Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Interesting new Pietta 1851  (Read 11141 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Interesting new Pietta 1851
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
Hi, a new interesting Pietta 1851:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=16530

Seems a bit expensive.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:16:58 AM by Captainkirk »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting new Pietta 1851
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »
Richard, it's basically a 'generic' Thunderer, for less money.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:00:23 AM »
Richard, it's basically a 'generic' Thunderer, for less money.

Hi Captain, it's just so cute that I had to order one. I intend on using my 45 Colt 1851/1860 conversion cylinders with it. I also ordered the Wolff reduced power spring that I hope will fit in it. Reports on the action of that "Yank" 1851 is that the action is already very smooth, adding the reduced power spring should help even more. While my testing has shown that the reduced power spring works very well for 1858 caps, 1851 and 1860 revolvers have reliability issues setting off caps. However, the reduced power spring helps reduce conversion cylinder firing pin mushrooming. Pietta also makes a birdhead grip revolver in 1860, see:

It will be interesting to see if the snub 1851 is any smaller than the snub 1860. Maybe the only difference is that the 1858 has an octagon barrel while the 1860 is smooth round. I have a feeling that after my Uberti 1849 Pockets, this new snub will become my favorite handgun.

I will post a report after I receive the new 1851 snub and shoot it.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:25:56 AM »
Richard,
Looking forward to your review and range report. That is a very important function of our little group; to let others know the real truth about the guns they buy and own.
Enjoy it!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 01:53:10 PM »
I really like the looks of that gun.  I just can't seem to justify the price.  Let us know how it works for you Richard.  If you say it shoots as good as it looks I may have think harder about ordering one.   Both the 1851 and 1860 snubbys look good.

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 07:26:29 PM »
Must admit those are growing on me to. :)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 07:29:14 PM »
Glad to see ya back, Dell! &m(

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 08:11:44 PM »
Hi CK. My my it has been a while hasn't it. Sickness in the family has me on the go all of April and most of this month to.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 03:08:12 AM »
I've had one of those for around a yr or two now, it's one of the guns i use for concealed carry.  It packs a awesome punch and is surprising accurate.  From about 20 yrd, you can put a nice group close to the bullseye everytime, no problemo.  The meld of the 51 frame with the thunderer grip and backstrap makes for a great pointing gun, and it feels well balanced in the hand.  I was fortunate enuff to catch it afore it started climbing to the price it is now, but even at that price, i would consider that particular pistol a good buy.  I am contemplating on whether or not to send this or my 60 to Goons Gun Works for the modification package.  I have never had a cap jam or anything with this one, but with his mod, you never will.  Actually, if ya got the money, buy two, and then you'll have 10 shots (2 resting on open cylinders), kind of like a mid 1800's high capacity magazine  *6'
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 04:16:56 AM »
...buy two, and then you'll have 10 shots (2 resting on open cylinders), kind of like a mid 1800's high capacity magazine  *6'...

Does it not have the safety pins between the chambers?
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 04:33:32 AM »

I am contemplating on whether or not to send this or my 60 to Goons Gun Works for the modification package.  I have never had a cap jam or anything with this one, but with his mod, you never will.

Hi dave, it seems you were one of the first to get this model Pietta. I searched the internet on Goon's mod package. I'm not sure that I like doing extensive  mods to a gun system design that worked well for ~160yrs. The only mods I normally do is to put in reduced power springs to help reduce trigger pull and minimize conversion cylinder firing pin mushrooming. Capsucking seems to be normal with the Colt design. I resist shoot my 1849 Pockets with cap and ball because of capsucking. Your report not seeing capsucking in the 1851 snub "Yank" is encouraging.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 09:14:32 PM »
I've head JB weld inside the hammer can help with the cap sucking problems. Or have I heard wrong?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
I've head JB weld inside the hammer can help with the cap sucking problems. Or have I heard wrong?
You heard right. But, after all, JB weld is plastic, and I just can't get used to the idea. I'd have to use brazing or something similar.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 04:10:10 AM »
yeah, it's got the rest pins, but i always keep one cylinder empty.  Force of habit, i even do it if i carry a modern revolver.  The goons mods can let you fan even after firing multiple cylinders, the boys that damn good!  I don't have any conversions, so i have to go cap and ball with the 49s.  Only .32's i have are a S & W lemon squeezer and a Hopkins and Allen double action breaktop
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 05:26:31 AM »
Richard,
Looking forward to your review and range report. That is a very important function of our little group; to let others know the real truth about the guns they buy and own.
Enjoy it!

Hi Captain, my new Pietta 1851 Yank snubby came in the door yesterday. It is beautiful, a masterpiece. Fit and finish couldn't have been any better. The case hardening is gorgeous. Timing is perfect, even with my spare 1851/1860 cylinders. The wedge and lockup was so tight, it reminded me of an 18yr old virgin I once knew. What a nice smooth action. See:

I install reduced power springs in all my BP revolvers. The main purpose is to prolong the life of conversion cylinder firing pins. A secondary purpose is to lighten the hammer and trigger pull. It's like getting an excellent gunsmith trigger job for $15.

I tried the Wolff 32285 spring (the one I use in 1858), but it was too short. The Wolff 32280 works perfectly after shortening the part near the mounting hole ~1/16". Now I have a very nice trigger pull on the snub 1851.

I'm having a problem getting the conversion cylinders to work with this snub. They work fine with another Pietta 1851 I own, but the conversion cylinder won't rotate in the 1851 snub. I suspect that I need to shorten the hand a bit. Seems that the lockup is so tight that the bolt doesn't slip out of the cylinder slot as the hammer is pulled back. The hand pushes the cylinder slot on the bolt where the bolt won't drop on hammer pull. Working the action is loosening up this situation some. I can now get 100% reliable operation with the Howell conversion cylinder, but the problem still continues with the Taylor cylinder. I think that some normal parts wear may solve this issue.

Getting the nipples out of the cap and ball cylinder was typical of recent production Pietta cylinders. Pietta's Brunhilda the Hun with her 100ft-lb torque wrench is still working at the nipple installation station. I needed the Cash nipple wrench head, a ratchet wrench, and a large strap wrench to remove the nipples. There is a strange red material on the nipple and nipple hole threads. It's an alkaline material of some sort, not a loctite. Hot soapy water removes the red crud. The barrel wedge is still a bit difficult to remove and not having a loading lever, getting the barrel off the revolver is a PITA.

I loaded up four 1851/1860 cap and ball cylinders with 30gr (volume) Black MZ to test my new Pietta 3" barrel 1851 snub. I will chronograph one cylinder when testing this new revolver. I should have the results by early next week and report what I learn. Since I get ~713fps using Black MZ in an 8" 1858, I would be happy to see 500-550fps from the 3" 1851. Of course a load of either Swiss, Olde Eynsford, or Pryodex pellet would be significantly faster.

This adventure continues.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:31:59 AM by ssb73q »