Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ordered a new Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo  (Read 13187 times)

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered a new Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »
Good idea.  The article talked about installing a brass spacer on a pin by drilling a hole in the front of the arbor and filing the brass spacer to fit.  But I'm not too keen on drilling the arbor, cause I chust might get it off center (center punch or not).  Think I'll get a small piece of brass shim-stock and cut a piece to fit.  Then soft solder shouldn't be a problem.  Thanks, I like it.  Good karma for the idea. L@.
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »

Good karma for the idea. L@.

Hi Kaboom, you sure know how to hurt a guy.  *6' *6' *6'

I'll see your Karma and up you one.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 09:11:26 AM »
Good idea.  The article talked about installing a brass spacer on a pin by drilling a hole in the front of the arbor and filing the brass spacer to fit.  But I'm not too keen on drilling the arbor, cause I chust might get it off center (center punch or not).  Think I'll get a small piece of brass shim-stock and cut a piece to fit.  Then soft solder shouldn't be a problem.  Thanks, I like it.  Good karma for the idea. L@.

Hi Kaboom, after all the discussion about arbor length I went and looked at my two 1860 and 1851 Pietta's (purchased in 2012-13). The arbor length is perfect in all three revolvers. The quality of the Pietta revolvers really impresses me, much different than the Italian replicas of 30yrs ago. The only issue I had with the first Pietta 1860 was that the bolt width was too wide for the cylinder slots. Fitting the bolt width to the correct size was an easy fix.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 05:04:40 PM »
Instead of purchasing some shim stock, I found a buggered up 223 case at the range that couldn't be used, so I FLATTENED it, and cut a piece off. Just a bit bigger than needed, so I soldered it on and, of course, when I filed it to shape, the top layer came off (nothing holding it no mo). Worked out just right. Now the length of the arbor is as close to perfect as I can get. Now I just need to take it to the range and see if that lowered the point of impact any.  Here's hoping. (At least the fit is better and the wedge fits much better now.)   L@.
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »
That has been my same experience with the arbors on the later Piettas Richard. As well, the finish on the bolt legs and the hand are crisp and clean instead of rough as a cob. The cnc machinery also allows for smoother channels and recesses inside the frame and there are no longer so many left over buurs.

I have also found the width of the bolt to be too wide for the cylinder notches on several examples, but agree that it is an easy fix.

I still prefer the exterior fit and finish and the shape of the grip and back strap of the Uberti over the Pietta but that is just a personal whim. I currently own and shoot seven different Piettas and coming from a guy that would not own one in the past do to quality control issues says something about their efforts to make a better revolver.
One of the things I do when I 'work' a gun is to file, smooth and polish every bit I can find, including the internal channel for the hand and the hammer slot. The difference, while invisible from the outside, is immediately apparent. I pay special attention to the hammer and trigger sear surfaces, making them like polished glass with no sharp edges, and the bearing surface on the mainspring (for the hammer roller). Slick everything up with white lithium grease, and you take a 'hunnert-dolla-junker' and turn it into a diamond in the rough. For what it's worth, brassers respond to this treatment even better than steelies; polished brass frame internals slip like Teflon when greased up with WLG.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"