Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What do you do...?  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
What do you do...?
« on: September 21, 2021, 10:52:27 AM »
What do you other BPP ("black powder people") do in these trying times to keep the flame alive?
We have tons of off-topic threads showing what else you do to enjoy yourself; cooking, cars, motorcycle, music, etc...but the current state of the union has put many restrictions on our shooting activities. For example, many ranges are under restrictions or reduced hours due to covid. Shooting and reloading supplies are extremely limited, if not impossible to get. Prices are up. Gasoline prices to get to your favorite shooting area or range are up. Many are unemployed or under-employed due to covid. Some of you on the west coast aren't able to shoot due to BLM closings for wildfire restrictions. I've heard many lament that they haven't shot BP in over a year or more. Guns tend to stay locked up and minds drift to the here and now. So, what do you do to keep the embers burning in troubled times like these?

For me, the things that keep the flame lit are;

1) Reloading. Whether it's loading ammo, cleaning and prepping brass, casting, etc, handling ammo and components helps keep my head in the game. Even if I don't have the components to reload a particular caliber, prepping fired brass to look as good or better than new is a never ending task. And it keeps me thinking about my shooting hobby.

2) Cleaning and oiling my guns. Whether or not they are being used, guns need constant attention to prevent rust and corrosion from getting a foot in the door. I usually rotate trying to clean and oil one gun a week to stay ahead of the curve.

3) Air Guns. As was mentioned in some recent threads, even if you can't get to the range, shooting an airgun can be a great way to stay in the game. This ain't your father's "Red Ryder" anymore, folks. Some amazing equipment out there!

4) Cataloguing your collection. It never hurts to document your make, model serial number and take photos of your guns. In the event of fire or theft, this info will be invaluable when making insurance claims or police reports. Plus, it's another reason to handle your guns!

5) Last but not least, logging on to your favorite BP forum is a way to keep the lights on and shining brightly. (hint, hint)

So, what do you guys do that I haven't thought of?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• View Profile
Re: What do you do...?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 11:13:51 AM »
Classanr gave me a bag of "plastic boolits". They can be fired with just a cap, but I load 1 or 2 grains of BP under them and shoot in the garage when the weather outside is appalling. Just make sure the door and windows are open. For a target I use 2" Styrofoam blocks. The "boolits" drill nice wholes all trough. Great fun at low cost and the old iron doesn't feel neglected. And you can use them over and over again (which would please the green morons).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:24:05 AM by Len »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 11:32:28 AM »
Love the idea, Len! Is it loud enough to alert next door neighbors? While I have a decent sized back yard, I do have neighbors on either side of me, probably 20 feet between property lines.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 11:34:40 AM »
Like you Capt, I reload (although not as much as you do) and I take the guns out and clean and oil them up a lot. I also do my leatherwork, which gets me handling them a bit more. I'm one of the "west coasters" you mention, that is pretty much locked out of public land due to the fire danger. And there isn't an indoor range around that will let you shoot BP. We have 2 Gun Clubs that are pretty local, but they have a 2+ year waiting list to join, and a steep membership fee.

There is another option that I haven't looked into yet, but I'm going to. It's another outdoor range that seems to have reasonable prices.

Might try to get up there if time permits. I have two Goonerized guns, that I have yet to shoot. It's driving me nuts.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 11:44:43 AM »
Love the idea, Len! Is it loud enough to alert next door neighbors? While I have a decent sized back yard, I do have neighbors on either side of me, probably 20 feet between property lines.

Not very loud. You might tell your loving neighbors that your Harley need to be addressed as to its miss firings ???

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 12:03:06 PM »
I wouldn't imagine 1-2gr of 3F would be much louder than the cap itself. That being said, a cap in a closed area (like a garage) can be quite loud, and then there's the whole "do I wanna waste my unobtanium caps on a plastic boolit?" thing... :free-confused-smileys-718:

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 12:54:00 PM »
Post deleted by Len himself.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:23:46 AM by Len »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 12:57:48 PM »
Problem is, I live within city limits. Anyone who gets a burr under his or her saddle can get you arrested, as "discharge of a firearm within city limits" is a violation of municipal laws.
Yeah, it sucks.  :rain-035:

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 01:06:22 PM »
I wouldn't imagine 1-2gr of 3F would be much louder than the cap itself. That being said, a cap in a closed area (like a garage) can be quite loud, and then there's the whole "do I wanna waste my unobtanium caps on a plastic boolit?" thing... :free-confused-smileys-718:
Com'on man (as you nowadays say in the US). It's loud in the garage, but not outside. It all boils down to if a guy is gonna shoot or if a guy is gonna cave in to some ***** neighbors.
I'm rather amazed that the Yankees cannot exercise their constitutional rights. Over here we are rather humstrung, but we're still able to go shooting. I can talk to my neighbors and ask if it is OK that I shoot at hours that they would find acceptable. No one objected. One lady said "I don't give a shit", another said "Great, shoot as much as you can, it will keep the riff raff away". Some guys came over and wanted to try BP.
Try it!

Len,   As you said, "over here"? Are you in England? How's the weather?  *6' Sounds fine over there, as in, ....you can shoot pretty regular. that's real nice man.  L@.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 01:11:26 PM »
Problem is, I live within city limits. Anyone who gets a burr under his or her saddle can get you arrested, as "discharge of a firearm within city limits" is a violation of municipal laws.

Same here. I live on the edge of the city limits but there's too many neighbors around even though there's nothing behind me. I'm sure I'd hear about it if I did any shooting at all. I miss living in the country where I could just go outside and shoot in almost any direction.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 01:22:52 PM »
Sorry Capt'n , I didn't know you're within city limits.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 01:26:06 PM »
2) Cleaning and oiling my guns. Whether or not they are being used, guns need constant attention to prevent rust and corrosion from getting a foot in the door. I usually rotate trying to clean and oil one gun a week to stay ahead of the curve.

Capt. I enjoy number 2...errrr...I mean the number 2. that you wrote.....  uh well...the former isn't bad either come to think of it.  (7+"
I'm enjoying this process. I also love the smell of Ballistol. Just cleaning is fun for me at the moment. Something nice about focusing on one little project
and blocking out all the other stuff we humans get inundated with on a daily basis. So there ya go.  )lI

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 01:33:27 PM »
 Len,   As you said, "over here"? Are you in England? How's the weather?  *6' Sounds fine over there, as in, ....you can shoot pretty regular. that's real nice man.  L@.
[/quote]
Hi Zulch,
in my case "over here" means a small Godforsaken country called Sweden on the Scandinavian penisular in northern Europe. Weather is as expected on the 60ieth latitude.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:25:55 AM by Len »

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 01:49:35 PM »
Capt'n, I had a list of inventory on an old computer, now long gone. I wish I had downloaded the list before getting rid of the computer. I do keep a 3X5 card file with each gun recorded as to cost, date of purchase, serial number, other features, etc. The same could be done with reloading dies, bullet moulds, etc. Once up-to-date, the list would be quick and easy to change. Hmmmm.....

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 02:38:35 PM »
Com'on man (as you nowadays say in the US). It's loud in the garage, but not outside. It all boils down to if a guy is gonna shoot or if a guy is gonna cave in to some ***** neighbors.
I'm rather amazed that the Yankees cannot exercise their constitutional rights. Over here we are rather humstrung, but we're still able to go shooting. I can talk to my neighbors and ask if it is OK that I shoot at hours that they would find acceptable. No one objected. One lady said "I don't give a shit", another said "Great, shoot as much as you can, it will keep the riff raff away". Some guys came over and wanted to try BP.
Try it!

Hi Zulch,
in my case "over here" means a small Godforsaken country called Sweden on the Scandinavian penisular in northern Europe. Weather is as expected on the 60ieth latitude.
Ahhhhh. Interesting. I have a friend who lives in Motala. From Kinna Originally. He makes it sound like you guys can’t do anything over there? He’s not into black powder but swears the old king is a nutcase? I would love to visit one day👍 He told me Abba is releasing a new album? Tim