Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Size matters  (Read 3070 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Size matters
« on: April 05, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »
 (jh I know right?

So I have wondered about the why of WHY I love the 1851, 1860, and the 1861 open top revolvers. I much prefer these to the fairly modern Colt SAA or 1873 single action.

The ease of and comfort in handling these revolvers has been taken for granted in this shooters life rite up till recently. To begin, do this ... take any of the three percussion revolvers and place it side by side with a '73' Colt, Ruger Vaquero or Uberti,Pietta revolver.

The difference jumps rite out and yells at you. The early Colts were and are MUCH smaller and patite right? They yell out PERFECT. The resultant FEEL is unmatched with ANY other revolver both before 1851 or after 1872. These revolvers are perfection personified. Never surpassed and unlikely to ever be.

It is easy to say that the grip frame from the 51 Navy was used on the modern 73 revolvers ... BUT ... that is where any semblance is lost. Nothing ... and I mean NOTHING surpasses the overall feel and balance of the 1851 thru the 1872 revolvers. They became bulkier and unbalanced [ in my humble opinion ], and just different.

Taking nothing away from the 1873, it is just my preference to hold and handle, and shoot, the early models that seem Just Rite to this pilgrim.

Just ramblin. Thought id share a light bulb coming on in my noggin.
BIGTED

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Size matters
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 08:27:28 AM »
I agree 100% Bigted. The Open Tops sit lower in the hand, adding to their inherent pointablity. The SAA feels clumsy in my hand. The bulk of the gun is sticking up in the air, much like carrying around an ice cream cone. I'll take any 1848-1872 Colt over anything else, every time.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 09:55:49 AM »
Hi Ted, if the metallurgy would have allowed, I think that an 1851 in .44 would have been the best Colt ever made. The open tops have a beauty not match by any other handgun. They are also natural pointers. Love them 1851s!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 10:24:28 AM »
I agree with all the above. The '51 Navy is about as good as it gets, with the '60 Army running a close second for those with bigger mitts.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:45:45 AM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
Cap, yep I like those 60's both for the horsepower and the larger grip frame. I really like that the 60 frame and barrel height is the same as the 51's except for the water table being relieved for the slightly larger cylinder front.

No experience with either the dragoons nor the walker but the 51, 61 and 60 all suit me to a tee.
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »
Cap, yep I like those 60's both for the horsepower and the larger grip frame. I really like that the 60 frame and barrel height is the same as the 51's except for the water table being relieved for the slightly larger cylinder front.

No experience with either the dragoons nor the walker but the 51, 61 and 60 all suit me to a tee.

Dragoons are more fun than a barrel of monkeys once you get used to the weight. If that's all you shoot for a while, the Navys feel like toys.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 03:23:02 PM »
The 51 is my favorite too but I'd take a 73 over a 60.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 05:14:12 PM »
Hawg ... try the 51 grip frame on the 60. It is the same frame as the 51 only slightly lighter. Sure you knew this tho but ... a 60 with 51 grip frame and backstrap feels as good as the 51.
BIGTED

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 10:21:02 PM »
Hawg ... try the 51 grip frame on the 60. It is the same frame as the 51 only slightly lighter. Sure you knew this tho but ... a 60 with 51 grip frame and backstrap feels as good as the 51.

I'm sure it does but I no longer have a 60.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.