Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: I am impressed!!  (Read 5866 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
I am impressed!!
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:59:26 AM »
Hi, I don't impress easily, but I have to report that the holsters Mike makes are truly first rate!

This is a Mike's Saturday Night Special that he made for my 1849 Pocket revolvers, see:

The holster is lined and it perfectly fits both my 1849 Colt Pocket and Wells Fargo. I expected the holster to be nice, but it's outstanding.

Over the years I have purchased a lot of crap leather holsters. That's now over, Mike will be my goto man for leather products. Mike is a member of this message board and you can contact him here:

www.LeathersmithMike.com

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
Re: I am impressed!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »
Beautiful! Mike made a knife sheath for me he called the plain jane all I can say is Wow!!

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »

Yup, I've bought two rigs from Mike and I am here to testify that his work is excellent and reasonable.  You better get to him before he gets famous.   :)
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:39:37 AM »
I still have to make a decent holster for my wells fargo.  I stuff it into a little slim jim type deal I made with some leather remnant pieces, it works, carrys close to the belt, I made it strong side, but carry it just to the left of my buckle, so it rides straight and conceals better, and draw with my right.  This holster is never seen unless it's needed, as i wear it concealed.  Yeah, i'm that crazy guy who actually totes these things for protection, lol! I've gotten so use to cross draws that I started using left hand holsters for my strong side and doing a cavalry draw when i wear a actual gun belt
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 09:18:36 AM »
Mighty fine looking bit of holster making there Richard.  Mike did a fine job, hell, I have yet to see anything coming off his bench that didn't look great. ;)

Adding a lining to holsters is a great way to make them wear like iron.  It also helps to protect your firearm over the years better than unlined ones do.
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 12:39:24 PM »
Hey, a question for you more experienced leather workers....when you line a holster, are you still able to wet-mold the holster?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 02:29:16 PM »
Usually Yes.  The ony time you wouldn't be able to mold the holster would be if it is lined with chrome-tanned leather or something like that that will not take a shape no matter what you do to it.   If the shell is made of Veg-Tan and the liner is light chrome-tan then the heavier outer shell will force the liner to keep some shape.  Always be sure the liner is cemented to the shell with a good waterproof cement before attempting to wet mold lined pieces.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:08:05 PM »
Now if it was black, cross draw, still lined, and fit a 5.5" barrel I'd buy it. Of course I'd want it to look more like a slim jim with a separate belt loop and no border stamping but other than that it's perfect

Seriously that is a hell of a bargin for the price and looks better than many I've seen for more
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 04:27:37 AM »
Now if it was black, cross draw, still lined, and fit a 5.5" barrel I'd buy it. Of course I'd want it to look more like a slim jim with a separate belt loop and no border stamping but other than that it's perfect

Seriously that is a hell of a bargin for the price and looks better than many I've seen for more

Hi jaxenro, IMO Mike will make you a custom holster with exactly everything you would want. However, I don't think that a holster with an installed revolver is one of those options, but I'm not sure.  ;D ;D

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 05:45:53 PM »
I have 5 of the 36 pockets so I can fill them - I need to contact him soon
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com