slap it on the muzzle with the palm of my hand (no pain) to seat it, but installing either barrel on the 1851 Navy frame requires no effort at all. I am thinking the barrel lug pins alignment on the G&G is just so slightly off as to make the difference. At any rate I have no problem with it. Maybe Pietta's CNC software or their machinery is a bit off in this area these days, or the pins may be slightly different. If so, not much.

An application of gun oil may help you, but I don't normally apply oil in this location during re-assembly.

Just my $.02 worth.

Jim

Edit: I must add that the arbors are the same length on both pistols, and the barrel lug depths are the same, so the fit with all four combinations result in about a .001" gap between cylinder and forcing cone. I do keep the wedges with the corresponding barrels as the depth of the wedge fit is very slightly different but both wedges protrude far enough through the barrel lug so as to firmly engage the wedge spring.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:22:47 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline 603doug

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 06:47:58 PM »
CP which is 2016 so pietta new tooling is the culprit.
I oil the snot out of all my firearms, so they slip back together plus not rust. Sucks when I go shooting because take 20 min to wipe down. Going to shoot the navy alot in the next 90 days so if something does  happen I can return to cabelas

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 03:26:49 AM »
Hi doug, I had understood that once a BP revolver was fired that it couldn't be returned for a Cabelas exchange or refund. Don't know for sure, but you may want to check with them before shooting your revolver.

Regards,
Richard