Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cimmaron v plain Uberto  (Read 4928 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Cimmaron v plain Uberto
« on: November 17, 2017, 10:09:54 AM »
So dealing and planning to add 2 Uberti revolvers to the herd. Question is thus ...

Is there a advantage to ordering a Cimmaron over a run o the mill Uberti?

Getting ready to order a civilian 61 and a navy 51 and not sure the difference between what the Cimmaron has to offer over a regular production Uberti.

Thanks Ted
BIGTED

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
Re: Cimmaron v plain Uberto
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »
I mostly have Cimarron supposedly they have a QC guy checking them at the factory before shipping but I’m not sure. They do cost a little more and resell for a little more do it evens out
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 10:42:11 AM »
Was looking at a couple second gen Colts but i can get two Uberti's for very little more and less then a couple i looked at. Seems like the cost difference between the Cimmaron ane the regular run Uberti isnt that much different

If the QC is better on the Cimmaron then may just go that route.
BIGTED

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 03:08:17 PM »
bigted, I bought a Uberti 1861 Civilian, from BuffaloArms. It is boxed by Cimmaron.
When I received it , had a little blemish in grip finish. I called BuffaloArms, and was refered to
Cimmaron. Called Cimmaron about how to handle it, the comment I got was " I guess one got past our inspection"
That was it , no attempt to stand behind their product.... not even offer to take  it back, we will fix it....... nothing.
Cimmaron just an importer. I would not spend extra for the name.
Uberti vs Pietta I don't see a lot of difference any longer.
I refinshed the grips myself. I did get it on sale from BuffaloArms this past, January for $298 plus shipping.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
Did it ... midway for a civilian 62 and a civilian 60. No Cimmaron. Rather deal with a co that will make rite any oops in the revolvers ... tho i suspect none will be present as i really do like the Uberti quality overall and have had little wrong with my earlier purchases ... they all are a tinketers gun. Partly what i like about the Uberti and Pietta revolvers. Overall i think i prefer Uberti tho.

Thanks for the opinions ... oh and 299 each is a pretty good price rite now ... bettin a sale is rite round the corner ... ha ha😂😲 ho hum ... never was too patient OR smart 🙈🖖
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 12:03:05 AM »
Thanks scoob. Did the deed as i suspected what you and. Others have mentioned.

I like doing bus with buff arms but rsrely see in stock what im lookin for ... again like you mention.

Both my Remingtons found a new home as my mifdle finger plain got tired of getting the crap knocked off it and i also couldnt shoot 3 vylinders full before having to swsb them out because of fouling gumming up the cy pin.

All cool tho as i have gotten confirmation tofsy that the 60 and the 61 are in rout from midway ... yipee! 🤙
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 05:30:02 AM »
Got em both. The 61 has a couple blems in the brass back strap but i woulda and will get worse the these on it before its all over. Didnt want a "under glass" revolver anyway. Im a shooter and in the process they get little love marks on em anyway.

Took the 61 to parade rest and cleaned the factory gunk out with alcohol then with a stone n small file proceeded to smooth up everything. Glad to see that the gorilla didnt tighten the screws on this 2016 revolver. Nother pleasant surprise is the arbor length ... It is rite on for a tight wedge and a gap of .004 so far. May loosen up with firing but for now very pleased.

Notice the sight notch in the hammer on both revolvers is just barely there ... Good for me tho as i will be able to sight her in and adjust the notch wherever i need it to go.

Haven't tied into the 60 yet but expect it to be as good.

More news after a range session to see how the 61 handles and shoots.
BIGTED

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
Hey bigted!!
  If they're Uberti's, they got short arbors!! Don't sight um in till ya fix that!
Just sayin' .  .  .

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram 1 goonsgunworks

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 06:32:04 PM »
I thought my dragoon had a perfect arbor because I could remove the cylinder and put the barrel on with it turned a little and it matched up to the frame perfectly. Put it back on correctly tho and drive the wedge in a little tighter and it locked the cylinder up. It took two flat washers and very little filing to get it right.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »
Glad to see that the gorilla didnt tighten the screws on this 2016 revolver. Nother pleasant surprise is the arbor length ... It is rite on for a tight wedge and a gap of .004 so far. May loosen up with firing but for now very pleased.

bigted: The gorilla works for Pietta. I don't know if he moonlights for Uberti.

Pay attention to the two guys quoted below. They both have their sheet together and know a lot!

Hey bigted!!
If they're Uberti's, they got short arbors!! Don't sight um in till ya fix that!
Just sayin' .  .  .

Mike

I thought my dragoon had a perfect arbor because I could remove the cylinder and put the barrel on with it turned a little and it matched up to the frame perfectly. Put it back on correctly tho and drive the wedge in a little tighter and it locked the cylinder up. It took two flat washers and very little filing to get it right.

For clarification, the washers that Hawg refers to are added to the end of the arbor so the arbor bottoms out.

Just because you can fit the barrel on the arbor off-center and the barrel lug mates to the frame with no gap only proves that the arbor is not too long, which is hardly a concern with either Ubertis or Piettas.

If the arbor is the correct length and bottoms out in the barrel lug recess, it won't loosen up after firing and will always maintain the same barrel/cylinder gap. The purpose of the wedge is just to hold the barrel tight to the frame, whether it is just a firm thumb press or tapped in tight with a small mallet. It is not there to adjust barrel/cylinder gap. If you think so, you have a short arbor.

IMO, the only exception to this is if you have a brass frame and shoot heavy loads. This can cause the cylinder to back into the recoil shield area which can cause the barrel/cylinder gap to increase, among other problems.

Listen to these guys! They have been around the block more than a few times.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:07:58 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 03:37:15 PM »
Dragoon knows a lot more than I do. I can fix my own but wouldn't touch someone else's. Dragoon fixes everybody's.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 08:15:22 PM »
Listening. Upon further study i see that the barrel has hit on a raised portion of the arbor. Upon removing a small bit of metal i now see that the barrel depth in the arbor hole is around .065 too deep.

As i have done in the past, i filed off a small bit of the rim of a 38 spcl case to just tightly fit in the arbor hole. Next i remove the rim from the case and dress the cutoff rim to the required .065 inch thick. Now positioning the rim so the 38 spcl and the winchester engraving show ... i tap the new shim to bottom out in the arbor hole and with a hole (primer pocket) in the center and nice n tight i retry the new arbor depth on the arbor and walla super fit. Now no matter how hard the wedge is tapped in the .004 inch cyl/barrel gap remains the same.

The '60' required a .052 inch shim ... this built out of a 357 mag rim done in the same fashon.

Now got to remove metal on both to accept the paper carts loaded with conicals. Cant wait to shoot em. Actions cleaned up very well and both have very smooth and positive actions with little stoning and the usual filing in the hand slot.
BIGTED