Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: One shot at 50 yards  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
One shot at 50 yards
« on: June 17, 2017, 05:19:59 AM »
All things being equal, if I had to take one shot at anything at that range with any pistol I own, including my " modern" ones... I think I would opt for my Navy... the Woodsman would be there too , but .36 wins
Thoughts?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: One shot at 50 yards
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 05:43:46 AM »
Hi Sun, I often shoot my 1851s from 50yds. Hard pressed to be able to have similar accuracy with any of my modern handguns. Shooting steel targets from longer distances is a hoot in the delay before you hear the steel sing. Later this year I will give shooting BP revolvers from 100yds a try.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 07:20:43 AM »
Richard

What amazes me is that something designed about 167 years ago is better in some limited ways than its progeny... of course a long barrel helps!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 07:50:57 AM »
Hi Sun, I just saw a Colt BP revolver on YouTube that shoots out to 100yds after the sights are regulated:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 07:19:24 PM »
Hi Sun, I just saw a Colt BP revolver on YouTube that shoots out to 100yds after the sights are regulated:

Regards,
Richard

All you have to do is figure out how much of the barrel you need to use as a front sight. I never really tried it with bp but had a .38 special I could hit two litre Coke bottles at 100 yards +.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline prof marvel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 11:03:49 AM »

Regards,
Richard

I too find the long barrel 1851 and 1860 to be obsurdly accurate once properly fitted and correctly sighted in ( if you eyes work!) .

I rather like the turkey myself. Whilst I find that , in general, the domestic white turkey is dumber than a brick,
I myself have met some domestic "wild color" turkeys that were as friendly as a pup  (as long as you are nt a snake).

The local wild turkeys are smarter than most people I know!

It appears to me as though he is displaying for a mate rather than  being aggressive?

yhs
prof marvel