Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Stuff from the garden  (Read 2604 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Stuff from the garden
« on: August 26, 2020, 11:59:03 AM »
Our garden is smaller this year; actually we weren't going to have one! But the pandemic helped change our minds. This is just some of the things harvested in the last few days. Broccoli, Kohlrabi, Bell peppers are in the 'fridge.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Stuff from the garden
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »
A variety of tomatoes!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 12:07:36 PM »
Nice harvest Em!

Them maters look good!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 12:15:29 PM »
All we did this year was onions and tomatoes. We could barely find seedlings anywhere.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 12:32:02 PM »
There is a Realtor in our Township that has a small hobby-type green house and sells seedlings in 4-packs  in the spring. He harvests the veggies from the ones that didn't sell and offers them later on.

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 10:10:24 PM »
I planted 35 hills of Irish potatoes in a raised bed alongside another bed with 12 Beauregard sweet potato plants.  I got about 75 pounds of the Irish, and have been letting the sweets stay in the ground.  The rabbits and the deer have really been eating the leaves badly, though.  Last week I planted three bags of each from eyes and rooted cuttings from the first batch.  If we don't get too early of a frost here in Hotlanta I may get some from the bags, too.  GF

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 06:29:27 AM »
cant grow tomato's at all around here. and i miss them. only a greenhouse here as they wont generally set fruit. its just too cool.. same with the cucumbers... i have given up on them till I can get a greenhouse together.
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 11:43:07 AM »
I remember when I was a kid I would help my Gram cut out potato eyes for planting. We tried that here a couple of times, but they didn't produce well.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 12:09:06 PM »
Mark,

For many years when I lived in Los Anchorage I grew many varieties in a 8' x 8' greenhouse that I built. It had a vent fan and a oil-filled electric space heater, each on their own T-stats. Dedicated solely for tomato production as the expensive "plastic" tomatoes sold in the grocery stores were tasteless junk. In the garage I had a 3-tier plant-starting setup on casters with 2 4' double lamp fluorescent fixtures for each tier wired into one timer. Started the plants from seed in 4" peat pots in mid-late April and they were ready to be transplanted in 5-gallon plastic containers with wire cages around Memorial Day. First frost was usually around Labor Day and all of the fruit would usually be harvested in the following week. I would make fried green tomatoes from the harder green ones.

If you go the small greenhouse route, pick only determinate varieties. My first year at it I had some indeterminate cherry variety and constantly had to prune those plants.

Em,

I like the looks of those with the greenish shoulders; I grew a similar-looking variety and the flesh was reddish/purplish color with a very good taste. It was called Cherokee Purple from Territorial Seed Co. in Oregon. An indeterminate, I only had one plant each year and had to prune it every other day.

Regards,

Jim
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:11:08 PM by sourdough »
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 02:01:17 PM »
Those are an heirloom variety....Brandywine and they are sweet, and oh so tasty!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 05:26:27 PM »
Those are an heirloom variety....Brandywine and they are sweet, and oh so tasty!

As is the Cherokee Purple. I experimentally grew several heirloom varieties: they were pretty good, but after a few years I decided to grow modern hybrid tomatoes for better production. For mid-Summer I grew Early Girl, but Mama did not like all the gel. For late-Summer tomatoes I grew beefsteak tomatoes: the one I concentrated upon was Goliath. Beefsteak tomatoes use up a lot of fertilizer (I used seaweed extract and a cow manure solution) and my best Goliath came in at 3.5#, and that is in Alaska.

When I moved to WA State 13 years ago I grew tomatoes for about 4 years in containers (cherries) and in the garden with beefsteaks. With the air moisture and heat variations here in Western WA they were subject to blossom end rot and I pretty much gave up as the folks in Eastern WA grow very good tomatoes for cheap.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I now grow grass hay and oats which do very well.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 06:25:48 PM »
I didn't get to do a garden this year but God willing I will next year.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 08:58:53 AM »
Hawg, we hope you can get a garden in. As I said, we didn't plan on having a garden this year and we have had one every year for the 30 years we have lived here. The brunt of the work falls on my wife...planting, weeding and harvesting, as my arthritic back doesn't like much bending or twisting. I DO help with the consuming of the produce though!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
Me too. I used to have a small garden every year. I have to come up with a cheap tiller first tho.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »
We wore out our first roto-tiller, bought a new Husqvarna to replace it (are you looking Len?).