Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Army Special 1927  (Read 6634 times)

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
Army Special 1927
« on: October 05, 2013, 02:11:37 PM »
  Here's a picture of a family heirloom, a Colt Army Special .32-20, 1927:

From what I understand, this would have been the model following the Colt New Army/Navy, shown elsewhere in Mazo's thread.  The "Army Special" was never adopted by the Army, that was an advertising ploy.  I think this led next to the Official Police model.

The bore is VG, timing and lockup excellent.  The pony stamp is distinct, so I believe this is the original bluing.  Five inch barrel, walnut grips and medallion.

I have fired this with Winchester White Box .32-20 ammo, I found the recoil very pleasant.  I read it's supposed to be somewhere between a .38 and .357.  Maybe.

Production of the Army Special started in 1908. The grips went from black Gutta Percha to walnut in 1924.  According to proofhouse.com/colt/, the serial number on this one indicates 1927, the last year of production.  Makes sense, this was owned by my Grandfather who was Chief of Police in Hawthorne, CA, in the 1930's:

Himself

When my Grandfather owned the pistol, he carved his initials on the inside of the grips.  When my Father inherited it, he did the same.  And when my Father gave it to me, I did the same.  So that's why I call it a family heirloom  ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:45:14 PM by Saranac Sam »
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Army Special 1927
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 03:09:47 PM »
That's a great looking pistol Sam.  I wish there was some heirlooms like that in my family.  I really don't have anything passed down through my family.  I'm trying to start some up for my kids and Grandkids though.
That's also a great pic of your Grandfather.  He looks like all business in that pose.  That photo with the gun in front of it in a shadow box would look great hung on the wall.

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 03:20:34 PM »

Sad thing is there was once an original tooled leather shoulder holster that was made for that pistol, which my grandfather wore when he was in civvies.  Somewhere in the middle of family dysfunctions that don't bear repeating, it got lost.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 05:27:55 PM »
That one is a keeper, Sam. Thanks for sharing......
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »
I would have liked to see that shoulder holster.  Do you have any pics?  Maybe it could be reproduced.

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 07:56:50 AM »
I would have liked to see that shoulder holster.  Do you have any pics?  Maybe it could be reproduced.

Unfortunately no pictures, I only remember seeing it all together once when I was a kid.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »
Nice pistol!

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »

Thanks guys!  I know this is a stale thread, but here's a question I would like to toss out...why would my Grandfather in the early 1930's have picked a .32-20 over a .38?  Just answered my own question with a Google search, at that time the .32-20 was THE hot pistol load...the .357 magnum was a few years away. So they could load a high pressure .32 in a .44 frame and not worry about blowing it apart.  However, I also learned that I do not want to put a .32-20 rifle cartridge in this old relic; too much.  I can buy .32-20 but want to make sure it's the modern pistol load (ammo manufacturers do not want new liability law suits)

Good flat trajectory, so I'm told, too big for rabbits, too small for bear, about right for criminals.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:44:04 AM by Saranac Sam »

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 08:01:12 AM »
That's also a great pic of your Grandfather.  He looks like all business in that pose. 

Funny story there.  In his late teens, my Dad was a wild hare (like most of us).  He got arrested in some kind of a scrape involving drinking and road racing (we're talking 1930's remember)  My Grandfather kept him locked up in jail for about 24 hours.   *6'

Granddad was a stern SOB and didn't tolerate fools.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »
Whew, glad my father wasn't a cop.  I might have spent more than 24 hrs in there.

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 02:25:58 PM »

He and his brother, my uncle, had invested jointly in a beat-up Model T and fancied themselves as hot rod mechanics.  I think they were trying to outrun a cop on a Saturday night spree and got busted...and tried to BS out of it because their father was the Chief of Police...which pissed everybody off royally...so they got to spend a night and a day in the Crossbar Hotel.

I'm still laughing   *6'

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 02:49:09 PM »
Good for Grandpa,  I'll bet he made his point.  Probably went over well with the guys on the force too.