Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1851 Navy Commemmorative  (Read 6610 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
1851 Navy Commemmorative
« on: November 07, 2013, 05:42:25 AM »
This is my 1851 Navy Frederic Remington Commemorative Model.   It was commisioned by the New England Collectors Society, which from what I know was active in the '70s and '80s.  Can't seem to find any info on them.   
The gun was made by Uberti in 1987.   It is engraved on the barrel ,cylinder and frame.  The cylinder and barrel are charcoal blued with the frame, loading lever, and hammer in the white.  Brass tigger guard and back strap.  The walnut grips are above average with nice grain.
The engraving on the cylinder depicts a cowboy on a horse copied from Frederic Remington's Painting entitled "The Cowboy"
There is a sister model to this gun which is an 1858 NMA in basically the same set up but is called "The Rattlesnake" and has a Picture of a cowboy on bucking horse that has been spooked by a rattlesnake.   

I am not a big fan of these Commemorative guns but this one I like and would be willing to buy the NMA model to match.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: 1851 Navy Commemmorative
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »
Very nice; both the gun and holster! I had heard of the Remington Rattlesnake but never knew what it was. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »
Mazo,  Here's the link to photos of the "Rattlesnake".   
I think it is owned by Smokin_Gun who as you know is a member of the 1858 forum, and the Black Powder Revolver Collecting Forum.

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,143.0.html

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 04:51:04 AM »
I'm not the guy who has any use for unfired weapons either.  I really don't want anything that should be left unfired in order to hold it's value.  In my opinion the real value in having a weapon includes the ability to use the weapon as intended by the designer.  Sam Colt didn't make guns and expect them to remain unused. 
I don't take this gun to the range but it is not beyond possiblity that I might someday.  It's not really very valuable but is a nice looking design.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 06:04:01 AM »
WOW! I like it!  L@.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 04:44:27 PM »
Believe it or not, I like that better than the Rattlesnake!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »
It is hard to believe that the Author of "Remington Superiority" likes a Colt better than it's Remington couterpart.  I'll take it that you are refering to purely to the physical appearance and not the mechanical aspects.  I like the Colt "Cowboy" model better too,  but I would like to find a "Rattlesnake" model to go with it.  The only one I have run across was way too far gone to pay the price that the owner was asking.

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 03:07:08 PM »

That's a very nice revolver, and the wood grain on the grips is very pretty.  And I like that holster!

)%g
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 03:41:11 PM »
I thought you might Sam.  This one has a sewn in loop on the back with a copper rivet.  More like the early California Slim Jims.
Thanks for the comments.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »
It is hard to believe that the Author of "Remington Superiority" likes a Colt better than it's Remington couterpart.  I'll take it that you are refering to purely to the physical appearance and not the mechanical aspects.  I like the Colt "Cowboy" model better too,  but I would like to find a "Rattlesnake" model to go with it.  The only one I have run across was way too far gone to pay the price that the owner was asking.

Being superior in design and function has nothing to do with the "drool factor" of a truly beautiful firearm.
That gun is drop-dead gorgeous!
Normally I'm not a big fan of engraving. But in this case; well done!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"