Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: So where did all the new guns go?  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
So where did all the new guns go?
« on: June 04, 2021, 06:29:49 PM »
I can almost understand the general ammunition shortage, but it appears that our little obsession has been hit as well ... percussion caps , powder , and apparently new Navies and Army revolvers seem harder to find , or is it just me?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: So where did all the new guns go?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 06:35:33 PM »
Italy (where a lot of this stuff is manufactured) was shut down completely for months.   As soon as they reopened another surge shut them down again.    Factories just haven't made much for a year.     I wonder if firearms with 2020 date codes will be scarce and become collectable.

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 07:11:32 PM »
Mike
I believe you are absolutely correct, I just checked Italys numbers on line..and I guess I just didn't appreciate how shut down Italy had been, but then again here in Florida we were never really all that closed down, so my appreciation of the reality  of hard shutdowns was a bit lacking ...

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 08:16:16 PM »
I did a little further checking and according to an article on "Lone Star outdoor news"..(I think that was the name)Pietta is apparently back up and manufacturing now...I would guess by the fall we'll see the effects of that?

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 08:58:32 PM »
My recent purchase of an 1860 3" snub has 2021 stamped on the barrel and the box on the frame has a 21 in it.  Got it a month ago.  GF

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 08:58:55 PM »
I hope so.   The Italians are notoriously slow even when things are normal.   I have a feeling it will be a slow recovery for them.