Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Anybody Still Make Navy With A Square Trigger Guard?  (Read 16193 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Re: Anybody Still Make Navy With A Square Trigger Guard?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 09:05:45 PM »
Nice!!!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 04:38:21 AM »
Hi, the new Pietta 1851 Squareback was torn down for inspection and adjustments. The internals were very clean. Interesting that the nipples were easily removed with light hand pressure. All the parts were cleaned in paint thinner. Anti-seize was put on the nipple threads. The sides of the bolt and hand was stoned smooth. The hand was stoned to very slightly shorten the hand so that the conversion cylinder functions properly. I noticed that when the grip was removed, the wood fit to the backstrap heel is perfect. There must be some distortion on being assembled that leaves the bottom of the grip slightly proud. The stains on the brass came right off using Brasso. Ballistol was applied to all the parts of the revolver and the revolver reassembled. Photos later today.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 05:36:06 AM »
Hi, Pietta 1851 Squareback photos:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Daf57

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 06:24:31 AM »
Looks good! Glad to hear that Brasso will remove the stains. Thanks!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 03:49:12 PM »
Hi, Pietta 1851 Squareback photos:

Regards,
Richard

That's not a "tail" pistol so it must have a manufacture date of 2015 [CN] or newer. Very, very nice.  I love the wood. The older Pietta  pre-2015 1851 Navy pistols had a case-colored trigger.

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »
Hi Jim, my squareback 1851 was manufactured in 2016. Something I noticed about the squareback compared to an 2014 Pietta 1851 with the grip tail is that handling the squareback isn't as secure as the 1851 with the grip tail. Also, that squareback trigger guard will be a PITA when shooting compared to the rounded trigger guard. The squareback may have made sense on the larger grip revolvers where used, but it isn't a well proportioned as the rounded trigger guard for the 1851.

IMO if you are looking for display pretty 1851, get the squareback, but if you want a shooter 1851, get the rounded trigger guard revolver.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »
Hi, I received the Wolff 32280 reduced power spring today and installed it in the Pietta 1851 squareback. The screw hole was enlarged so the hand spring screw would go through and the bottom of the spring was ground off ~1/16". The revolver was then reassembled. The action now is as slick as goose grease, the hammer pull is excellent with a nice light trigger pull.

I have said it before and will now repeat it. The Wolff reduced power spring is the lowest cost method to create a BP revolver with a very nice light hammer and trigger pull. Forget stoning the sears, just install the reduced power spring for a dramatic improved enhancement to your BP revolver.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »
Hi, I shot the new Pietta 1851 squareback today using a Taylor 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder. A number of two handed groups were fired using 38 Special (Magnus 148gr HBWC, 2.7gr Trailboss) from 25yds.

This revolver produced 3" groups, ~7" high and ~2" to the left. Most all the colt replica revolvers I have purchased over the last few years have been dead on with windage. This revolver shooting left is a surprise.

I'm not going to screw with the sights and retire this revolver to my living room display. I have a number of other 1851s that have sights poi=poa that I will use for shooting.

Regards,
Richard

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »
ssb73q thanks for the shooting report. Your Pietta squareback '51 has really nice case colors. So does yours Jim.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2017, 08:38:26 AM »
Hi Jim, my squareback 1851 was manufactured in 2016. Something I noticed about the squareback compared to an 2014 Pietta 1851 with the grip tail is that handling the squareback isn't as secure as the 1851 with the grip tail. Also, that squareback trigger guard will be a PITA when shooting compared to the rounded trigger guard. The squareback may have made sense on the larger grip revolvers where used, but it isn't a well proportioned as the rounded trigger guard for the 1851.

IMO if you are looking for display pretty 1851, get the squareback, but if you want a shooter 1851, get the rounded trigger guard revolver.

Regards,
Richard

Couldn't have said it better. I LOVE the round TG's. My hands are big nough that the STG is a painfull POS. My 61 is purrrfect for me and it had the old humpy tail but i ground it and polished wood n brass smooth and like the feel better then any of my colts (even the 2nd and 3rd gen army). I bought a 51 barrel for it but didnt like it as well as the 61 barrel ... But the TG is just rite.
BIGTED

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2017, 07:24:22 AM »
I have a brace of square backs .... very fond of them