Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Noobie from the Great White North  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Noobie from the Great White North
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 05:12:58 PM »
On second glance, your .36 Navy appears to be a 5 shot "pocket" model. I'd love to see some close-up shots of the marking, maker's marks and other details.

Fingers...care to weigh in on these?

Boy, I dont know how i  missed this.thread.  I'd be real interested in seeing the markings on both of them.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 05:09:52 PM »
On second glance, your .36 Navy appears to be a 5 shot "pocket" model. I'd love to see some close-up shots of the marking, maker's marks and other details.

Fingers...care to weigh in on these?

Boy, I dont know how i  missed this.thread.  I'd be real interested in seeing the markings on both of them.

The small one arrived today, I can confirm it's a 5 shot and .31 calibre. It indexes fine and locks up tight , I cannot get over how small it is. I took a bunch of pics of anything resembling a marking which I will post here - I did not completely dismantle it but so far I cannot find anything resembling a makers mark. The cylinder engraving is a stage coach robbery scene.

Can anyone point me in the direction of step by step instructions on how to disassemble and re-assemble?

Thanks,
Retreever

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2020, 05:24:56 PM »

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2020, 06:50:20 PM »
Per your previous description with the tag that states it is a "Navy Arms" revolver, as well as your subsequent photos, the date code XX8 is 1972 and there are no "Navy Arms" stamps, which would be obvious. I would lean toward it being an ASM or an ASP manufactured revolver but that is a guess.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 08:07:40 PM »
Seems to me, it was ASM that made the brass frame pocket models. It looks like it's in pretty good shape for it's age.

As for disassembly/reassembly, that's fairly straight forward.

remove the barrel assembly and slide the cylinder off. Then remove the 3 screws holding the backstrap and grip on, and remove it. Then loosen the mainspring screw and move the spring off the hammer. Next remove the 3 screws holding the trigger guard on and remove it. Now remove the small screw holding the trigger/bolt screw and remove the spring.

On the outside of the frame, remove the screw for the trigger and remove the trigger. Then do the same for the bolt. Next remove the hammer screw and slide the hammer out the bottom of the frame, along with the attached hand and spring. You now have a completely disassembled revolver.

Reassembly is in the reverse order.

Hope that helps!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2020, 10:49:17 AM »
Per your previous description with the tag that states it is a "Navy Arms" revolver, as well as your subsequent photos, the date code XX8 is 1972 and there are no "Navy Arms" stamps, which would be obvious. I would lean toward it being an ASM or an ASP manufactured revolver but that is a guess.

Jim

Thanks Jim, only references I can find on the Internets to anything similar in that time frame has been ASM.

Retreever

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 10:51:24 AM »
Seems to me, it was ASM that made the brass frame pocket models. It looks like it's in pretty good shape for it's age.

As for disassembly/reassembly, that's fairly straight forward.

remove the barrel assembly and slide the cylinder off. Then remove the 3 screws holding the backstrap and grip on, and remove it. Then loosen the mainspring screw and move the spring off the hammer. Next remove the 3 screws holding the trigger guard on and remove it. Now remove the small screw holding the trigger/bolt screw and remove the spring.

On the outside of the frame, remove the screw for the trigger and remove the trigger. Then do the same for the bolt. Next remove the hammer screw and slide the hammer out the bottom of the frame, along with the attached hand and spring. You now have a completely disassembled revolver.

Reassembly is in the reverse order.

Hope that helps!

Thanks ShotgunDave, it does indeed help. Similarly only references I can find on the Internets for this gun seems to indicate ASM (Armi San Marcos)

Retreever

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »
Update - took the Baby Dragoon to the range this morning just to see if it would fire - loaded up 5 x #10 caps they all went bang and no jams. I need to find some bullets next.

Once thing to note had to seat the caps with a stick in order to clear cylinder rotation, might try #11's next time.

Retreever

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 11:46:02 AM »
There are a couple threads on the collecting forum about  .31 Cal revolvers

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,34.msg95.html#msg95

and:

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php?action=search2

ASM was the only maker of brass framed Pocket Models.  And there were a bunch of variations.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2020, 12:04:05 PM »
There are a couple threads on the collecting forum about  .31 Cal revolvers

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,34.msg95.html#msg95

and:

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php?action=search2

ASM was the only maker of brass framed Pocket Models.  And there were a bunch of variations.

Thanks Fingers, I was able to see the first link but I guess you have to be a member of the Collectors forum if you want to see the 2nd one. The info in the first link was very interesting and helpful.

Retreever

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2020, 12:42:57 PM »
Went to the range.  Fired five caps.  You're kidding, right?
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2020, 12:46:29 PM »

Went to the range.  Fired five caps.  You're kidding, right?

(7+" Well no that wasn't the reason I went to the range. I recently installed a scope on my 1871 Buffalo Classic 45-70 , first time in my life I ever had a gun with a scope. That was the primary reason for going to test some adjustments to the scope and rifle setup.  ($!

Retreever