Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ordered a new Uberti 1849 Pocket  (Read 50809 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered a new Uberti 1849 Pocket
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 08:27:32 PM »
Ya, you need the smaller shanked wrench for your 1849. Track of the Wolf has them.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/65/1/NW-130

Hi scooby, thank you, I ordered two of them. Since I always remove the nipples for cleaning after shooting, Ballistol works just fine. I bought a can of anti-seize compound, but don't use it because the stuff gets on everything everywhere and makes a mess.

Again, thanks for the info on the nipple wrench.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »
Ya, you need the smaller shanked wrench for your 1849. Track of the Wolf has them.

Hi scooby, thank you, I ordered two of them. Since I always remove the nipples for cleaning after shooting, Ballistol works just fine. I bought a can of anti-seize compound, but don't use it because the stuff gets on everything everywhere and makes a mess.

Regards,
Richard

For what it's worth, I put the Never seize on with a toothpick. Just put the toothpick in the never seize about a quarter to a half inch and sort of wipe it on the bottle mouth leaving just a trace on the pick. Then wipe the threads a bit to put a little on then. Doesn't need to be all around the threads, cause when you screw it in, it works all the way around.  Just what I do. L@.
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 04:10:23 AM »

Regards,
Richard

For what it's worth, I put the Never seize on with a toothpick. Just put the toothpick in the never seize about a quarter to a half inch and sort of wipe it on the bottle mouth leaving just a trace on the pick. Then wipe the threads a bit to put a little on then. Doesn't need to be all around the threads, cause when you screw it in, it works all the way around.  Just what I do. L@.

Hi Kaboom, I have no doubt that anti-seize compound properly applied would do the job, even eliminate the need to remove nipples after each shoot. I am just so clumsy that I get the stuff all over myself, like a bear with a honey jar. The light oil (Ballistol) works for me and allows for easy soap and water cleanup.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 04:17:44 AM »
Hi, my new Uberti 1849 .31 pocket revolver arrived today. My initial impression is mixed. The revolver is tiny, and the exterior fit and finish excellent. The exterior is beautiful. However, the lockworks is stiff and rough. The more I work the action, the smoother it becomes. Uberti specs the cylinder chamber at 0.319", but I measure chambers 0.321-0.322". The nipples are somewhat countersunk in the cylinder and none of my nipple wrenches fit inside the countersunk opening. Does anyone know of a source of nipple wrenches that will fit this Uberti 1849? I won't shoot this revolver until I first get the nipples out and reset them back in with minimal torque.

Today I cast many hundred pure lead 0.33" balls to use in this revolver.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, as I keep working the mechanism of the new .31 Uberti 1849 pocket, the more it's smoothing out. I was ready to chamfer the entrance of the cylinder chambers when I noticed that Uberti already did that, in fact, more than I would have done. It's strange that even the central cylinder arbor hole in the cylinder is chamfered.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 09:10:59 AM »
Hi, I took my new .31 Uberti 1849 apart today and found metal particles in the revolver. I sloshed out the parts in paint thinner, Ballistoled up the parts and put the revolver together again. The action is now nice and smooth. I cast some soft lead bullets using the Lee #90300 mold that casts a 0.311" 93gr bullet. Of course those bullets just fall down into the 0.321-0.322" cylinder chamber, but can't be finger pressure pushed into the barrel rifling. The 32 Cal. 78g RN .313 Laser Cast bullets should arrive any day. I now have 100 .32 S&W brass, but still waiting on the reloading dies.

I'm still enjoying handling that 1848 pocket, it's so cute.

Regards,
Richard

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
You got the revolver on the 5th and still haven't been kind enough to show photos!  HARRUMMPH!

As for the action, the more you cycle it, the smoother it will become to a point.  At some point it will be broken in and nothing will make it feel smoother.  An action job is nothing but accelerated waring in of a revolver.

Enjoy the little Colt.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
You got the revolver on the 5th and still haven't been kind enough to show photos!  HARRUMMPH!

As for the action, the more you cycle it, the smoother it will become to a point.  At some point it will be broken in and nothing will make it feel smoother.  An action job is nothing but accelerated waring in of a revolver.

Enjoy the little Colt.

Hi Strawhat, what can I say, I'm a bum.  *6' *6' *6' There will be pictures if the mailman would cooperate. The photo I'll post should be a stark comparison.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 05:42:27 PM »
How do you find the quality, overall?
While I love my little Baby, the quality overall is that of a piece of dogshit, if you'll pardon my French. Poor tolerances, very soft steel, cheap-ass springs. In fact, right now it won't work. Needs pieces & parts because the cheap junk broke.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 04:42:27 AM »
How do you find the quality, overall?
While I love my little Baby, the quality overall is that of a piece of dogshit, if you'll pardon my French. Poor tolerances, very soft steel, cheap-ass springs. In fact, right now it won't work. Needs pieces & parts because the cheap junk broke.

Hi Captain, if it wasn't for the original stiffness, metal particles in the action, and the grips being a little proud, it seems to have a manufactured quality equal to Pietta. Sorry to learn that you are having problems with yours.

IMO the 1849 is a pure toy. I hope I will be able to find parts for it in the future.

My Taylor .32 S&W conversion cylinder arrived yesterday as did the .32 S&W reloading dies. Adding the conversion cylinder to the 1849 returned the revolver to its original state of stiff and unreliable. Maybe working the action a bit will loosen things up a bit? Hope so.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »

Enjoy the little Colt.

Hi StrawHat, your wish is my command, see:

Are you now wondering about that other "bad boy" in the photo? It's a new Pietta .44 1858 Remington Buffalo that just arrived today. The fit, finish, and smooth action puts the Uberti to shame.

There has been an ongoing debate on which manufacturer of replica revolvers has the highest quality. Based on these two revolvers, Pietta puts Uberti to shame.

Regards,
Richard

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »
Thanks for the photo of the Baby.  As for the other thing, no need to show something like that in public. 
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »
Thanks for the photo of the Baby.  As for the other thing, no need to show something like that in public.

Hi StrawHat, yes indeed, my wife keeps telling me that bigger is always better.  *6' *6' *6'
Leave it to the Italians to invent the Buffalo 1858.

My Laser Cast bullets arrived today. As soon as I get the Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure I can load up some .32 S&W for the Taylor 1849 conversion cylinder. I machined a few new parts for the Tower of Power loading tool (Biglube product) to be able to use the loader with the 1849 cap and ball cylinder. The Tower of Power should provide enough force to load antimony hardened 00-buck (0.33") in the cylinder.

Even though I haven't shot the "baby" yet, it's giving me a lot to do, and fun.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 05:25:39 AM »
Hi, I cast pure lead 0.33" (00-buck) for my .31 Uberti 1849 Pocket, but they are not as round and uniform as the Hornady 00-Buck (0.33") that I bought. The problem with the Hornady ball is that antimony is added as a hardener. That little lever on the 1849 isn't long enough to provide enough force to load those hard 00-buck. I made some jags for my Tower of Powder (Biglube) loading tool. See:

and

That loader should supply enough force to seat 0.33" brass balls in the 0.321" cylinder chamber. LOL I should now be able to use the Hornady 00-buck in the 1849.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »
Hi, well I shot the 1849 today. It was an adventure. Snowing and cold didn't help working through a series of issues. I used ~15gr (by volume) of Black MZ in 4 chambers. The loading lever wouldn't even begin to seat the soft lead 0.33" balls. I needed to use the Tower of Power loading tool. I loaded in 2 soft lead 0.33 balls, then 2 of the Hornady 00-buck (antimony hardened 0.33" ball). The balls were overball lubed using a 50/50 beeswax/olive oil mix. The olive oil used was extra virgin, perfect for an unused revolver? I installed the cylinder in the revolver and then tried to add #10 caps on the nipple. #10 caps wouldn't begin to seat deep enough to allow turning the cylinder in the frame. I then found some #11 caps I had and that did the trick, they fit perfectly. I shot steel from ~50ft and without any particular aiming attention did a ~4" group, ~10" high. I had a cap jam (cap parts falling between the hammer and frame) after my 3rd and 4th shot.

I never would have believed that such a little pipsqueak revolver would be so much trouble.

Now on to do some .32 S&W loaded for the conversion cylinder.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 12:41:10 PM »

Regards,
Richard

Hi scooby, I received the Track of the Wolf nipple wrenches you identified, they work perfectly. The nipple wrench tip is thin and thank goodness that Brunhilda the Hun that uses a 100 ft-lb torque wrench didn't install them. Maybe they hired Pietta's Tiny Tina to install the nipples?

The only issue I have for the nipples that are on the Uberti 1849 Pocket is that they use #11 caps. #10 won't go on far enough and lock up the cylinder to the revolver frame. I determined that the threads of the nipples are 12-28. I wonder if I can get 12-28 nipples that are the same length as the originals, but can take #10 caps?

Thank you for solving my nipple removal issue for me.

Regards,
Richard