Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Hewy and Shotgun Dave get a day at the range!  (Read 8324 times)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Hewy and Shotgun Dave get a day at the range!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 07:16:26 PM »
Hang in AlaskaGuy, you da man.  Big ups your way.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 07:43:39 PM »
been crazy here durring harvest.

i been struggling with getting here lately... keep getting to an index page with no forum using old links

There's been a lot od forum upgrades and downgrades happening the last few weeks. Poor Smokey has had a helluva time getting it all on track. You're probably better off not using your old links anymore, and starting over.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 06:13:28 AM »
Weather has finally broke, getting in high 80s day mid 50s nights thats what make Calif perfect.
The shooting range is calling again. L@.
Sold the Remington 8" looking for another Colt. ;)
Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »
Hewy

Get another Colt, by all means.  But you faunna miss dat Rem 8, dog. 

But it’s a done deal and entirely your call, natürlich.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:54:09 PM by G Dog »
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 04:20:01 PM »
Hewy

Get another Colt, by all means.  But you faunna miss dat Rem 8, dog. 

But it’s a done deal and entirely your call, natürlich.

No ain't gonna a miss a thang son. I don't like Remingtons. Thar said it  L@J.  I like COLTS, but do have a Remmy 5 1/2 sporting a 45 Colt conversion.Kinda like after get to hog out the front of grip so it don't knuckle bust me.......
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Online Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 06:16:44 AM »
I don't like Remingtons. Thar said it  L@J.

Why...why...you be PRED-JUDISS! :o

H'ain't nebber seen no Remmy I din't like, jess doan like'm as much as my Colts!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 08:11:01 AM »

No ain't gonna a miss a thang son. I don't like Remingtons. Thar said it  L@J.  I like COLTS, but do have a Remmy 5 1/2 sporting a 45 Colt conversion.Kinda like after get to hog out the front of grip so it don't knuckle bust me.......

Hi Hewy, our own Brad (Yolla Bolly Brad) has come up with a perfectly great solution to Remington knuckle busting. I have a couple of his prototype redesigned Remington 1858 trigger guards. The last I heard is that he has a casting shop prepared to produce that trigger guard for general sale. If you are watching Brad, what is the status of your trigger guard product?

At the risk of committing heresy, IMO the Remington 1858 revolver is the best designed PB revolver for application and strength ever produced. The main attribute for the Colts is their more beautiful appearance.  )l_ )l_

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2019, 08:22:53 AM »

At the risk of committing heresy, IMO the Remington 1858 revolver is the best designed PB revolver for application and strength ever produced. The main attribute for the Colts is their more beautiful appearance.  )l_ )l_

Regards,
Richard

The US Army thought so too, based on experience.....  so not really heresy.....just a fact.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2019, 09:35:06 AM »
Hi Mick, one must be very careful saying anything positive about the 1858 Remington on this message board. Say something positive and they come after you with a rope. I don't mind getting shot, but the idea of a rope has me sweat.  (jh (jh

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2019, 10:07:39 AM »
Hi Mick, one must be very careful saying anything positive about the 1858 Remington on this message board. Say something positive and they come after you with a rope. I don't mind getting shot, but the idea of a rope has me sweat.  (jh (jh

Regards,
Richard

LOL.... well......I can run pretty fast, just not for very long. Sam Colt was definitely a good salesman, better than the rest.....but when he couldn't beat 'em with that, he joined 'em......and the '73 was born.

.................ok...now I'm sweating a little too.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 11:15:49 AM »

Hi Hewy, our own Brad (Yolla Bolly Brad) has come up with a perfectly great solution to Remington knuckle busting. I have a couple of his prototype redesigned Remington 1858 trigger guards. The last I heard is that he has a casting shop prepared to produce that trigger guard for general sale. If you are watching Brad, what is the status of your trigger guard product?

Regards,
Richard
Hi Richard,
                 I got a run of sixty trigger guards from the casting shop but I haven't set up a production machining process yet. I'm also trying to figure out how to polish the outer surfaces in a time efficient manner. It's hunting and vacation season for me now so I got bogged down on the project. Probably will be back on it later in the year.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 01:03:49 PM »

No ain't gonna a miss a thang son. I don't like Remingtons. Thar said it  L@J.

Don’t like Remingtons?  I swan, if that don’t beat all.  But, among 326 million Americans there are probably two or three who don’t like Colts either.

Anyway, I love Colts and I love Remingtons.  Without either type shooting-life would be without form ... and void.  Since I can’t decide on a favorite between Colt and Rem it’s necessary to have a stack of both in each of their lovely iterations (with a Griswold tossed in for good measure).

Practice your intersectional inclusivity boys and try not to hate on me but I’ve decided to come out and just be me: I don’t like Pettengills!  Them turkeys look all hecked-up.  There, I’ve finally said it and feel much better now.

Don’t like Remingtons?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 01:07:09 PM by G Dog »
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 01:38:01 PM »
The US Army thought so too, based on experience.....  so not really heresy.....just a fact.

My first gripe is about the name: 1858 Remington. The originals were the 1863 Remington NMA (.44)/NMN (.36). The replica community adopted the 1858 moniker only because of Beals' patent date of 1858.

The reasons that the US Army went for the Remington were 3-fold: Sam Colt was his own lobbyist with the Government, and Remington did not have viable competitor model for the Colt product until 1860 with the Remington-Beals revolver, which had its warts. Next came the successor 1861 Army/Navy revolver, but it still had its problems. Colt died in 1862, and probably never considered the Remington a real threat to his business. Colt charged the Army a very substantial amount for each of his guns. In 1863, Remington charged the Army considerably less for their revolver, which was very attractive to the bean counters of the day. Then, the Colt factory burned, and Colt's revolver supply dried up significantly.

I agree that the Remington solid top frame was a better design than the Colt open top frame, as evidenced by the Colt 1873 Model P revolver, which landed Colt's widow with large contracts. Remington tried to follow suit with its 1875 model, but still hung on to the somewhat percussion pistol look with a faux rib below the barrel. Remington's offering ended in 1889, while the Colt went on for very much longer.

"The Colt 1860 Army Revolver", Charles W. Pate is my source for most.

Regards,

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 01:43:14 PM »
Nope, don't like Remingtons. I've had several and they just don't suit me. The handle is too small and the gun is too big. It's an ungainly thing. I'm sure that they fit some people perfectly, just not me. I won't begrudge anyone that likes/loves them, I just plain don't.

It's Colt all the way for me.

Let the flaming begin...............

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 02:04:54 PM »
The handle is too small and the gun is too big. It's an ungainly thing. Let the flaming begin...............

LOL, coming from a guy who wants to create a Walker using an ASM 3rd Model Dragoon! But I agree with you 110%.

Consider yourself semi-flamed.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo