Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Round ball flask  (Read 3293 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Round ball flask
« on: November 05, 2020, 03:37:51 PM »
I hinted at this project on my other post. I wanted a molded leather flask to hold lead balls, that I could easily carry around at the range. Here is the result.

I started out by wet molding the leather around an old glass whiskey flask of my grandfathers. It had the perfect shape to fit in my hip pocket.

Here it is after the leather has dried. Not much to look at at this point.

After some cutting, stitching and dying, here's how it turned out.

I used a homemade black dye called "Vinegaroon". It was taught to me by our very own Marshal Will, how to make it. It works fantastic and there's no mess. And its the deepest black I've seen. Thanks for the lessons Marshal!

As for the stopper, I used a hunk of an old mule deer antler I had laying around, and secured it with a leather thong. The thong does two jobs. It keeps the stopper from disappearing and it also keeps it from sliding into the flask.

The flask holds 150 .44 cal lead balls. And it fits perfectly in my back pocket. I'd probably not put that many in it to go to the range though. I'd need suspenders to hold my breeches up!

My wet molding skills, and leather skills in general aren't up to the level of the professionals we have around here. But I'm getting better and learning something with each project I tackle. Plus, I'm making useful objects and having fun doing it!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Round ball flask
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 04:19:34 PM »
I think you are too modest. That turned out great!

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »
Outstanding, Dave! Beautiful work. It's a cool design and certainly a functional one. I like the antler you used for the stopper, too. Very, very cool. Congrats on the vinegaroon. I'll bet you're a convert,now. It only took me one item to become one.

Now, 150 of those .44's in your pocket. Does sound a bit questionable. Maybe you need a pocket sized pocket flask you can carry in your pocket without running your britches down around your ankles. OR, another one for the other pocket to balance things out or speed the process.  &\?

Maybe a flask holder like those ones for powder flasks that go on your gun belt?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 06:24:38 PM »
Dave, that looks utterly amazing! You don't give yourself near enough credit. And I love the vinegaroon. Looks great!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 07:57:10 PM »
Thank you very much gentlemen. It's much appreciated. I try to learn something every time I make a new project.

Damn nice job Dave!!!!!!

I ruined my camera a few months ago, so I have not been able to take pics, but I finally got a new one this week. It is a fancy one and I have to figure out how to work it tomorrow. When/if I do, I will post a few pics of two leather covered flask sized bottles that I did to carry rum on my woods runs. You will like them and they look cool. Bet you end up doing one yourself just to have a unique pocket flask.

I'd love to see those leather covered flasks Steve! I will eventually make one for this flask of my grandfathers. It had one originally, but it finally fell apart. I don't want the glass to break, so I'll get another one made for it.

Outstanding, Dave! Beautiful work. It's a cool design and certainly a functional one. I like the antler you used for the stopper, too. Very, very cool. Congrats on the vinegaroon. I'll bet you're a convert,now. It only took me one item to become one.

Now, 150 of those .44's in your pocket. Does sound a bit questionable. Maybe you need a pocket sized pocket flask you can carry in your pocket without running your britches down around your ankles. OR, another one for the other pocket to balance things out or speed the process.  &\?

Maybe a flask holder like those ones for powder flasks that go on your gun belt?

You have helped me tremendously with my leatherwork Marshal. Thanks again for the help and mentoring.

A flask holder for the belt. Hmmm...........I feel another project coming on!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:00:52 PM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 05:09:05 AM »
+1 on what Scooby said... ^^^^^^^^

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 07:03:21 AM »
True words spoken here. Your skills are up to any task. What you may not have in experience, you make up for with your 'can do' attitude and natural ability. When faced with a task, you figure out a way to get the job done. This shows in both your leather work and your metal working ability. It probably shows in all aspects of your life, too.

So, as already said here, don't sell yourself short. You are already good at leather working.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 07:23:10 AM »
I can only nod in approval to the truth these gents have already stated.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 08:58:50 AM »
I am very humbled by everyone's words.

I'm proud to call you all my friends, and stand among you.

Thank you all very much.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 12:54:40 PM »
I have known about the vinegaroon dye for some time but have never made or used it. Did you prep the leather before using the dye? The reason I ask is that there was a discussion on Americanlongrifles.org some time ago with differing results.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 01:05:41 PM »
I've never prepped leather with anything before applying vinegaroon but I only work with good quality saddle/bridle leather. Some leather tanning processes don't leave any tannic acid in the leather, like chrome tanning. Those would need to be treated with strong tea to put tannins in it for the vinegaroon to act on.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 05:05:24 PM »
Great job Dave.  +2 to previous kudos.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 05:07:50 PM »
That is exactly what people were saying... use good leather!

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 08:38:24 PM »
holy moly dave.... real nice work...
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 09:05:13 PM »
I have known about the vinegaroon dye for some time but have never made or used it. Did you prep the leather before using the dye? The reason I ask is that there was a discussion on Americanlongrifles.org some time ago with differing results.

I didn't do any kind of prep Em. I too use quality veg tanned leather. Vinegaroon is really easy to make and it works instantly. In fact, it makes itself. Just put a clean ball of steel wool into a bottle of vinegar. In a few days, you'll have vinegaroon.
-Abe Lincoln