Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Resurrecting a Pietta 1851  (Read 9237 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Resurrecting a Pietta 1851
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:42:50 PM »
A while back I bought a collection of 1851 Navy parts from a co-worker. He was going to "refinish it" and lost some parts.

I finally have all the parts to put it back into action.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Resurrecting a Pietta 1851
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 07:47:39 PM »
I'll say he lost a few parts!
Good luck; looks like a winner to me!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 04:00:46 AM »
What am I not seeing?  It looks like he lost six screws?  Regardless, it is always worth it restoring a revolver.  Good luck and good shooting.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:34:28 AM »
It could use a main spring, and not sure if the trigger/bolt spring is in there, either. Of course the screws and maybe something I'm not seeing.   :D
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 05:43:25 AM »
He lost all the springs, the 6 screws, and the barrel wedge.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »
A while back I bought a collection of 1851 Navy parts from a co-worker. He was going to "refinish it" and lost some parts.

I finally have all the parts to put it back into action.

Hi Electric, IMO you will get much more for the parts selling them on eBay than a new revolver costs. Sell the parts and then buy a new complete revolver.

There seems to be a cottage industry where people buy brass framed revolvers and then sell the individual parts on eBay. A steel frame should go for a good price.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 10:32:43 AM »
I'll pass.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 03:25:37 PM »
I'm with ya miner!  a mainspring, a couple screws, and a wedge, hell, you might have that lying around, lol!  At any rate, that is a fine lookin pistol, and i would definitely purchase the couple dollars of parts you need, and there ya go!
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline 44 Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »
Usually when you get a used bp gun they have most of the screws buggered up any way, check on screw set compared piece at a time . Bolt/trigger springs are good to have a spare. I would not go with a "light" main spring.
Looks like it will be a beauty!

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »
I have everything. Part of it is here, part is at the work apartment. I'll pick it up and put it together next week.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 04:12:25 AM »
regarding what 44Dave said about the mainspring, i have to agree.  I know a lot of guys like the light actions, but I swear I shoot better with a slightly stiffer action.  I never mess with the mainsprings, and unless they need replacing, I don't really fiddle with the other ones either. The one gun I have with a light mainspring is kind of finickiy on what kind of percussion cap it likes, which results in a little bit of aggravation at times

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 08:18:36 AM »
regarding what 44Dave said about the mainspring, i have to agree.  I know a lot of guys like the light actions, but I swear I shoot better with a slightly stiffer action.  I never mess with the mainsprings, and unless they need replacing, I don't really fiddle with the other ones either. The one gun I have with a light mainspring is kind of finickiy on what kind of percussion cap it likes, which results in a little bit of aggravation at times

Hi Dave, I have one 1851 and an 1860 where I installed reduced power springs. While reduced power springs in the 1858 Remington are reliable with caps, the reduced power springs in the Colts are problematic for reliable cap ignition. The Colts with the reduced power springs are solely used with conversion cylinders were the reduced power spring help minimize firing pin mushrooming.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 03:49:39 AM »
ahhh, I see!  That makes sense.  And thanks for the heads up.  I'm sure in the future I will more likely than not get a conversion cylinder for one of my guns, so now i know i can increase it's longevity with some reduced power springs.  Outstanding info! &*J

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 05:43:59 AM »
Actually I installed the reduced power main spring in my 1858 to ease the peening of the hammer. It seems that the firing pins are harder than the hammer nose. I had posted a pic of the hammer nose with it fairly deep indent. After installing the new main spring that stopped, and for good measure, I case hardened the hammer nose. That took away some of the coloring, but I feel better about it (even if it really didn't help  :-\ ).
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.