Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ordered a new Uberti 1849 Pocket  (Read 50800 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered a new Uberti 1849 Pocket
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »
you may want to try a different brand of cap.  I rarely suffer cap jams in mine.

Hi Dave, I have already tried CCI #11 and Remington #10's. I have some Remington #11s that I will try, but I'm not holding my breath. Both my 1949 Pocket and Wells Fargo have shown themselves to be terrible cap suckers.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2014, 04:01:08 AM »
theres a guy named 45Dragoon that fits a cap jam stopper into the channel sos it doesn't suck caps, as well as a few other magic tricks.  I can get you his email if you are interested.
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2014, 04:18:09 AM »
If necessary, you can install a pin in the hammer channel to keep the caps from coming back into the action.  Once the pin is installed, the slot in the hammer needs to be enlarged and depened, to clear the pin, yet still hold on the cylinder safety pins.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2014, 04:38:42 AM »
theres a guy named 45Dragoon that fits a cap jam stopper into the channel sos it doesn't suck caps, as well as a few other magic tricks.  I can get you his email if you are interested.

Hi Dave and StrawHat, I'm not going to do anything that modifies the Pockets. Other than try the Remington #11 caps, nothing more will be done to use cap and ball. I do not intend on investing in more cap and ball cylinders for them. The Pocket extra cylinders are much too expensive. Unless I can preload at least 6 cap and ball cylinders, shooting and cleanup isn't worth the effort. I have 10 1858 and 8 1851/1860 extra cylinders that makes for an enjoyable couple of hours shooting.  Since the 32 S&W conversion cylinders work so well and simplifies cleanup, that's how I will use the Pocket revolvers.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »
I can understand that.  Ifn I had a steel frame, and the budget to fit in a couple conversion cylinders, I believe i would use it exactly as you intend to.
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2014, 10:25:36 PM »
Yeah, Colts are capsuckers, Bring an extra gun. That's what I do....
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"