Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pietta 1851 $180  (Read 8152 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Pietta 1851 $180
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:27:01 PM »
Hi Kirk, here's your chance, a new Pietta 1851 for $180 and free shipping. The Cabelas inventory reduction is occurring quickly. Better act fast.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pietta-Model-Navy-Yank-Caliber-Black-Powder-Revolver/705021.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dpietta%26CQ_st%3Db

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 05:34:50 PM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
Re: Pietta 1851 $180
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 03:29:27 PM »
Dagnabit!  I went from owning zero open tops earlier this year to having three in as many months.  How did I let that happen??   🙂
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 04:56:28 PM »
Sounds like you came to your senses   (7+"  !!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 05:33:39 PM »
That is a great deal, very tempting to get another..

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 10:46:29 AM »
Back to regular price today. Thanks for posting this ssb73q as these sales are often very short. I decided not to get one this time since I need to repair or improve the revolvers I already have more then I need a new one.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »
I had to make a choice between new Navy and having Goon work my new-to-me Dragoon. Goon won.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:36:28 PM »
Hi Kirk, here's your chance, a new Pietta 1851 for $180 and free shipping. The Cabelas inventory reduction is occurring quickly. Better act fast.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pietta-Model-Navy-Yank-Caliber-Black-Powder-Revolver/705021.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dpietta%26CQ_st%3Db

Regards,
Richard

Well, without reading this post (or any others concerning this sale), as I was in the market for a Pietta 1851 Navy replica Third Model (or Fourth Model if you will), date coded [CP], I stumbled upon this sale on October 4. $180 and free shipping (plus state sales tax), so I grabbed it. It arrived yesterday October 10.

[Side note: Mr. Brown had just delivered another package across the road and came to our place (very rural) and said he had been bitten by one of their dogs on the leg. We offered him some first aid but all he would accept was a few alcohol swabs and a Band-Aid. I hope he is doing well.]

Mixed emotions on this pistol.

It came in what appears the original Pietta box slathered in oil, as usual. After cleaning it up and inspecting it, there are a few flaws and a few raves.

Raves:

The trigger is awesome out of the box: about a 3# or less pull, no creep, and crisp. Better than my other two Pietta 1851's, and the wood fit to the metal is better than my two other Pietta 1851's [the 1851 Navy Second Model (SB TG) [CM] and the Griswold and Gunnison [CN] and the walnut wood grain is flat-sawed (as opposed to my Pietta G&G which is walnut quarter-sawed), which makes (IMO) a better looking grip. The case colors on the frame and the load-lever are more than adequate, comparing them to my Pietta "tail" 1851 Navy Second Model SB, which I am very partial to.

Flaws:

Even though it came to me in a factory box, bathed in oil in the plastic bag, I wonder if it was a display model.

The barrel has very minor surface scratches on all surfaces, and the brass TG and backstrap have minor abrasions which I can remedy with judicious polishing.

I believe this is due to people handling the pistol at a Cabela's store; maybe or maybe not. Maybe that was why it was on sale. Dunno.

All in all, for the price, I am pleased. Just a bit of work to do, as always. Guido the Gorilla pounded in the wedge, but after 15 minutes of moving the wedge with oil back and forth I can honestly say that all barrel/wedge/cylinders interchange easily between the three pistols, with no fitting as with the previous two pistols.

When I refinish the wood with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil I will post pictures of my replicas (to include S&G, L&R, and others).

As I am into 1851 Navy variations, this will probably my last purchase of a C&B revolver unless I can score an 1848 Colt Dragoon Second Model replica at a good price (I just love SB TG's).

Have a good day, folks!

Jim

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:39:25 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 08:29:06 PM »
sourdough, glad you were able to get one at this good price. Patience pays off.

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 03:04:53 AM »
Sourdough, got mine yesterday and it has similar flaws to finish.  I don't think it was a display model necessarily, just not a lot of money spent on finish or keeping it pristine.

Timing is excellent.

Some burrs that I addressed; will try to put up pics later.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 10:43:28 AM »
The loading lever was difficult to move throughout its range.

Burrs and machine marks in pivot area.

Needle files and stone took care of that. Now when you unlatch there is slight resistance first half inch of movement; after that free movement.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 12:49:27 PM »
Wow, my pistol has nothing that bad. Glad you could clean it up. I'm feeling bad about complaining about mine. I guess I may be a bit spoiled?

The ridges on my lever latch are so sharp as to wound! Not that I am complaining much, if at all.

Thanks for the pic, sir. I just put the first coat of Tru-Oil on the wood yesterday, but I normally wait 3 days or more before steel-wooling it smooth, and then applying a very thin final coat, and then waiting a few days before it is done, and lightly wooling it again, and then polishing it with an old piece of Levi's denim.

I appreciate your comments. As another has said, we may have just gotten, sadly, into one of the last good sales that Cabela's offers. I am hoping, with corporate aligning of BassPro/Cabela's, that we may see at least one more sale "hurrah" around Thanksgiving/Christmas. If I was looking for a deal in the waning days, I would check Cabela's every day until January 1 because, as has been seen here, they frequently put on one-day sales with free shipping.

As others have commented, we may be in the twilight year of nice prices for these replicas.

Back to work.

You folks have a good day. We in SW WA are expecting several large storms over the next 5-6 days and I may be busy coping with power failures/backup genset/flooding and other things. Just went to the local gas station to fill up our gas jugs.

See you when it is over!

Jim

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 04:19:41 PM »

Burrs on recoil shield, also cleaned up.
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 04:24:43 PM »
Arbor length seems just about perfect.

Yielding a .005 cylinder gap.

Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 05:30:05 PM »
Pietta arbor length is normally good as compared to Uberti. .005" is nice. Mine are tighter than that but yours will work fine.  I have seen some original Navies that have a very considerable daylight gap and I guess they worked. Sorry you had to clean up the burrs so much. I guess mine was better and I am complaining about nothing.

Just waiting for the first coat of Tru-Oil to dry.

Jim

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 06:34:18 PM »
Hadn't seen this particular Pietta packaging before.

I find it amusing. :)
Engineer?
Unabashed patriot!