Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 51 navy Colt  (Read 5822 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
51 navy Colt
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
Inspired ... so ... finding what appears to be a deal ... I took the plunge.

Represented as a unfired Colt in a wooden case I sent 419.00 dollars to adopt it.

After the fact, I asked what color the backstrap and triggerguard is and he says they are case colored. Never run across this before. Anybody??
BIGTED

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: 51 navy Colt
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »
$419.00 seems like a good price for an unfired Colt. But I'm with you, I've never seen a color case hardened BS/TG before. Interested to see it for sure.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:05:16 PM »
In hind sight ... may should have inquired around before plunkin down my nickels and dimes.
BIGTED

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 03:43:10 PM »
I think we need a bit more info than an unfired Colt 1851 Navy before making observations.

I agree with Dave about the CC BS TG. That is something unheard of to me. If I had the money I would have bought it just for the anomaly if I had the pics of it, as in you might have a rare replica. Stranger things have happened.

Pics, please, with all the good stuff like manufacturer, date code, proofs, et al. Can't believe it is a Colt 2nd/3rd/whatever Gen pistol.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 05:10:16 PM »
The silver BS/TG on 2nd Gens will change colors depending on the environment they are in.  I've seen them go from bright polished silver to what could pass as CCH to a deep dark black, with no rhyme or reason from being stored in original boxes, cased sets, or inside an oily rag in the gun safe. I've got a pair of '51 Navies with 5000 rounds or more through them that are kinda washed out CCH looking - lotsa gray and blue with silver overtones; and a pair of '61 Navies that aren't quite as old; but still have 4 or 5000 rounds through them and have the same gray and blue look with a lot more silver.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 09:52:26 AM »
I think we need a bit more info than an unfired Colt 1851 Navy before making observations.

I agree with Dave about the CC BS TG. That is something unheard of to me. If I had the money I would have bought it just for the anomaly if I had the pics of it, as in you might have a rare replica. Stranger things have happened.

Pics, please, with all the good stuff like manufacturer, date code, proofs, et al. Can't believe it is a Colt 2nd/3rd/whatever Gen pistol.

Jim

That is just it. The pics are outta focus. I did kinda jump on as I am curious as to details and at 419 dollars, with that square knuckle busting TG, I really had to have her. I would post his poor pictures but ... till it gets here, it needs to stay between him and me. Pic's will follow tho.

I can barely make out the stamped Colts Patent on the left water table ... I think.
BIGTED

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »
Do you have the serial number?  That'll pretty much nail it.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 04:23:23 PM »
Nope. No serial numbers. Bettin you guys are gettin the idea that I may becoming unhinged eh  (jh
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
Which conversion cylinders work best on the Colts? I know my Pietta 51 works very well with hollow base wad cutters.
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 04:13:49 AM »
Received my lil 51 last nite. Took the poor ol Colt to the work bench to examine.

Been grossly misrepresented as "UNFIRED" . The blue is worn a lot at the muzzle. The wood has been used as a hammer it appears. The trigger guard has been crushed up toward the water table so it is near impossible to incert my trigger finger. Barrel is pitted a bit. All in all, pretty bad condition. Oh and the tg and bs. Are or were silver and very tarnished.

As bad as it is tho ... gonna keep it as it IS a Colt second gen. Seems the action is tight and works well. For some reason it speaks to me and I will not turn it away. Poor thing needs a loving home and it landed in mine to be a caretaker for a spell.

Found 2 old caps in the works and all very gummy but no permanant harm done. Cleaned her up with a brush and WD 40 and all gunk cleaned up well.

Pictures to follow. Just wanted to say ... she is home!
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 04:22:47 AM »
Number 233XX seems to be a '77' man date unless I misread the lines.
BIGTED

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 08:18:22 AM »
Well, they can't all be diamonds. At least it's in a loving home now and you'll bring it back to life. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Bummer about the bent trigger guard. Is it repairable? Or is a new one in order?
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 09:43:46 AM »
A man after my own heart, Ted! I've never turned away a gun yet, and I'm strangely attracted to the abused orphans. I've turned around a number of "throwaway guns" into good, solid, dependable shooters.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
Good deal, Ted.  Sounds like that Colt served as a prop in a Samsonite commercial, the one with the gorilla.  Your loving attention to it and a new TG should set things to right quite well.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 01:36:52 PM »
BIGTED