Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Original Colt Wedge Question  (Read 2708 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Original Colt Wedge Question
« on: May 02, 2020, 03:53:43 PM »
OK, I did not know where to put this on the forum, so here goes:

I know I have read somewhere that Sam Colt advocated seating the wedge with some force (greater than finger/thumb pressure) in his instructions, supposedly with each revolver sold.

I would like to verify this and if someone has a photo of those instructions it would be very much appreciated.

Any help?

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Original Colt Wedge Question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 04:53:06 PM »
It says to drive it out but doesn't say anything about driving it in. I guess you could assume if it was to be driven out it should be driven in.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 05:32:06 AM »
It says to drive it out but doesn't say anything about driving it in. I guess you could assume if it was to be driven out it should be driven in.

Thanks!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 06:55:31 AM »
Jim, I saw your post on the Muzzleloading forum, so was interested in this also. I haven't been active on that forum since the good Captain invited me over to these forums, but get updates from there by email.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 06:05:22 PM »
Jim, I saw your post on the Muzzleloading forum, so was interested in this also. I haven't been active on that forum since the good Captain invited me over to these forums, but get updates from there by email.

Good to see some folks get around! Appreciate your interest. There are some folks there that think they are above the fray. It is what it is.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Jim

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 08:54:57 PM »

Yes, Hawg is correct.
  Under "Direction's for cleaning",  it says to " drive out" the key (wedge).

It also says to "take out the nipples (doesn't say to put them back in)
It says to wash the cylinder .  .  .  it says to wash the barrel .  .  .   dry them and oil them .  .  .  it never says to " reinstall the nipples"  and "re-assemble" the cylinder and barrel to the frame.
  In that time period, you didn't have to  s-p-e-l-l everything out . . . a bunch of clean but unassembled parts wouldn't function as a revolver.   Last step, "drive in"  the key (wedge) .  .  . 

Mike