Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New Fella from Florida  (Read 4088 times)

Offline MysteriousSmith

• View Profile
Re: New Fella from Florida
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 05:38:35 PM »
Hi there, I'm glad you took up Sourdough Jim's invitation! Looking forward to seeing/hearing more from you. As an aside....when I was a kid there was a western movie titled "Whispering Smith", still remember the title, not a whole lot of the movie.

That’s a good name too, I gotta check it out. I took my handle from a old advertising broadside that I found. It’s quite large promoting a SENSATIONAL COFFIN ESCAPE for an early 20th Century magician named MYSTERIOUS SMITH. Best as I can find, he was a small and refined Frenchman doing a traveling show in the Midwest.  Not much in the history books but I have the cool poster framed!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 07:45:27 PM »
Historically, there was a Mysterious Dave (Mather). His story is quite interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysterious_Dave_Mather
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline MysteriousSmith

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 06:34:34 AM »
Hey sourdough, that’s some story.  A Yankee gunslinger becomes a repeat-lawman between committing crimes and running dancehalls and a brothel? A few murders, too. Different times for sure.  Thanks for sharing!

Mysterious Smith - the Continental-mannered Frenchman - lived in Cedar Rapids and was known for his grand illusions show. He took the name “Smith” as it impressed him as being typically “American.”  His wife did a mind-reading act as Madame Olga. He quit performing in 1932 due to health issues after moving to Warrenville, IL. All else is lost to history.

Offline Pustic

• KM4JZJ Extra Class / WRPR990 GMRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 11:04:28 AM »
I’m in St. Petersburg. If you lived in Lakeland, you know it’s a short drive from I-4; a very uncivilized road! Mmm, it’s actually Florida drivers.
I always liked going to St. Pete, but I didn't like I-4. Is the giant Confederate flag still flying on I-4 near Tampa?
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.